When's best time to apply for MD concealed carry permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    I've completed the training, got the certificate, and have the app ready to go with my check. Any opinions as to when it may be a good time politically to mail it in? I already have CCP for Utah and Florida, but where I need it most (Maryland and Pennsylvania) are not covered under UT or FL.

My reasons for requesting CCP are sort of unique, but still unlikely to issue in the current climate: travel to/from a family rental property in PA which I visit to inspect and maintain (my mother who is 96 owns it and I act as POA), plus I'm a general aviation pilot and want to defend myself and the airplane at isolated airports, often at night, from not just people but also wildlife (wild dogs, bear, etc.).

Thoughts or tips welcome.

Dude, welcome. You need G&S--for example, start a business or start an armored car business or transport valuables for $$$, that type of thing. Read the threads but don't waste your money on an application if you don't meet the criteria.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Justified MDS sarcasm aside...

Imagine if you lived in Ferguson Missouri, Detroit Michigan or New Orleans and the Sherriff held a news conference yesterday stating, “we can’t protect you”?

If you think about it, it can take months to get training, then weeks (sometimes months) waiting for an HQL, then weeks (sometimes months) waiting a Not Disapproved to buy a firearm, then... as much as weeks finding ammo. THEN, you can begin the 90 day to one year process of applying for a Maryland Handgun Permit.

I tell people the time to apply for your permit is 1-2 years before you will need it.

The better question to ask should be how and when should I submit my Maryland Handgun Permit application.

There are many issues you can’t control, such as which Trooper evaluates your application, that Troopers stance on RKBA, who trained the Trooper and the political climate of the MSP, and particularly the MSP Licensing Division.

Here are some things to consider that may improve your chances;

- Learn everything you can about the MSP Handgun Permit application requirements, approval, and appeals process prior to submitting your application.
    - Pay particular attention to the mandatory question, "Reason for Permit?" It is highly suggest you discuss any proposed answer with a capable, experienced, local attorney, who has practiced before the Handgun Permit Review Board.
    - A new governor will take over the executive branch January, 2015. Understandably the new governor’s first priority will be tackling the looming deficit and dealing with the budget. It is not anticipated that a new MSP Superintendent will be appointed until as late as June.
    - Pay particular attention to deadlines and timetables (i.e. fingerprints are said to go stale after either 72 hours or 30 days and training after one or two years).
    - Answer required questions honestly, but don't volunteer more information than is requested.
    - MSP requires that you submit a typed application using the online PDF form.
    - Based on experience MSP often claims they are unable to locate about 20% of the correspondence I have personally sent, although they are improving, I recommend you send all correspondence via FedEx, UPS or USPS, with delivery signature or Certified Return Receipt required.

Good luck!

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    What can change soonish (relatively speaking) is who's deciding whether it's good enough and what "good enough" means.

As it stands, the only real "good enough" reasons accepted by the MSP today are "I'm rich" and "I know your boss and he likes me more than he likes you".

Code:
    Your first statement is possible.

Your second statement is wrong. Many people have a permit to carry that are not rich and don't know their boss. I am one of those people.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co

Your second statement is wrong. Many people have a permit to carry that are not rich and don't know their boss. I am one of those people.

I'm not holding my breath for the former. The latter is just misinformed. If you don't meet the criteria regardless of your wealth or relationship to the MSP, you will be rejected.

Permits are for law abiding citizens. Criminals don't abide by the law, so they are unconcerned if they aren't caught. Liberals think laws are for the little people.

What would you call someone who is a concerned armed citizen?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    This is not a post to be critical of your thread, but submit once you have specifically defined your reason for the permit. The vague nature of your post would not qualify, especially stating you will be traveling out of state. Drop the reason of visiting your mom's property(it is not yours) and get specific about your piloting.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I've completed the training, got the certificate, and have the app ready to go with my check. Any opinions as to when it may be a good time politically to mail it in? I already have CCP for Utah and Florida, but where I need it most (Maryland and Pennsylvania) are not covered under UT or FL.

My reasons for requesting CCP are sort of unique, but still unlikely to issue in the current climate: travel to/from a family rental property in PA which I visit to inspect and maintain (my mother who is 96 owns it and I act as POA), plus I'm a general aviation pilot and want to defend myself and the airplane at isolated airports, often at night, from not just people but also wildlife (wild dogs, bear, etc.).

Thoughts or tips welcome.

Can you fly aerial tours or give flight training? Even part time that would give you business owner G&S. You will need a trade name registration and must obtain any applicable licenses if you don't have them already. You should also have a business bank account. I highly doubt that the PA rental property would meet G&S in MD under the current regime. Of course with Hogan things "may" change to make it a bit easier. We all hope so. Contact me if you have any questions.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    A MD ccw permit? You'll have better luck finding bumble bee feathers and owls teeth.

Having had my MD ccw....all MD cares about is your money and not your safety.

Good luck. Let us know how west Virginia and Virginia are to live in.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013

Unrestricted? Or is it a permit that allows limited carry under limited circumstances on limited days at limited times in limited places? If it's unrestricted, then my hope is that you got it without having any terrible happen to you. If it's one of the usual (and still incredibly difficult to get) ones, then to me it's like asking for a puppy and receiving a dirty stuffed animal.

Code:

FX4

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntingtown
    If one applies as a business owner, is he/she limitted to carrying only when going to and from the bank to make deposits?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Justified MDS sarcasm aside...

Imagine if you lived in Ferguson Missouri, Detroit Michigan or New Orleans and the Sherriff held a news conference yesterday stating, “we can’t protect you”?

If you think about it, it can take months to get training, then weeks (sometimes months) waiting for an HQL, then weeks (sometimes months) waiting a Not Disapproved to buy a firearm, then... as much as weeks finding ammo. THEN, you can begin the 90 day to one year process of applying for a Maryland Handgun Permit.

I tell people the time to apply for your permit is 1-2 years before you will need it.

The better question to ask should be how and when should I submit my Maryland Handgun Permit application.

There are many issues you can’t control, such as which Trooper evaluates your application, that Troopers stance on RKBA, who trained the Trooper and the political climate of the MSP, and particularly the MSP Licensing Division.

Here are some things to consider that may improve your chances;

- Learn everything you can about the MSP Handgun Permit application requirements, approval, and appeals process prior to submitting your application.
    - Pay particular attention to the mandatory question, "Reason for Permit?" It is highly suggest you discuss any proposed answer with a capable, experienced, local attorney, who has practiced before the Handgun Permit Review Board.
    - A new governor will take over the executive branch January, 2015. Understandably the new governor’s first priority will be tackling the looming deficit and dealing with the budget. It is not anticipated that a new MSP Superintendent will be appointed until as late as June.
    - Pay particular attention to deadlines and timetables (i.e. fingerprints are said to go stale after either 72 hours or 30 days and training after one or two years).
    - Answer required questions honestly, but don't volunteer more information than is requested.
    - MSP requires that you submit a typed application using the online PDF form.
    - Based on experience MSP often claims they are unable to locate about 20% of the correspondence I have personally sent, although they are improving, I recommend you send all correspondence via FedEx, UPS or USPS, with delivery signature or Certified Return Receipt required.

Good luck!

:thumbsup: exactly!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Then what's your 'excuse'? Inquiring minds want to know.....

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    The standard restriction wording is "From home to xyz business and while engaging in financial transactions for the same".

Which isn't even half a permit. Better than nothing, but it may as well be small glass of water for a man lost and stranded in the desert.

Code:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom