• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    TLR1s for me on the m&p45, but it's not the primary source of light for defense, my handheld LAPG Operator L2 is...or a light switch even depending on where I am. 300 lumens isn't overpowering bright simply because I don't look directly at the hot-spot of the beam when looking around. It's bright enough to just splash on the ground or a wall and illuminate an area....without muzzle-banging anyone.

A handheld light gives you a lot of flexibility for how to navigate around in the dark. The TLR1 is just to enable me to always have a light if I have my gun...more of a backup than anything. Poke around and try to find some low-light classes....or just toss that tlr3 on an airsoft gun and challenge a friend or family member with an airsoft to force-on-force airsoft tag in the dark. You'll quickly discover what works and what doesn't by running through things a couple times.

http://www.persecsystems.com/page/online-store#!/~/product/category=9758276&id=14796458
    here's a source for a holster if you need one for the light.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would vote brighter is better being as it has a more blinding effect on the person at the other end of the pipe. As long as you can maintain a good sight picture.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You're not just saying that as an unbiased observer are you? :innocent0

BTW-I happen to agree with you. Have them on all my rifles.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    That guy has a lot of great videos. My eyes naturally prefer what he was describing with that Inforce light. I just don't care for a momentary only switch on a hand gun.

The TLR-3 is probably more what I'm looking for in brightness.
    I have a TLR 3 on my HK45CT. More than adequate IMO for ID inside a home.

Just got my TLR-3 from H&K (rebate bish!) and I can say that 125 lumen is PLENTY inside your home in the dark. It does not blow out my night vision like the TLR-1HL 630 lumen does (just off white paint) though I should note I have higher than average light sensitivity due to surgery.

For a rifle I'd probably be looking at an actual flashlight mounted on rings.

BanjoPicker

Aug 29, 2014
    Harford
    Ill attest to the "too bright" comment from Travis Haley. I have the TLR-1 HL on my carry gun, and while its wonderful for working outside in urban and rural areas, I switch to my hand held lights when working inside because its just way too bright!

On the flip side, if you are able to take a course with Mr Haley, I highly reccommend it! He has a ton of information and advice inside his head.

Blue Fins

Aug 23, 2011
    That is a good question... I don't believe I've seen any other than using a tac light and a holder.
    Sounds like something I need to research.
    Will advise if I find anything. :patriot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom