• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    probably not big enough, they test safes on gun capacity without scopes so if your rifles are all scoped then four rifles and a shotgun will fill it to capacity and or be a pain in getting them in or out

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Don't do it! Waaaay too small! Most shooters new to safes don't keep in mind that you need a place for keeping ammo dry/away from heat also. Trust me, I made this mistake when I first started. My rule of thumb is always keep 1000 rounds of each caliber you own on hand (except for shotgun). That being said, figure how big of a safe you need for all firearms, and future firearms, and 1k rounds of each caliber. BAM! recipe for success!

awdnick2986

MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2013
    If you are not in a rush for one right now I would wait until Black Friday time. I know Dick's and other places are not that bad on black friday and you can get some really good deals. But like everyone else said, bigger is always better if you have the room. I will say I have their field and stream corner safe which I think is a 3 gun safe. Very small but serves the purpose I need it to and well built for the money.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Buy the biggest/best safe you can afford.

If you can only afford a $400 safe, buy it. If you can afford more, don't cheap out.

If you can't come up with the cash at one time, put it on a CC an pay it off over a year.

Sorry, but without knowing your true budget, that's the best advice I can give you.

Edit: That said, I wouldn't give Dick's on dime of my money.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    And on other threads here it was mentioned numerous times to try to stay away from the locks that have the digital locks? I saw the Safari ones at Walmart that had that. They were fire rated. I assume those are a no-no? It was the 24 gun one for like $499 or something and around 286lbs. Perfect to slide down my townhouse stairs to the basement. No walk out at my place. Underground. The comparable ones at the Ghettosburg Dicks at the Rio cost just a little more, are heavier, and do not have the digital lock. So, still the rule of thumb to try to stay away from the digital locks?

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    I've been told that the S&G manual rotating dial locks are very reliable ... The digital ones seem quicker though.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    If you sift through youtube, you will find videos on how to bypass a digital keypad safe in no time at all. Go with a dial if you can.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    If you sift through youtube, you will find videos on how to bypass a digital keypad safe in no time at all. Go with a dial if you can.

Damn, quick replies. That and something about what happens after the battery fails. Thanks so much..

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Most safes won't hold the number of guns they say they do. I would say, if it says it will hold 10 guns, then you'd probably only get 7 in there safely. I would look for something in the 20 gun capacity.

Tractor Supply has a decent selection at good prices. Give them a try.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=105193

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nBhOjWHbD6M

The cheap safes may give you a bit of piece of mind, but they are not really burglar proof. In the second link above, they break into a safe in 1 minute 42 seconds.

The heavier the safe, the better. And you DEFINITELY want to attach it the wall and floor. And preferably put it so the side of the safe away from the hinges is against a wall (makes it harder to pry open).

And no matter what, GET A BIGGER SAFE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED. As mentioned, the ratings are for uncsoped rifles or shotguns. Very slim. Also, at full capacity, you will not be able to get things in and out without banging them into each other. And finally, do you really think you will not be buying any more firearms?

I do NOT store ammunition in a safe. In case of fire, if it gets too hot inside, the entire safe could become a bomb with shrapnel.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Tractor Supply has Winchester safes. I have one and love it. I think it was around $700.00

Most safes won't hold the number of guns they say they do. I would say, if it says it will hold 10 guns, then you'd probably only get 7 in there safely. I would look for something in the 20 gun capacity.

Tractor Supply has a decent selection at good prices. Give them a try.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom