• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think it is a felony on MD to shoot ducks over bait. We need to think very carefully before saying all felons are evil. Unless you are on parole or in prison, I think you should be allowed to have arms. If someone is so dangerous they cannot own guns, they should be either in prison or executed.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I think it is a felony on MD to shoot ducks over bait. We need to think very carefully before saying all felons are evil. Unless you are on parole or in prison, I think you should be allowed to have arms. If someone is so dangerous they cannot own guns, they should be either in prison or executed.

Felony? I dunno and even doubt it but definitely illegal. A buddy of mine in Cape St. Clair got nailed in his front yard for doing it. (1975 ish) Helicopter landed on his beach :lol2: and I think it was a 500 dollar fine in court. The judge didn't buy it that the corn was left over from the kids in summer. :D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    BlackBart said:
    Felony? I dunno and even doubt it but definitely illegal. A buddy of mine in Cape St. Clair got nailed in his front yard for doing it. (1975 ish) Helicopter landed on his beach :lol2: and I think it was a 500 dollar fine in court. The judge didn't buy it that the corn was left over from the kids in summer. :D

Looks like it is not. I heard that from my FIL, he's a lawyer, so figured he was right. I can't find anything that says it is a felony.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007

http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/finesch/dnr.pdf

A quick check looks like nothing is prohibiting except repeat offender boating while OUI/CDS, and they're still misdemeanors. Nothing in the DNR regs looks like a felony.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

He should have used the: "I was protecting my corn from those thieving ducks"
    defense.;)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    We need to think very carefully before saying all felons are evil. Unless you are on parole or in prison, I think you should be allowed to have arms. If someone is so dangerous they cannot own guns, they should be either in prison or executed.

:thumbsup:

I have been saying this for a long time now. If you serve your time in jail you should either be coming out as a free man, or not at all.

Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    Yes it does!

If you willingly got into a stolen car, then your hanging out with the wrong crowd.

What rewards do I get for not being a felon?

oh wait

I can own regulated fire arms!

Overall I agree with what you're saying. If it was recently then I'd tell him it was his own fault. But he was 18 years old. You don't make the brightest decisions when you are 18. He is now 42. So 24 years have passed with no lawbreaking. I just don't think forever is a fitting time of punishment for one mistake made when he was barely an adult.

In some states he can legally own regulated firearms. Most states have a time frame (like not been convicted of a non violent felony in the last 10 years). But his work keeps him in MD. So it's a no go for now.

I'm pretty sure if you met him... you wouldn't think he was evil, or a miscreant, or someone that didn't get to defend his home. Mainly because he's not.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I have been saying this for a long time now. If you serve your time in jail you should either be coming out as a free man, or not at all.

No, since before the Constitution was ratified there have been 2 classes of crimes: misdemeanors and felonies. You do your time and walk free from misdemeanors, felonies were intended to have lifelong consequences but not all required incarceration until death; that's why the Constitution barred those convicted of felonies from some offices and voting.

Its nothing new.

Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    No, since before the Constitution was ratified there have been 2 classes of crimes: misdemeanors and felonies. You do your time and walk free from misdemeanors, felonies were intended to have lifelong consequences but not all required incarceration until death; that's why the Constitution barred those convicted of felonies from some offices and voting.

Its nothing new.

If MD is going to follow the constitution then do it all the way. Instead of picking the parts they want to follow and ignoring the rest.

Just my opinion.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    He should have used the: "I was protecting my corn from those thieving ducks"
    defense.;)

That might have worked, shame his hunting days are probably over. I've invited him down for deer but the O2 tank would be cumbersome in the woods. Too many cigarettes and cans of beer to excess. But having a pit blind with a Golden that was probably smarter than most humans to shoot over was one hell of a lot of fun. :thumbsup: That dog would not only put the decoys IN the water where directed she would go get them when the hunt was done as well.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

And I've said for a long time that one doesn't "serve" at all while incarcerated, he's doing his time for getting caught ****ing up. Serving is a misnomer that's grossly overused. Someone with a history of and being convicted of assaults shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm with his past history.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Overall I agree with what you're saying. If it was recently then I'd tell him it was his own fault. But he was 18 years old. You don't make the brightest decisions when you are 18. He is now 42. So 24 years have passed with no lawbreaking. I just don't think forever is a fitting time of punishment for one mistake made when he was barely an adult.

In some states he can legally own regulated firearms. Most states have a time frame (like not been convicted of a non violent felony in the last 10 years). But his work keeps him in MD. So it's a no go for now.

I'm pretty sure if you met him... you wouldn't think he was evil, or a miscreant, or someone that didn't get to defend his home. Mainly because he's not.

So you're saying he can legally own a firearm in another state according to that State's laws? :confused:
    FYI a felony conviction is a Federal prohibiter, as is any conviction for a crime carrying more than two years, and it applies nationwide.

Drnknmnky13

Nov 12, 2011
    Baltimore
    So you're saying he can legally own a firearm in another state according to that State's laws? :confused:
    FYI a felony conviction is a Federal prohibiter, as is any conviction for a crime carrying more than two years, and it applies nationwide.

I don't know all the laws as I never had the need to really research. But he said when he was in AZ he could legally purchase handguns. I don't know the details of his case but do know he only did 9 months.

Really the point I was trying to make is that people make mistakes. Not all "felons" are the guys breaking into houses and commitng crimes. Some of them are good, honest, law abiding citizens who had a lapse of judgment. Its easy to throw the felon blanket on everything. Just like people throw the "gun nut" blanket on most of us. Although some of you might deserve that. :-)

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Drunken Monkey did not say anything about is cousin knowing he was in a stolen vehicle.

My personal opinion.
    Unless you are in presently in jail, it is your right to bear arms. If you have served your sentence for your crime, then you have served your sentence. (I can't help it that the judicial system is so f'ed up). Like Durnken Monkey's cousin, does he have no less right to defend himself and love ones? I do not think so.
    Will there be bad guys out there that will get a hold of a gun 3mins after they step out of jail to go find there next victim. You bet there will be..But guess what? Those are the guys that already don't follow laws to begin with. So if everyone who wants to arm themselves to protect themselves regardless should, then more people that make wrong choices in life can protect themselves also and not be victims, as well as deliver justice to those that do attempt to take their lives for whatever reason. It is a lot cheaper to bury bad guys then lock them up for 50years.. In Summary, let them all arm up, let the bad guys be bad guys they will get what is coming to them from the good guys(gun carrying good guys criminal history or not), God will sort it out.

Could not have said it better myself The way the law is written now not just Felons but disqualifing crimes So I get in a bar fight and this carrys a sentence of more than 1 year so now I can't protect myself or family Bull shit so now I'm the bad guy The way laws are written good people are turn into bad people over night and before people say you should walk away well shit happens in life

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    straightsilver3 said:
    Could not have said it better myself The way the law is written now not just Felons but disqualifing crimes So I get in a bar fight and this carrys a sentence of more than 1 year so now I can't protect myself or family Bull shit so now I'm the bad guy The way laws are written good people are turn into bad people over night and before people say you should walk away well shit happens in life

I see this as a huge problem. Also, what people do at 18 is not necessarily what they would do at 48 or 68.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom