• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSJ

Dec 20, 2013
    Rockville
    I'd like to give a big shout out to Chasbo00 for the intro to IDPA course. The course was well thought out and covered all the basics of match protocol, rules and scoring. As promised, I came away ready to signup for my first match.

I was the least experienced of the group and want to thank CATMdude, Tactics and Chasbo00 for making me feel right at home.

Anyone who is on the fence about taking IDPA should definitely give it a try and this course is a great way to get started ..... urban prone here I come!!!

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Thanks for the kind words CSJ. By the way, when are you starting your course on how to shoot urban prone? Multiple less than two-inch, three-shot groups shot at speed on different targets from about 15 yards - mighty impressive.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    Just as a guide what course would qualify as basic or intermediate? I went to crucible
    In Fredericksburg a few years ago for work and it felt like we shot for three days straight. I had blisters on my hands. We also did high speed maneuverability driving but we never shot from a car. It was the protective measures course I think. We shot the M11, M9, M4, and shotgun.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Just as a guide what course would qualify as basic or intermediate?

Just about any live-fire handgun course that results in someone having a basic or intermediate level of handgun skill will do. Those attending this course need to know and be able to apply basic handgun fundamentals and demonstrate basic safe handgun handling skills. Attendees also need to be comfortable operating their handgun to include safely drawing and holstering with a concealment garment and dealing with gun/ammo malfunctions.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to attend this class. It was a great class and basically a slow paced mini match. The trick to IDPA is all the little intricacies and Charlie did a great job answering all of my questions. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can not wait to shoot my first match at Thurmont this weekend. Thanks again!!

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to attend this class. It was a great class and basically a slow paced mini match. The trick to IDPA is all the little intricacies and Charlie did a great job answering all of my questions. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can not wait to shoot my first match at Thurmont this weekend. Thanks again!!

Which squad & roster # are you for this weekend?

Here's who's shooting so far:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4116527&postcount=21

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I had a great time at the class as well. I enjoyed meeting some new people, even though I was the oddball of the group for not having a name that starts with "C." The class was a great refresher on the rules as I hadn't been to a match in well over a year. I liked the way the class was set up. Some talking, then some shooting and repeat. There was a good variety of stages that would commonly be encountered at the matches. This is an excellent class for anyone thinking of doing IDPA. If you have some basic skills and are not sure if you want to devote an entire day to IDPA, this half-ish day class will give you a good taste of what it is like.

I wish I could be at this weekend's match...

Last edited:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Yes. I'll start them up again in March weather permitting. Current plan is to have two per month.

Chas if you need SO help I am in, if not, I'll still shoot. Never been to Thurmont but looking forward to it!

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Chas if you need SO help I am in, if not, I'll still shoot. Never been to Thurmont but looking forward to it!

Thanks for your kind offer Gryphon. We IDPA members at Thurmont are going to take a look at expanding training opportunities before next match season and we'll probably need some volunteer SOs to help.

Come on out and shoot a match at Thurmont when you get a chance. It's a great facility for action shooting - nine bays.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks for your kind offer Gryphon. We IDPA members at Thurmont are going to take a look at expanding training opportunities before next match season and we'll probably need some volunteer SOs to help.

Come on out and shoot a match at Thurmont when you get a chance. It's a great facility for action shooting - nine bays.
    Chasbo00, I just emailed you about this. Also, I mentioned another interested org to you a few weeks ago, & they're ready to move ahead as well, so I'd like to talk with you more about that as well.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Chasbo00, I just emailed you about this. Also, I mentioned another interested org to you a few weeks ago, & they're ready to move ahead as well, so I'd like to talk with you more about that as well.
    I'm also available to help train. Chasbo00 and I were SO together last week at Thurmont.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Ultraplanet, about 2/3rds of the attendees have already shot an IDPA match at Thurmont. I know a couple more who would have also participated in a match had it not been for work conflicts or weather in one case.

Woodstock's offers and solicitations for folks to give IDPA a try, plus your direct assistance, positive comments and solid advice about shooting IDPA, along with several others here on MDS, were key factors resulting in the high match participation rate.

I enjoyed teaching the classes and look forward to doing more next year.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Keystone70, it was great SOing with you. I hope we get the chance to shoot together again soon. And thanks much for your offer to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom