• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Can anyone recommend a laser bore sight? Looking to save money for helping the introductory work of sighting in my rifles. (I know this wont do everything but at least should get me on paper with the first shot.)

I'm probably gonna be using them with all my vintage sniper rifles in calipers 7.62x54, 8mm, 30-06 and 303

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There are two kinds. One has a tapered end that you stick into the barrel at the end. The tapering allows it to fit a range of openings at the muzzle. $20-30

The other kind is a caliber-specific cartridge with a laser in the round, and that just fits one kind of firearm for obvious reasons. Uses watch batteries. I prefer this kind. About $30 at gun stores or show

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Bore sight

I've seen some to for over $200, called sightlite but are they worth the money. Are Bore sights "you get what you pay for" or is there no reason to drop that kinda money?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I prefer the caliber-specific kind. I usually get them when on sale or cheap on Amazon (got some .223 ones for $1 a piece). They also make inserts for the larger calibers where you can insert a .223 or other small boresighter in the faux cartridge.

Just make sure you put them on a flat surface while the laser is on and roll them. You want to make sure the line the laser makes is straight, this ensures the laser isn't canted. If it is, return for a refund.

I have this one as well:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/kruger-optical-magnetic-boresighter?a=691328

As you'd expect, its not worth buying.

My favorite, and most successful, way to bore-sight bolt guns (like those you mentioned) is to simply remove the bolt and look down the barrel from the rear of the gun. Ensure the target is centered in the bore and then adjust your scope to also be centered on the target. This is easiest with a lead sled or vice. I'm usually in the black on my first shot at 25 yards if I do this well.

Finally, I'd recommend sighting-in at 25 yards first before moving to 100 yards. Nothing more frustrating than not being on paper.

Irish64

Mar 13, 2013
    Monrovia
    Good thread. I've been reading up on these and was thinking about placing a mark on the caliber specific type. Placing the mark @ 12 then @ 3, 6 & 9 with the firearm in a vise, just to double check the concentricity & parallelism of the laser sight with the bore. Or is this overkill?

Edit- question answered, thanks!

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    Those cartridge boresighters have some pretty poor reviews on amazon. Has any tried these? I am not sure if it is worth it to save probably a dozen rounds downrange, but the reviews are very good and it works on just about any gun:

$100 SiteLite-SL-100-Mag-Laser-Boresighter
    $150 Brighter laser SiteLite-SL-150-Ultra-Laser-Professional-Boresighte
    $220 Brighter Green Laser SiteLite-SL-500-Ultra-Green-Professional-Boresighter

I think it would be very handy to have the gun pretty much dialed in when you get to the range.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have the SL-150 and it works pretty well. Prior to that I always just took the bolt or BCG out and set a paper plate with a dot on it at 25ft. I usually was on paper at 50 yards.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm all for tech toys but really it's super easy to do it the old fashioned way as noted above, pull the bolt, look thru the barrel and have it centered on something 100 yds away (soda can, orange dot on a tree, etc), then align your scope or sights on the same thing, double check your bore is still aligned and you're good to go. shoot 3 rounds at 25 yds, do some fine adjustment, then go to 100. easy peasy.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a SL-100. Works very well. FWIW, I dont think think the SL150 uses a brighter laser, just has a bigger battery for longer runtime. The green laser SL500 is brighter but $$$. The SiteLite even works in pistols and 22LR.

W/ cartridge type boresighters you have to worry about the chamber tolerances. Tight match chambers can give good repeatable results but looser chambers will not. Plus the whole need one (or an adapter) for every caliber thing.

Edit: Some guns you can't sight down the bore so the old "pull the bolt, look thru the barrel" trick doesn't work. Garand, SKS, AK47, etc. I guess you could use a mirror... ;)

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I found the caliber specific bargain lasers to be somewhere between useless and a waste of money. Because of chamber tolerances, the laser will point to a different spot every time you move the gun.

I wrote off laser sighters until was looking for something to spend a handful of gift certificates on. I got the SL-500 and couldn't be happier with the results. I only have one good scope, and the SiteLite allows me to move it between rifles with ease. It also works on every handgun perfectly.

As an official holder of an Old Fart card, I have to chuckle at the "just remove the bolt" suggestions. The SiteLite will get you on paper, and right in the comfort of your own hallway. The software that comes with it will generate really good calibration targets. I would rather spend my range time shooting.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sighting in the easy way:

1) Prop up the rifle on sandbags or a rest with the bolt out (AR types, just use the upper).
    2) Align with something between 25 - 100 yards away. A target, a spot of paint, etc.
    3) Align scope crosshairs or sights with the item from #2. Double check rifle is still aligned.
    4) Fire 1 round. I use 25 or 50 yards for this part.
    5) Prop rifle so that sights or cross hairs are aligned with the point of aim used in #4.
    6) Adjust sights (WITHOUT moving rifle) so they are aligned with the bullet hole.
    7) Fire 1 round, it should be pretty close to point of aim.
    8) Move back to 100 yards, fire one round and do #5, #6, #7 again.

You might want to offset the point of impact versus point of aim on the closer target to be closer for 100. And possibly at 100 for max point blank range if desired.

For my .308, if the point of impact at 50 yards is about 1/4" low of the point of aim, you will be pretty much spot on at 100.

For maximum point blank range, my .308 should be sighted in to impact 4 inches high at 100 yards. This gives a +/- 5 inches of point of aim from the muzzle to 320 yards.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Don't recall the brand model of mine but it is multi caliber on the tip slides on a plug for the caliber you are doing it is held on by a Allen screw it was less that 40 bucks . I have used it on 22 9mm 45 223 and a ak and still haven't used all the plugs :)

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have had a Laserlyte (or something like that, I'd have to check) for years. It's the kind with the inserts that screw on. It has never failed to get me close to POI. I usually do it at night with a piece of white paper for an aiming point 50yds away. The laser stays bright enough to shine a flashlight onto the paper to see the crosshairs in the darkness. Just dial the crosshairs into the laser dot. A shot or two and a few clicks at the range to dial up to distance and voila! Works for me.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    Sighting in the easier way:

1) Insert SiteLite
    2) With laser on printed target's laser dot, align scope crosshairs with target crosshairs.
    3) All done. Go to range, fine tune and have gun.

No propping or immoblilizing required. Takes about five minutes.

Pinecone, I do respect your easy way and have done it several times. The SiteLite just appeals to the lazy me. The lazy me is strong and is known to spent good money to accomplish his goals.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have also had better luck with the no laser boresight method than with one.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    As an official holder of an Old Fart card, I have to chuckle at the "just remove the bolt" suggestions. The SiteLite will get you on paper, and right in the comfort of your own hallway. I would rather spend my range time shooting.

sounds like you've done it the old fashioned way, but just for the sake of others, you can do it the old fashioned way in your home or backyard, doesn't need to be done at the range where I agree range time would be wasted. I either set up my rifle on the kitchen table and pick a 'target' in the backyard, or just do it outside from the back deck.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    I have the Wheeler Professional Laser Bore Sighter (Green). The bore sighter attaches to the end of the barrel via magnetic attachment. The Green LED is super bright and the instructions are legible and understandable. Works on firearms that have the ability to attach a magnet to the muzzle. The "sight in" got me on the paper to permit final "shoot in".

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Walmart sells one for $40 I think. I have it and it works fine.

It has different sized rubberized ends that you screw on and has a tapered end as well.

Blue Fins

Aug 23, 2011
    I use a taper style (laserlyte) on handguns and rifles and caliber specific on shotguns. Either works fine. I had no complaints. The only thing is that on the laserlyte style, the roller switch has to be on the bottom and the taper has to be very tight up against the end of. The barrel. I read that somewhere in the instructions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom