• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Weird situation this morning.

I have a job coming up in Rockville and had a coordination meeting this morning on site, commercial building, not posted. This is the third time I have been on site and have always parked by the loading dock and checked in at the security trailer and come through the dock door into the kitchen.

This morning the trailer is locked, I buzz the kitchen and a nice gentleman comes out to let me in. My contact, the foodservice director is waiting for me in the manager's office in the kitchen. We exchange pleasantries and then he tells me that we will need to go to the front desk and have me check in.

At this point I'm thinking about the possibilities of a metal detector and what am I going to do if there is one since I am at work and carrying.

Sure enough we go upstairs and there is your typical front desk with two security guards and the arch of detection. My mind is racing at this time as I know that I can't go through the detector but I don't want to make an obvious scene.

I give the guard my ID while I am standing in front of the desk and then slip the tape measure that is clipped to my front pants pocket into my jacket and then tell them that I left my tape and my flashlight in my truck and I'll be just a moment. They tell me that I can go through the detector and then go back out the loading dock door and get them. At this point I tell them that I will just be a minute, make a quick joke about being forgetful, turn on my heel and head out the front door to my truck where I quickly took off my Glock and holster and then went back in.

Whole thing took less than five minutes, neither the security guards or my contact seemed to think anything was funky.

At the end of the day all is well but it was definitely a pucker factor moment.

So, right, wrong or otherwise, what say you? Flame on if need be, I've got my big boy pants on tonight.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What am I missing here? You were CCWing legally right or were you in a regulated building? Did you just not want the customer to see that you were CCWing?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What am I missing here? You were CCWing legally right or were you in a regulated building? Did you just not want the customer to see that you were CCWing?

Not a regulated building and yes I was legally carrying. Just didn't know what the reaction of the customer/security guards would have been had I pulled out my firearm along with my keys and change.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    So if I had to armchair quarterback this situation, I would have done exactly the same.

This was not a federal or state building, and the security guards were private not actual police.

Who knows what they would have done.... Do they know the CC laws? Would they even recognize a permit? Would they have called the police and wasted a ton of your time, or perhaps a lot of hassle?

You may have been in your complete right to carry, however it may have been so not worth your time trying to make your point.

Also, they were doing a security check so it is apparent to me they didn't want guns or knives on site.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So if I had to armchair quarterback this situation, I would have done exactly the same.

This was not a federal or state building, and the security guards were private not actual police.

Who knows what they would have done.... Do they know the CC laws? Would they even recognize a permit? Would they have called the police and wasted a ton of your time, or perhaps a lot of hassle?

You may have been in your complete right to carry, however it may have been so not worth your time trying to make your point.

Also, they were doing a security check so it is apparent to me they didn't want guns or knives on site.

This is pretty much what was running through my noggin. If I pull out all of my metallic objects that I am carrying including my firearm, would it be a "Hey, do you have a permit for that? Yes, OK no problem" or would it have been a big scene with possibly MoCo police being called?

The possibility of the customer being an anti was a ways down on my list of priorities at that moment. Possibly a hurdle to overcome but I already have a draw on my contract.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm tempted to say this:
    Just show them your permit and say you are carrying. If it's not okay with them, the only things they can do are ask you to store it your vehicle or ask you to leave. I wouldn't sweat it. If they get stupid, the legal issues are theirs, not yours.

But I wouldn't want security guards of unknown background to know I just put my CCW in my vehicle. Too easy for one of them to make a quick call to a buddy, with you coming out later to find your vehicle vandalized and the gun long gone.

Whatever your reason, I think you made a good call.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    OK did they say go though the detector and then go out and get tools and then byass the detector....?

Really..

OK

Next time ...if there is one..its your ID that you forgot.. that always works.. if questioned ..wallet in the truck...

Then go out and disarm .

Also you can ask up front before the job if the is security in the building.. tell them you have tools and such and want to know if they will need to hand check them so you can leave extra time..

And for f..ks sake did they really say you can go back out and back in without going back though the metal detector?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I would not want to advertise to my customers that I am armed unless it is one of you guys. Your livelihood can be impacted by the unknown reaction of your client and bldg security. You made the right call, hopefully you have a vehicle safe. Ever thought of a false bottom tool box or something of the sort for this situation. I have a hidden compartment in some of my work bags/cases that works well for any situation absent an xray machine.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    A similar thing happened to me while visiting a museum on the Mall in D.C. I had tickets and was in line for going through a metal detector to merely enter the facility when I realized I had my folding knife in my front pocket. Needless to say, I excused myself and then had to walk over eight freaking blocks back to the car to deposit it safely there.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I would not want to advertise to my customers that I am armed unless it is one of you guys. Your livelihood can be impacted by the unknown reaction of your client and bldg security. You made the right call, hopefully you have a vehicle safe. Ever thought of a false bottom tool box or something of the sort for this situation. I have a hidden compartment in some of my work bags/cases that works well for any situation absent an xray machine.

Any recomenadtions... I am concerned only about theft here not evading the law..

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Discretion is always the better part of valor. No need to make a mess where one didn't already exist.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You need a NAA mini revolver stuffed inside a 3 D cell mag light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom