• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The following is an extract fm MSP's web site regarding Wear and Carry Permit training requirements:

Is Exemption #3 the current policy for regular Joes?

Who needs It

Every original application and renewal application submitted after October 1, 2013, unless exempt. If you are any one of the below you are exempted.

1) You are an active law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    2) You are a retired law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.
    3) You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.
    4) You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police.
    5) You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a qualified handgun instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Don, if you have a DD214 or a retired MIL card, you are good to go.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    And the rest of us need 16 hours of training. By whom/what classes accepted? Does it have to be some MSP official class, or can you take 2 NRA 8 hour classes?

I personally find it an issue for people with lower incomes like myself. I am self trained and anyone who has ever been with me at a range can tell you I am safe and know what I am doing...why not just give me a written exam and test me on a police range?

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    next question is after the 16 hour training class, how long is the certificate good for?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    And the rest of us need 16 hours of training. By whom/what classes accepted? Does it have to be some MSP official class, or can you take 2 NRA 8 hour classes?

I personally find it an issue for people with lower incomes like myself. I am self trained and anyone who has ever been with me at a range can tell you I am safe and know what I am doing...why not just give me a written exam and test me on a police range?

Come on now. Everyone knows it was never about that. The whole point is to discourage and make it nearly impossible. Total cost for me was over $400. I'm approaching my 90th day of the supposedly 90 day wait.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

It must be a course offered from an MSP Qualified Handgun Instructor. The 16 hour course basically covers all the material in the normal NRA Basic Handgun class plus topics from the PPITH/PPOTH class as well as an overview of MD laws covering CCW issues.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Is the wear and carry permit the CCW permit? And I don't fall into one of the 5 category's for wear and carry permit. I guess the average Maryland resident can't get a wear and carry permit?

Sorry to jump into your thread like this but it seems you'll may be helpful to my questions.

Thanks.

Got my HQL April 2014:)

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Is the wear and carry permit the CCW permit? And I don't fall into one of the 5 category's for wear and carry permit. I guess the average Maryland resident can't get a wear and carry permit?

Sorry to jump into your thread like this but it seems you'll may be helpful to my questions.

Thanks.

Got my HQL April 2014:)

Wear & Carry is ccw. The 5 categories are those exempted from training class for ccw. And you're correct, the average citizen cannot get a permit in MD.

Last edited:

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Come on now. Everyone knows it was never about that. The whole point is to discourage and make it nearly impossible. Total cost for me was over $400. I'm approaching my 90th day of the supposedly 90 day wait.

FYI. Unfortunately it's 90 business days, not 90 days. See you have a little longer to go.

I got mine exactly 90 business days from the application. And that was a renewal.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Don, if you have a DD214 or a retired MIL card, you are good to go.

That's how I interpreted it as well. My question was posed because one of the qualified instructors I know sent me a note saying:

"The issue becomes the actual form that the Instructor must use from the state requires the Instructor to Identify the course of training in association with the actual Range Qualification. There is nothing on it allowing for previous training ie Retired Military etc."

Last edited:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The Form In Question

Per above, subject form has no place for the Instructor to indicate that the applicant is exempt from training.

So, the question remains how do instructors handle this situation?

Attachments

• Qualification Sheet Oct 1, 2013.doc.pdf
      74.5 KB · Views: 118

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    That's what I thought also. But I just checked the website and it specifically says now within one year. They must've changed it.
    I'll have to look at the MSP site again. They had it at 1 year while COMAR says 2 years. I was successful at getting the MSP site changed so if it now says 1 year, they've been playing around again.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    That's how I interpreted it as well. My question was posed because one of the qualified instructors I know sent me a note saying:

"The issue becomes the actual form that the Instructor must use from the state requires the Instructor to Identify the course of training in association with the actual Range Qualification. There is nothing on it allowing for previous training ie Retired Military etc."
    If you are exempt, then you are also exempt from the range qualification so there is no reason for an instructor to be involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom