• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    The requirements to be able to defend yourself? Must be nice to be so special that you meet the requirements to be "allowed" to defend yourselves. Bet you feel special, too.
    Why don't you whine to MSP and stop taking out your frustrations on people that have been able to obtain a permit. It is not anyone heres fault that you cannot get a permit. Your repeated comments of how people "must feel special" just make you sound like an immature little kid. I don't feel special, I just filled out the application and sent in the required documents and they sent me a permit. You have the same oppurtunity. MSP decides who is special and who is not. If they reject you it's not our fault.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Why don't you whine to MSP and stop taking out your frustrations on people that have been able to obtain a permit. It is not anyone heres fault that you cannot get a permit. Your repeated comments of how people "must feel special" just make you sound like an immature little kid. I don't feel special, I just filled out the application and sent in the required documents and they sent me a permit. You have the same oppurtunity. MSP decides who is special and who is not. If they reject you it's not our fault.

:thumbsup:

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    They actually changed that tidbit of information regarding HQL's and the military. It was ONLY retirees at first. But they changed it, to all military service members right before it took effect. I guess they realized that if you can serve your country Honorably, and come home, you shouldn't be subjected to having to qualify over and over again. Especially after you've already put your life on the line, by signing a "Blank Check" for everything up to and including your life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Why all the :sarcasm: ? Surely you don't think MD is better off if people with G&S don't get permits in protest of our BS gun laws? NONE of us agree with G&S, that is a given. That being said I harbor no ill will toward anyone who can get a permit under the extremely restrictive conditions in this state. The more people carrying lawfully the safer the streets are for all of us. I am not for adding more special classes of folks though. Instead, I will gladly assist anyone who wants to start a business apply for a permit. Maybe MD can actually find a way to encourage entrepreneurship among this great MD 2A crowd.

Good post. I'm thinking about requesting one and that I might meet their restrictive requirements. I have a small business where I'm transporting about $4,000 of inventory to different stores and receive both cash and checks. I will also be spending a lot of time at a range both to shoot and as a part time RSO. Question on this item.

"4) You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police."

I had not heard about registering with the state police as an instructor (I'm certified in Home Firearm Safety and Basic Pistol right now). What is the deal about this, pros/cons? I don't remember anything mentioned about it in my courses. Thanks in advance for any answers.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I have a small business

As long as you have steady income from the business for at least 6 months you will be approved under the G&S for 'making deposits.'

Then you be able to carry as long as your 'actively involved in financial transactions as owner'

In other words you'll be covered all day every day as long as you're the business owner.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    As long as you have steady income from the business for at least 6 months you will be approved under the G&S for 'making deposits.'

Then you be able to carry as long as your 'actively involved in financial transactions as owner'

In other words you'll be covered all day every day as long as you're the business owner.

Or authorized employee. You don't need to be the owner to obtain a W&CP.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I did my training through Terry Robinson last year. His user name here is 3rdrcn. May drop him a line and see what he has to offer.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Yep, that's the same course I took with Terry and Mike last year. Great guys, very thorough course. Having a lawyer there to bounce questions off of and clarify the laws was priceless.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Business license is cheap.
    Bank account is free.
    Take a few hunred bucks and move it back and forth for a few months.

BAM! You're now a business owner. Take the required training and carry on.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Agreed, but unless the owner of the business is willing to sign off on you always being available your carry permit will be highly restricted and limited.

Most are "highly restricted and limited". No restrictions for the average citizen are rare.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Gonna chime in here real quick.

daggo66, fortunately the MSP web site is not COMAR and COMAR says that the training is good for two years, not one as the MSP web site claims. Please keep in mind that MSP does not write the law and they must follow what COMAR says not what their web site says.

Straightshooter I believe contacted them and had this corrected or at least in the section where he saw it, seems there are other areas that it has not been corrected.

Just as a question for the sake of debate, it is my understanding that even those that are exempt from the training are not exempt from the qualification course of fire. Where would one find clarification of this as I see it no where in any of my materials.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    The qualifications requirement is part of the "training"requirement. I fyou are exempt from the training, you are exempt from the live fire qualifications also. Let's turn your question around and ask where you find it written that the live fire is still needed by those exempt from training?

.05 Training Requirement.

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person applying to obtain or renew a handgun permit shall complete a Handgun Permit Training Course and submit a Handgun Permit Training Certificate issued by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. The submission of the Handgun Permit Training Certificate shall constitute proof that the applicant satisfactorily completed a Handgun Permit Training Course.

B. An applicant does not need to complete a Handgun Permit Training Course if the applicant:

(1) Is a law enforcement officer or has retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any local law enforcement agency in the State;

(2) Is an active member, retired member, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard;

(3) Is a Qualified Handgun Instructor in accordance with COMAR 29.03.01.37; or

(4) Has satisfactorily completed a firearms training course approved by the Secretary as an exemption from the Handgun Permit Training Course.

C. A Handgun Permit Training Course shall consist of a minimum of 16 hours of instruction by a Qualified Handgun Instructor for initial applicants or eight hours of instruction by a Qualified Handgun Instructor for renewal applicants, and shall include the following minimum curricula.

(1) State Firearm Law. Overview of the State firearm laws, including discussion of what constitutes a regulated firearm, how to properly purchase or transfer a firearm, where allowed to carry or transport a firearm, when necessary to possess a carry permit, and who is prohibited from possessing firearms.

(2) Home Firearm Safety. Overview of handgun and firearm safety in the home, including discussion of access to minors, locking and storing of firearms, and use of safety devices, such as secure lock boxes.

(3) Handgun Mechanisms and Operation. Overview of the proper operation and safe handling of a handgun, including cleaning and maintenance, the loading and unloading of ammunition, and the differences between revolvers and semi-automatic handguns, as well as training in nomenclature, sight alignment, position shooting, dry-firing, and range practice.

(4) Proficiency and Use Demonstration. Overview of handgun and firearm safety on the range, off the range, and while transporting or on duty. Orientation that demonstrates the applicant’s proficiency in the operation and use of a firearm, including a shooting component in which the applicant fires live ammunition and obtains a qualifying score of 70 percent as prescribed by the Secretary. Instruction on safety shall be integrated into every phase of the training.

(a) Except as provided in §C(4)(b) of this regulation, the shooting component shall be at least 25 rounds and an applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards from the target during qualifications.

(b) For designated security personnel, the shooting component shall be conducted on a practical police course as approved by the Secretary. The shooting component shall be at least 50 rounds and an applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 25 yards during qualifications.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    If you are exempt then you are exempt from both classroom and live fire requirement. Just write exempt on application and attach a copy of your DD214. I know two people who did this for their renewals and got their licenses no problem.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

I take issue with this advice.

Those who have attended the recent HPRB meetings, and follow the increasing arrest numbers of those carrying outside of their restrictions would probably agree.

Hopefully, this pattern will change in the next several months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom