• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Saw MSi on the agenda. The AA delegation is roughly 50/50 pro-2A.

We're working on the other 50%.
    Steve Schuh, as a delegate, sponsored CCW legislation. He is pro 2a pro carry.

Now....if we could make some headway with the delegates in PG, Baltimore and Maybe Charles Counties....

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Seth Howard, incoming delegate for 30b is also pro 2A.

I was hoping to be there with Dan representing MSI, but I'll be stuck in West Virginia for work.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Del Howard and Delegate Saab took a bit of interest in my 5 minutes.

I thought went well tonight.

Mr H

Banana'd
    We're going there again??

I don't intend this to be directed at any one person, because I hear it in many forms from many people... some mild, some vitriolic. But, based on my personal experience.....

MSI, as an organization, operates as an educational, outreach, and legislatively-focused group.

They are always open to new membership coming in and contributing effort and ideas for change and development of new initiatives, within the chosen framework.

If there are things that can be done for electoral awareness and activism that doesn't directly favor a party or candidate, I know ears are open. But I also know that people just jawing on the internet about things folks want done can be frustrating.

MSI is constantly growing, changing, and looking for ways to make the state better for firearms owners. People are welcomed to become part of the solution.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Help to understand something then. They won't do something that will help a particular party or candidate, but they then approach the elected officials for help. Wouldn't it make sense to help get officials elected that will further their cause?

The NRA is made up of it's members as well. It encourages those members to participate and take action.

We lost ground in AA county. An opportunity was there to maintain and grow our strength. I realize it's over and done with, however I have learned much about "our" community. ATNA!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    It's a shame MSI wasn't more active prior to the election...

1. are you a member?

2. if no....we can stop there.

if yes, contact them. Tell them what you think they should do, then volunteer to do it. NRA is a billion dollar organization with a huge paid staff.

MSI is all volunteer and only capable of doing what you as a member are willing to do.

and don't forget....2a tuesday (Maryland's lobby day for gun rights) is fast approaching. Hope to see you in Annapolis.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Help to understand something then. They won't do something that will help a particular party or candidate, but they then approach the elected officials for help. Wouldn't it make sense to help get officials elected that will further their cause?

The NRA is made up of it's members as well. It encourages those members to participate and take action.

We lost ground in AA county. An opportunity was there to maintain and grow our strength. I realize it's over and done with, however I have learned much about "our" community. ATNA!

A few things things;

1. MSI is not a political organization, it is a Not for profit organization, that according to the IRS rules, MAY NOT perform any POLITICAL actions (i.e. directly endorse candidates, run adds for/against candidates, etc.), the same as the NRA.

2. NRA-ILA is the political arm of the NRA and a completely different animal from the non profit part of their organization. As such, the NRA-ILA can and does endorse candidates, run political ads, etc.

3. MSI did not approach anyone for help, MSI made it known what it would like to see from the legislature with regards to firearms laws that affect not only its members, but every firearms owner in the state of Maryland. If that is asking for help, then MSI has been in Annapolis testifying in front of every committee hearing asking for help for the last 6+ years.

So, what would you have like to see MSI do specifically, that the organization could have done legally?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    So, what would you have like to see MSI do specifically, that the organization could have done legally?

Emphasis added is mine.

It appears that there is a very large misunderstanding in what MSI can and can't do. Thank you for putting this out very clearly. I think that maybe we could have been a little more clear on the fact that we can't do some things we would like to do.

I for one would like to take this moment to back up with DBlas has stated. MSI is filed with the IRS as a 501c4 organization. It is a type of non profit and that prohibits us from directly endorsing/supporting a candidate. Once people become fully aware of this very important fact, maybe they will understand why we have not been more active on the political front.

Our main focus is in front of the legislature, and yes, we will work with those in office that support our beliefs. While not 100% confidant, I firmly believe that Del. Howard will be one of those that we will lean on quite a bit this upcoming session. While MSI did not publicly support him, I personally did. I worked with his campaign and bounced from polling location to polling location for him on election day. Many of those in MSI have done the same but we have to keep that separate from MSI.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you for clearing that up. As you can see help at the polling place was very important. It was lacking in other parts of the county.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom