• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Has anyone considered the force of the blast? Even from birdshot, how many intruders can withstand the force of being hit , that is stay on their feet, in a close, in-home environment? The goal is to stop the threat, not necessarily kill.

Once the intruder is down, there's the option to rack another round and offer it to them.

The impact of the shot is no harder than the recoil when you fired it. Less, even, due to loss of kinetic energy to the air in between you.

You don't knock people down with the blast of a shotgun... they fall down as a result of their injuries. If you don't actually injure them because you wanted to sting them first and give them an opportunity to ponder their life-decisions, they are not stopped and are still an immediate threat.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    This been beaten to death.

Bird shot for home defense is a bad idea. It was designed for ... wait for it ... birds.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    00 shells are in my home defense shotty. I also consider where I will be shooting. It is fairly unlikely that someone will make it into my home, up a flight of stairs and between my kids and I that I will have to worry about over penetration. I can appreciate the time and effort to show these tests, but pork ribs right on top of a pork shoulder and 4 layers of denim is hardly a appropriate comparison to a perp. Who wears 4 layers of denim? Maybe 2 if they are wearing a denim jacket. Also, this flies right out the window if the perp is a junkie, weighting 90-120 lbs with no muscle mass.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    If you shoot a home intruder with the intent to injure them, you're doing it wrong. If someone is in my home and advances to threaten the lives of either myself or my family despite my verbal warning, I shoot to kill.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you shoot a home intruder with the intent to injure them, you're doing it wrong. If someone is in my home and advances to threaten the lives of either myself or my family despite my verbal warning, I shoot to kill neutralize the threat.
    FIFY.

There are a lot of fatal shots that won't drop an attacker. Most shots that stop people in their tracks will be kill shots. Not all.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    FIFY.

There are a lot of fatal shots that won't drop an attacker. Most shots that stop people in their tracks will be kill shots. Not all.

not only a doc . possibly a lawyer too.. lol

ppl need to stop using kill ..
    stopping or neutralize .. better chance of you not being charge with the crime.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    00 shells are in my home defense shotty. I also consider where I will be shooting. It is fairly unlikely that someone will make it into my home, up a flight of stairs and between my kids and I that I will have to worry about over penetration. I can appreciate the time and effort to show these tests, but pork ribs right on top of a pork shoulder and 4 layers of denim is hardly a appropriate comparison to a perp. Who wears 4 layers of denim? Maybe 2 if they are wearing a denim jacket. Also, this flies right out the window if the perp is a junkie, weighting 90-120 lbs with no muscle mass.

We determined in a prior thread ballistic tests are racist against Canadians living out of a Winnebago.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Depends on your adversary.

Most people, when hit with a load of birdshot out of a shotgun, will get freaked out enough by the pain or by the fact that they've "been shot" that they will discontinue whatever nefarious deed they are doing and either get out or fall to the floor in pain.

There are those, including those under the influence, those DETERMINED to do you or your family bodily harm, or those who are tough enough or crazy enough to keep coming once they've taken a shot.

The question is, at 3 in the morning, in the dark, are you going to be able to determine which one your are facing??

If you MUST use birdshot in an HD situation, I'd recommend at least having some 00BK in the tube right behind it. And you MAY feel like using birdshot makes you less liable when you shoot someone...good luck with that. The State's Attorney could still make an argument that you used "lethal force" if (s)he wants to railroad you.

YMMV, IANAL.
    That is what I used to do. 1st round was #6 bird shot, followed by 3 rounds of 3" magnum #4 buckshot (41 pellets) and then 2 rounds of slugs. These days I just use a tube of Win PDX12. That gets the buckshot and the slug out at the same time. Maybe I will put a round of bird shot first but living on a farm away from others it might just be a waste of ammo. I don't really expect trouble like in urban areas. But if I do it I will have plenty of warning from the animals so an AR works better.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I've spent way to much time watching the videos on youtube, and everyone of them says no. The conclusion that is most common is #1 buck is the best, mainly because it is the smallest shot size that provides sufficient stopping power and gives you the highest number of pellets. 0 Buck is a close second. 00 buck is a good compromise because it is so available.

this isn't any of my own testing, just based on videos shot into ballistic gel and other know more than me folks with shotguns.

ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD
    LOL....if they're breaking in to steal your money...give it to them.

35-4.jpg

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When my grandmother was killed, only one pellet from the shot proved fatal. The pellet entered an artery.

Some people die falling off sidewalks. Sometimes it is incredible what a body can withstand. Sometimes it is mindblowing how little it takes to kill you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom