• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm the OP, and I have not had a chance to try the rifle again. If it warms up and I get a day off, I will post a range report.
    This thread certainly took on a life of it's own though.:)

They usually do, and I see you've now gained access to the water cooler, it really gets rolling now.:innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm the OP, and I have not had a chance to try the rifle again. If it warms up and I get a day off, I will post a range report.
    This thread certainly took on a life of it's own though.:)

Like Buff7mm said, try the WC. All kinds of tomfoolery. Just gotta respect the rules.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I will certainly look into it. I'm the first to admit that I really don't know much about AR's. That is why I figure I'm likely the reason for the problem.

I don't have any tools specifically for cleaning an AR. I actually couldn't find a small enough jag to clean the barrel. Any good recommendations for an all in one cleaning kit for an AR?

Cabelas sells a new AR cleaning shooting kit from Wheeler, though it's pricey --- I believe it's $210. It does not include a bolt recess lug cleaner --- though mine makes it difficult for me to move or twist the recess cotton patches around in the lug recesses.

I always enjoy receiving Cabelas "Shooting" free catalog flyer in the mail ---- Brownells also has an excellent {free} firearms equipment and ammo catalog as well. If you're looking for AR parts from different manufactures...check out Brownells.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    The charging handle works on pull, only. Pushing it forward does not do anything. Take a look at one and tell me how it can push the bolt forward?

Again...I disagree ---- When performing a daytime press check {when not using the Forward Assist button or the bolt carrier thumb {scallop} grove}, you increase the momentum of the BCG by "driving" {not riding} the charging handle forward with your support hand {for right handed shooters}.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    What I would consider...if using the FA on an AR --- is Murphy's Law --- which can cause a "Fatal Malfunction" if it breaks.

"There is a tiny roll pin in the FA mechanism that holds the 'Finger' that is used to engage the bolt carrier to move it forward. Behind the 'Finger' is a detent and a spring. If the roll pin happens to break, {and yes, I have seen 3 of them broken} the spring pushes the 'Finger' into the side of the bolt in what amounts to the same thing as you permanently pressing hard on the FA button. This renders your weapon instantly useless until an armorer removes the FA assembly an dislodges the 'Finger' thereby freeing the bolt carrier to once again move normally.

This is considered a Fatal Malfunction as far as the weapon is concerned."

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Again...I disagree ---- When performing a daytime press check {when not using the Forward Assist button or the bolt carrier thumb {scallop} grove}, you increase the momentum of the BCG by "driving" {not riding} the charging handle forward with your support hand {for right handed shooters}.

Lock the bolt back, now drive the charging handle forward by any method you want. You'll now notice that the bolt carrier group is in no way attached to the charging handle.
    Now with the BCG unlocked, I don't give a shit if you get the charging handle moving forward at the speed of light, it ain't going to increase the forward momentum of the BCG.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What I would consider...if using the FA on an AR --- is Murphy's Law --- which can cause a "Fatal Malfunction" if it breaks.

"There is a tiny roll pin in the FA mechanism that holds the 'Finger' that is used to engage the bolt carrier to move it forward. Behind the 'Finger' is a detent and a spring. If the roll pin happens to break, {and yes, I have seen 3 of them broken} the spring pushes the 'Finger' into the side of the bolt in what amounts to the same thing as you permanently pressing hard on the FA button. This renders your weapon instantly useless until an armorer removes the FA assembly an dislodges the 'Finger' thereby freeing the bolt carrier to once again move normally.

This is considered a Fatal Malfunction as far as the weapon is concerned."

Nope. If a F.A. Ratchet breaks, the F.A. is retracted unless pressed. Nothing catastropic or weapon deadlining will happen.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The guy that I quoted: Said that if the "roll pin breaks", not a "F.A. Ratchet" --- Forgive me...if they are one and the same.

There is 2 pins. Neither one breaking will deadline the AR.

Unless you have some junk built AR the F.A. will not break from a human hand activating it. I hit them with 4# Hammers, 2x4's, Rubber Mallets, Concrete Benches and all kinds of things. Never broken one. I have seen the Ratchets worn or peened, but it wont deadline the rifle.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    There is 2 pins. Neither one breaking will deadline the AR.

Unless you have some junk built AR the F.A. will not break from a human hand activating it. I hit them with 4# Hammers, 2x4's, Rubber Mallets, Concrete Benches and all kinds of things. Never broken one. I have seen the Ratchets worn or peened, but it wont deadline the rifle.

I have to disagree again...apparently it does happen.

Twichinator, over at AR15.COM has "actually seen quite a few," who claims he has "20 years of being a military weapons instructor and armorer."

He says "The only problem is that if the little pin {pawl spring pin} goes when the weapon is operating {especially when the bolt is forward} it jams the weapon and renders it inoperable until its fixed. The fix is to remove the entire assembly which requires a hammer and punch to drive out the Forward Assist retaining pin."

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    Title: How common is it for a Forward Assist pawl pins to break?
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=508937

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have to disagree again...apparently it does happen.

Twichinator, over at AR15.COM has "actually seen quite a few," who claims he has "20 years of being a military weapons instructor and armorer."

He says "The only problem is that if the little pin {pawl spring pin} goes when the weapon is operating {especially when the bolt is forward} it jams the weapon and renders it inoperable until its fixed. The fix is to remove the entire assembly which requires a hammer and punch to drive out the Forward Assist retaining pin."

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    Title: How common is it for a Forward Assist pawl pins to break?
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=508937

Not all Armorers know the weapon as well as they think they do. A man who WROTE the Colt Armorers Manual called me a few months back asking me how to use Erosion Gauges, and if I would sell the ones I have.

As far as the guy you quoted, he is incorrect. The pin for the Ratchet can break, and like I said, its rare, BUT when/if this happens its from ABUSE or from an inferior build.

If the F.A. ratchet breaks you roll the rifle/carbine on the right side (Ejection Port facing the Deck), then take smack the left side of the Upper Receiver with a heavy but padded object (Rubber Mallet, Helmet, Polymer Magazine or similar). This will dislodge the pawl into the channel it resides.

With the rifle/carbine still on its side, pivot the upper so the BCG can be removed. Now the broken pawl will fall out.

Reassemble and shoot until you can get the F.A. replaced.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    You can't put forward pressure in the bcg with the charging handle, but the slower you move it forward after a press check the more you would be restricting the buffer spring from driving it into battery. Maybe the instructor meant shove it forward fast rather than drive the bolt forward. Just trying to make sense of this...

More trying to avoid the need for the FA than a substitute.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    You can't put forward pressure in the bcg with the charging handle, but the slower you move it forward after a press check the more you would be restricting the buffer spring from driving it into battery. Maybe the instructor meant shove it forward fast rather than drive the bolt forward. Just trying to make sense of this...

More trying to avoid the need for the FA than a substitute.

Chris Costa said to "drive the bolt {which includes the bolt carrier} forward" with the charging handle to fully seat the round into battery, while doing a press check in a possible critical situation -- not riding the bolt forward that might cause a failure to fully go into battery.

It's the same as "shove it forward fast" --- its just Costa's choice of words by him saying "drive the bolt forward."

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Chris Costa said to "drive the bolt {which includes the bolt carrier} forward" with the charging handle to fully seat the round into battery, while doing a press check in a possible critical situation -- not riding the bolt forward that might cause a failure to fully go into battery.

It's the same as "shove it forward fast" --- its just Costa's choice of words by him saying "drive the bolt forward."

It friggin impossible. The bolt/buffer/spring move faster than you can ''drive'' them forward. The bolt drives the charging handle, not the other way around.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

I understand that you don't want to ride the charging handle but you're not driving anything with the charging handle except the bolt backwards.
    Do you even own an AR? I'm thinking not if you can't understand that you cannot seat the bolt in battery with the charging handle, it impossible since the charging handle is not attached to the BCG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom