Ben Carson Clarifies His Stance on 2nd Amendment, Supports Owning Any Type of Firearm

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    He should understand the whole meaning of the 2A. If he makes excuses like depending on the situation and location on who can have it? It is not the whole essence and true meaning of our rights... I think he has to play the game and I think the Illuminaty will dictates it...:D:D:D

I believe Carson's original response was knee jerk as he was caught off guard. He is untrained in this type rhetoric, and wasn't even contemplating running for office. We all have our core beliefs, and those beliefs vary. Most of us would not expect to impose all out cockeyed beliefs on the public with a just pen and a phone. (O-pen and O-phone)

Carson will need education on the COTUS, or a good right-hand man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    As far as Carson....I believe he is very uneducated regarding firearms, and once he studies the 2nd amendment from an intellectal standpoint, he will be staunchly on our side. (If he isn't already.)

That has been my thought for a while now.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Oh, he's on our side...
    Carson said he would seek to allow people to possess any kind of weapon they can legally buy, including “automatic weapons and semi-automatic weapons.”
    So, here in Maryland we can possess any kind of weapon we can legally buy.

But hold on a minute, I never got an HQL, so is he saying that he won't seek to allow me to keep the gun I legally bought but can't buy now?

No, I don't actually think he is saying that he thinks I should turn in my handguns. I do think that he is saying what he thinks will get him out of trouble with gun owners.

To say people can have what it's legal for them to have, is basically saying nothing.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Having known colleagues who have worked intimately close with Carson for decades, when they tell me he is a most honorable man, I believe it. People clarify their statements all the time, and I've seen it on this forum frequently.

Now that he's made a definitive statement regarding his position I think he'd be hard-pressed to clarify it further. As I stated in a previous thread, when the political climate starts to get real, the views of many potential candidates will be clarified to get in tune with voters, after all, that's what representation is all about. Those with a history of honesty and integrity should benefit from that history. Those that have proven not to have integrity should be held accountable.

People also change their minds. I have had a couple of people have an "ummmmmm" moment when they find out that their well dressed, well spoken, well educated attorney is an avid gun owner, shooter, and hunter. They are incredulous, but it really makes them think.

Even President Obama and Mrs. Obama had an "ummmmmmmm" moment when they were driving through a midwest state and all they saw was cornfield after cornfield. Mrs. Obama turned to the President and said, "I can see why people out here would want a gun because help is a long, long way off." or at least something to that effect.

Heck, every once in a decade I change my mind about something.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Carson is just a babe in the woods. As much as people are unhappy with Congress, we keep reelecting the incumbents. Hospital politics are jv compared to national politics.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Carson is just a babe in the woods. As much as people are unhappy with Congress, we keep reelecting the incumbents. Hospital politics are jv compared to national politics.

You're right. All those "experienced" guys have done such a bang up job.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    This ...

God forbid someone who has never really paid attention to a particular topic change their mind once they familiarize themselves with the issues.....

:thumbsup:

I agree that Carson has taken time to educate himself since his initial meanderings regarding 2A. As he noted, practicing in a Batimore hospital gave him an up-close-and-personal view of the carnage wrought by urban gun violence, but as he broadened his views and heard reasoned explanation of why 2A 'shall not be infringed', he has come full circle. You can call it a flip-flop if you like, but at least he's flipped in the right direction.

Let's hope that he doesn't turn out to be a flop later ... Time will tell.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    People also change their minds. I have had a couple of people have an "ummmmmm" moment when they find out that their well dressed, well spoken, well educated attorney is an avid gun owner, shooter, and hunter. They are incredulous, but it really makes them think.

Even President Obama and Mrs. Obama had an "ummmmmmmm" moment when they were driving through a midwest state and all they saw was cornfield after cornfield. Mrs. Obama turned to the President and said, "I can see why people out here would want a gun because help is a long, long way off." or at least something to that effect.

Heck, every once in a decade I change my mind about something.

I believe that got translated to THIS ... while speaking at a fundraiser in Western PA.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Ben Carson's life is amazing. He has a fascinating intelligence and surely can process information.

When all he was exposed to was gunshot wounds, politicians making grabber arguments, crime effects on children, etc. his earlier conclusion was understandable. Upon hearing his original position, it was not surprising, but clear he had not thought much about what the 2nd amendment was really about, rather was seriously misinformed on the subject.

The most impressive thing about Ben Carson is his ability to evolve (in the true sense of the word). Given his natural propensity for conservatism, which seems to guide his thought process, once he applies his brainpower and life experience to a topic, he ultimately arrives at sensible positions.

He may not be a great politician, but who cares. We have plenty of those and look where that's gotten us.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Carson is is a smart guy. But I am always skeptical of last minute conversions right before someone runs for office.

My real problem with Carson though is that I just don't see him as "Presidential" because he's never run for office. I see him as a really smart technocrat. How will he handle himself in a knife fight election? No one knows.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Dan Bongino comes to mind.

Dan is not a big gun guy. When he was in LE, he never really had to deal with it. He used firearms as part of his job and that was it.

When he first ran for office, he had to examine the issue in depth and his position became staunchly PRO-2A. IIRC, there were more than a few skeptics here in those days; now his name is suggested as a potential MSP superintendent by many members here.
    I heard Dan on the radio not too long ago and he was talking about conceal carry and guns. He didn't seem to know much about it. Not anti but I wouldn't call him pro either.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    He was also 100% against shooting the guy that jumped the White House fence and got inside.

And he got extremely angry towards the people who even suggested that it would have been the right course of action.

Secret Service doesn't equal Pro-Gun.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Talk is cheap, what actions has he taken with respect to 2a? None; he's not a career politician so some things will be a leap of faith.

I'm not sold on Ben Carson yet one way or another. My only hope is that he gets properly vetted before I need to cast my vote. If the election was today, Rand Paul still gets my vote. For now...

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    As I stated previously, Dan Bongino is not a big firearms enthusiast and may not be well versed in the minutiae of firearms law. But I've had enough personal conversations with Dan that I can emphatically state, without any hesitation, that he is indeed 100% PRO-2A.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    He was also 100% against shooting the guy that jumped the White House fence and got inside.

And he got extremely angry towards the people who even suggested that it would have been the right course of action.

Secret Service doesn't equal Pro-Gun.

Huh.. you mean pro gun = blood thirsty?

If SS can stop one guy without lighting him up how the hell will they deal with a real attack.

Recall that the protectee was not even there.. and dead men give poor intel on debriefing.

I don't think not shooting a non lethal threat is a bad call.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    It is entirely possible to be a little anti-gun and support the 2A.

For example, I personally don't think it would be a great thing if hood rat could walk into a store, plop down some cash, and buy an M16(full auto). I do believe that the 2A of the COTUS clearly states that govt cannot make that illegal or regulate it in any way.

Rob

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It is entirely possible to be a little anti-gun and support the 2A.

For example, I personally don't think it would be a great thing if hood rat could walk into a store, plop down some cash, and buy an M16(full auto). I do believe that the 2A of the COTUS clearly states that govt cannot make that illegal or regulate it in any way.

Rob

Right its much better if we let them get them from their Mexican drug connection..
    Less paper work ..and cheaper than we could buy it.

Strawman arguments are poor basis for policy. They will lead to bad decisions.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    God forbid someone who has never really paid attention to a particular topic change their mind once they familiarize themselves with the issues.....

Thats what I was thinking. Carson has a hell of a shot to win. Who else can the GOP put up? I liked Romney but he was the antichrist to the fence sitters and possible swayed dems. A "rich privileged white man". Regardless of the fact that he MADE his own money they saw him as the devil. The last election showed that blacks voted by color. This could be a good chance to take this country back. Hate to make it about race but nowadays alot of it IS. Carson is a man I look up to alot and I sure hope he wins. His race might be the ace in the hole.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Carson is is a smart guy. But I am always skeptical of last minute conversions right before someone runs for office.

My real problem with Carson though is that I just don't see him as "Presidential" because he's never run for office. I see him as a really smart technocrat. How will he handle himself in a knife fight election? No one knows.

I pretty much agree with this. While I'm willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, electing someone to the highest office in the land who has zero experience in politics is not going to happen, short of a miracle. It's probably a bad idea to even try; if you've never played in that game before, you will be played, by experts. It's not just the election process, either. Once you're in the office, it's still not any easier.

Apart from all that, it seems Carson is Black. Given our recent experience with an ethnic president, I can't help but feel that Carson would experience a backlash from voters who have been more than disappointed, and who would reflexively reject his candidacy on that ground alone. Not nice, not fair, but undoubtledly enough to doom his prospects, at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom