• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One correction.

Handgun SALES will not stop. Handgun DELIVERIES will get VERY slow. Remember, active and retired military and LEO do not need to have an HQL.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    One correction.

Handgun SALES will not stop. Handgun DELIVERIES will get VERY slow. Remember, active and retired military and LEO do not need to have an HQL.

I thought that was only an exemption for the training required to get an HQL and not an exemption from the HQL in general.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I thought that was only an exemption for the training required to get an HQL and not an exemption from the HQL in general.

This subject is addressed in Paragraph No. 1 of the thread titled, "SB 281: A detailed summary for non-lawyers," which is here:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585

To summarize: The handgun license is not required for an active or "retired" member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard, for active or retired law enforcement officers. It is also not required to purchase any handgun defined in federal law as an antique, or curio/relic.

One must be age 21 to apply for the license. To obtain the license requires fingerprinting, a $50 fee paid to the state, and proof of satisfactory completion of either "a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary [of the Maryland State Police]," which must be at least 4 hours long and cover certain specified subjects, or a DNR course that involves certain components. However, there are certain people who are exempted from the training requirement, including anyone who "lawfully owns a regulated firearm" on the day the law takes effect, and also any "honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States" -- these people still need the handgun qualification license, but would not be subject to the training requirement. Another exemption to the training requirement applies to a "qualified handgun instructor," which includes among others "a certified firearms instructor who . . . has a certification issued by a nationally recognized firearms organization."

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    how do you prove you own a regulated firearm?

Welp, if'n you purchased in in MD, they know.

If you purchased it elsewhere, you have choices -

If this is in regard to the HQL:

1. Voluntarily register it/them
    2. Take the training

If this is in regard to any other aspect of the new law:

1. Voluntarily register it/them
    2. Keep your paperwork

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Yep, that is what LT Cook said yesterday

So, the legislature writes specific language into law and the executive branch (MSP) has unilateral unfettered ability to redefine words?

If "possess" is equal to "receive" then there's a big mess around here.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Please forgive me if this has been answered already. ..I just purchased a handgun yesterday. If the "not disapproved" comes after October 1st, which I'm sure it will, do I now have to do all the fingerprinting crap even though it was purchased before October?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    There has been a lot of chatter about "intent of the law" being part of the regulations.

No shock there.......

You cannot reinterpret language that is expressly written into legislation. There is no wiggle room.

If they redefine that word, there is going to be HUGE trouble with the entire PSA and Criminal Code.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Please forgive me if this has been answered already. ..I just purchased a handgun yesterday. If the "not disapproved" comes after October 1st, which I'm sure it will, do I now have to do all the fingerprinting crap even though it was purchased before October?

that's what is being said

but you cant even apply yet

what dealer did you use? do they release after 8 days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom