When's best time to apply for MD concealed carry permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    I've completed the training, got the certificate, and have the app ready to go with my check. Any opinions as to when it may be a good time politically to mail it in? I already have CCP for Utah and Florida, but where I need it most (Maryland and Pennsylvania) are not covered under UT or FL.

My reasons for requesting CCP are sort of unique, but still unlikely to issue in the current climate: travel to/from a family rental property in PA which I visit to inspect and maintain (my mother who is 96 owns it and I act as POA), plus I'm a general aviation pilot and want to defend myself and the airplane at isolated airports, often at night, from not just people but also wildlife (wild dogs, bear, etc.).

Thoughts or tips welcome.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Your reasons probably won't pass the G&S reasoning of the MD State Police but if you can afford to loose the fees go ahead and try. Let us know how it works out for you.

As far as timing there is a very small hope that things might relax slightly after Hogan takes office.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    First post...

I'd say right before Christmas or right before Easter depending upon whether you want Santa or the Easter Bunny to bring it.

Irons

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    The pilot thing won't work, I tried it, I did get for my business but they wouldn't add the flying thing, thankfully I have a way around it with one of my restrictions

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    About a week after a reasonable, intelligent MSP Superintendent gets appointed by Governor Hogan. Otherwise, wait for the courts to fix our illegal laws.

Code:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Mail it today. Whats the difference? Your unique reason is going to be the same today as it is in a month or 2 or 3......All you can do is tell your story, mail it in, and they will decide if it's good enough.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    Mail it today. Whats the difference? Your unique reason is going to be the same today as it is in a month or 2 or 3......All you can do is tell your story, mail it in, and they will decide if it's good enough.

What can change soonish (relatively speaking) is who's deciding whether it's good enough and what "good enough" means.

As it stands, the only real "good enough" reasons accepted by the MSP today are "I'm rich" and "I know your boss and he likes me more than he likes you".

Code:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The best time to send it in? After 1/20/15 or after MD gets slapped around like a little b!tch by the SCOTUS, for FSA2013 and also how G&S is unconstitutional.

Easiest solution os to move to America and get one from a Shall Issue state, that you hold residency in, and wait on National Right to Carry Reciprocity.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unless you are repeatedly carrying cash from your rental property and can provide deposit slips, not gonna happen.

MD doesn't care about defending your aircraft. Sorry

but hey, give it a try.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Unless they expand the definition of G&S to include self defense you won't get a permit.

You need to be a business owner in this state to qualify for a regular joe permit.

I have a permit and fly planes. No way I would have the permit without being a business owner.

I also have a PA permit which has the reason to carry as 'self defense'.

Hopefully soon Hogan will make 'self defense' a G&S reason. Until then stay away from bad guys intent on doing you harm.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom