• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    Hello all!

I'm new here, name is Brian, and I'm looking for some advice. I've wanted an AR for a long time, and for whatever reason.... Finances, family illness, etc I have been unable to do so, until now. Price is definitely an issue, and so far I've narrowed the field down to two choices.... DPMS Oracle, or Eagle Arms M15.... Both under $600. I'm leaning towards the DPMS, but it'll be the Ca compliant model, so I'll have to contend with removing the bullet button, and getting a set of flip up sights... Not too bad. The M15 will have A2 front sights and a carry handle with rear sight. Just curious If anyone has any experience with either of these rifles to help me make a decision, thanks for your time!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Dont have any experience with either rifle but you could build one yourself that fits your budget. Palmetto state armory sells kits that include everything but a stripped lower and rear sight. Their chf and premium uppers are built by fn and are an excellent value. Plenty of you tube videos online to help you put it together and plenty of knowledgeable folks on this site that can help if you run into any problems.

Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    I've considered going that route, but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle such a feat just yet. It has definitely been considered. How exactly does building an AR work with MSP guidelines and the lower receiver?

Edit: scratch that, just read up on that. I think I'll go for a prebuilt for the time being, and then build one. It's nice to know I have that option open to me.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    The lower receiver is a regulated item in MD, same as if it was a complete firearm. Purchasing one is basically like buying a handgun except that you don't need a HQL. The same paperwork and a 7 day wait apply. To legally assemble a complete AR rifle in MD, you'll want a barrel that is unquestionably of the HBAR variety.

I assembled my first AR from parts last year and thought it was very easy, however I've been doing mechanical and technical work for over 40 years. I can see how someone with no mechanical background would be somewhat intimidated by the build.

Check out what our IPs have available too. Some of them may have something in your price range in stock or be able to order one. Remember if you are ordering from out of state, you'll need to pay shipping & transfer fees too. That's money that could be put towards a better grade fiream or for ammunition.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Hi Brian!
    You'd do well to seek out the guidance from guys like Engage Armament (or similar) for options. Not only're you likely to save a bit o' cash, but you're likely to be presented with options that owners may not be aware of that can result in a much nicer rifle than you might've otherwise purchased and/or assembled on your own.
    Whatever you do, good luck and enjoy the ride.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Welcome aboard. Be sure to introduce yourself :)
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

There's no reason to go after the CA Compliant DPMS. HBAR rifles can be found here without bullet buttons, and removing them is not an easy task.

Check with any of the MD Shooters Industry Partners and you'll probably find a HBAR you can afford. http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

As mentioned, you can buy a lower receiver and then put the rest together yourself.

I really like Del-Ton kits. They sell a 16" Rifle kit with a heavy barrel (MD Compliant) and a 16" Mid-Length kit, also with a heavy barrel. Mid-length is a sweet shooter.
    http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm

If you shop around, this route can cost ya between $550 and $650.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Of your two choices, the Eagle Arms is the better buy. If they're roughly the same price you'll end up cheaper because you won't have as many parts to swap out once you get bored with the original configuration.

Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    Apparently the DPMS ca compliant is the only oracle that has a Hbar, from my research..... Could be wrong. I've been talking with one of your ip's jlowe about my purchase. I really don't think I'm quite ready to build my own right now.... The bb is hard to swap out? I'd heard it was fairly straightforward.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Apparently the DPMS ca compliant is the only oracle that has a Hbar, from my research..... Could be wrong. I've been talking with one of your ip's jlowe about my purchase. I really don't think I'm quite ready to build my own right now.... The bb is hard to swap out? I'd heard it was fairly straightforward.
    Straightforward yes. But buying tools and parts can be expensive same as paying someone else to do it for you.
    Then add the expense of swapping out stocks (if so inclined) and the nickels and dimes add up.

Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    Of your two choices, the Eagle Arms is the better buy. If they're roughly the same price you'll end up cheaper because you won't have as many parts to swap out once you get bored with the original configuration.

How are they compared to one another as far as quality goes?

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    How are they compared to one another as far as quality goes?

DPMS is considered lower budget, lower quality, that said you can make pretty much any AR super reliable with a $200 parts kit if you know what to buy.

Eagle Arms is a division of Armalite, only knock I have on that gun is the non chromed barrel and some people have issues with Armalite still selling to LEOs in ban states.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Piecing a lower together is very straightforward ;)

Some manufacturers use adhesives to reinforce the buttons.

Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    DPMS is considered lower budget, lower quality, that said you can make pretty much any AR super reliable with a $200 parts kit if you know what to buy.

Eagle Arms is a division of Armalite, only knock I have on that gun is the non chromed barrel and some people have issues with Armalite still selling to LEOs in ban states.

How would they compare to the windham hbc?

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So would that in your opinion be worth the extra $200? Not taking into consideration their lifetime warranty....

If it would be a general purpose rifle yes. Target shooting, high round count classes, home defense, self defense, hunting, SHTF rifle yes.
    For plinking a coupla hundred rounds a year out of no. The unlined barrel means it will be susceptible to extraction issues as the rifle fouls and it will be harder to clean and barrel life will be reduced compared to a chrome lined barrel. So clean it more often and don't do magdumps or bumpfire.

Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    If it would be a general purpose rifle yes. Target shooting, high round count classes, home defense, self defense, hunting, SHTF rifle yes.
    For plinking a coupla hundred rounds a year out of no. The unlined barrel means it will be susceptible to extraction issues as the rifle fouls and it will be harder to clean and barrel life will be reduced compared to a chrome lined barrel. So clean it more often and don't do magdumps or bumpfire.
    Sounds good, thank you. I wish I could do the extra $200 and get the windham, but I'm a public servant, and one income household since my wife is disabled. It'd be nice for home defense but I've already got a mossberg 12g to fill that role.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Sounds good, thank you. I wish I could do the extra $200 and get the windham, but I'm a public servant, and one income household since my wife is disabled. It'd be nice for home defense but I've already got a mossberg 12g to fill that role.

The AR is better for defensive use than the Mossberg, higher available capacity, less recoil and reduced chance of over penetration. Just clean and oil it so the barrel doesn't rust and you should be well served and you can upgrade as time goes on.

Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    The AR is better for defensive use than the Mossberg, higher available capacity, less recoil and reduced chance of over penetration. Just clean and oil it so the barrel doesn't rust and you should be well served and you can upgrade as time goes on.

I could also upgrade the barrel at a later time. Thanks so much for everyone's advice.... Think im gonna go with the Armalite eagle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom