• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Update from Del. Tony McConkey. Norton was right, I appreciate the Post Norton because i sent a reply that asked if there had been a misunderstanding.

I strongly oppose this legislation...............we received so many emails, you are correct, my train of thought was elsewhere! Sorry for the confusion!

Del. Tony McConkey

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Morning All, I just wanted to let everyone know I received a letter from my delegate Donald B. Elliott to my e-mail of last week. If I can figure out how to work my wife's scanner, I will scan and post here. I will quote a couple of his comments below:

"For much of my time in the Maryland House of Delegates, I have seen various pieces of legislation introduced with the sole objective of infringing on and individual's 2nd Amendment Right To Bear Arms in homes and on personal property. Unfortunately, many of these measures have passed through the General Assembly and have impacted what I believe to be an overreaching arm of the state into people's lives..."

"I do not support further restrictions on Marylander's 2nd Amendment rights."

"I do not support HB 820. The arguments in favor of it fall short of addressing the critical objective we as legislators must always follow, namely following the Constitution of the United States and preserving the rights enumerated therein."

"I believe in programs like Project Exile, which sentences felons convicted of illegally possessing firearms to a minimum of 5 years imprisonment are far more efective in targeting the true perpetrators of gun violence, and not the law-abiding citizen who wants to hunt or protect his home."

It is a full page letter and I will see if I can scan later to post the entire thing on here. All in all, it was a very positve response.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    grb, that's great. I do wish he would have included protecting ones person as well, where he mentions hunting and protecting his home. Two out of three ain't bad.

Gosh I think national recipiocity makes a lot of sense, I hope John Snyder here is right:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQhATXi_-o&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

You'll like this as well :-)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjvilXWUKc&feature=fvw[/youtube]

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    grb, that's great. I do wish he would have included protecting ones person as well, where he mentions hunting and protecting his home. Two out of three ain't bad.

Gosh I think national recipiocity makes a lot of sense, I hope John Snyder here is right:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQhATXi_-o&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

You'll like this as well :-)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjvilXWUKc&feature=fvw[/youtube]

Use yt instead of youtube in your tags, and only put the bolded text above between them. :thumbsup:

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md

Probably more than we could have hoped for. Below is the full letter.

DelegateElliottLetternameblackedout.jpg

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    HB 820 Update

February 15, 2010

Re: H.B. 820 – Firearm Safety Act of 2010

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to inform you that the hearing date for H.B. 820 has been rescheduled for March 11th at 1pm in the Judiciary Committee.

Thank you for your concern and support to prevent this legislation. I will continue to keep you updated on any changes to this bill. For further questions or concerns please contact my office at JB.Jennings@house.state.md.us or call 410-841-3698. Also you can check the status of the bill, and check hearing updates with this link http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb0820.htm

Best Regards,

Delegate J.B. Jennings
    Member, House of Delegates

I got this email today.

February 15, 2010

Re: H.B. 820 – Firearm Safety Act of 2010

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to inform you that the hearing date for H.B. 820 has been rescheduled for March 11th at 1pm in the Judiciary Committee.

Thank you for your concern and support to prevent this legislation. I will continue to keep you updated on any changes to this bill. For further questions or concerns please contact my office at JB.Jennings@house.state.md.us or call 410-841-3698. Also you can check the status of the bill, and check hearing updates with this link http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb0820.htm

Best Regards,

Delegate J.B. Jennings

Member, House of Delegates

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Has there been any mention made of the hearings on what I would call the two worst bills, the AWB and the Scarlet G, being scheduled for the same date and time in different chambers so a pro-gun person can't attend both?

The more I think about it, the more I think this Scarlet G bill is meant as a diversion for the AWB. Which is not to say it isn't dangerous, of course it is. But we can't take our eyes off the other snake in the grass either. This is gonna be a lot of work this year.....

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Has there been any mention made of the hearings on what I would call the two worst bills, the AWB and the Scarlet G, being scheduled for the same date and time in different chambers?

The more I think about it, the more I think this Scarlet G bill is meant as a diversion for the AWB. Which is not to say it isn't dangerous, of course it is. But we can't take our eyes off the other snake in the grass either. This gonna be a lot of work this year.....

Update will be out tonight. It's being proofed as we speak.

I think both of those bills are feint for some of the other bills that are not as high profile.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    I left a message with Delegate Turner's office today, and the lady said I'd get a reply. She also said that they'd been getting a lot of calls and emails about these two bills, so hopefully this will get nipped in the bud.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Update will be out tonight. It's being proofed as we speak.

I think both of those bills are feint for some of the other bills that are not as high profile.

I think I see where you're coming from - the two bills are pretty blatant, and the people who wrote them had to know what kind of reaction they would incite in people who care about guns, and that the Scarlet Letter one probably has little chance of passing (God willing). Not that I think they wouldn't take 'em if they could get 'em, but the questions I now have are:

What bills are they trying to slip under the radar?

How does this help - is it to distract the public from another bill, or could it be to occupy the time and attention of Delegates, instead?

Could it be intended to fail, so that it can be rewritten in a marginally more palatable fashion, with the expectation that resistance to the bill will wear down as people lose the energy to fight it?

I'm kind of new to this, so if these are stupid questions let me know.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If one reads the language of the FOID bills particularly, there is language in there that is nearly identical to the two cross-filed bills dealing with the dealr record keeping.

I also think that the two cross-filed ammunition bills are an excuse to codify the ammo logs.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    If one reads the language of the FOID bills particularly, there is language in there that is nearly identical to the two cross-filed bills dealing with the dealr record keeping.

I also think that the two cross-filed ammunition bills are an excuse to codify the ammo logs.

I thought ammo logs were being avoided legislatively because they were already deemed to be illegal.

I must have missed something - the FOID bill is the Firearm Owner's ID bill, but I'm only aware of one other bill, namely the 'Assault Weapon' bill. What are the cross-filed bills?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I thought ammo logs were being avoided legislatively because they were already deemed to be illegal.

I must have missed something - the FOID bill is the Firearm Owner's ID bill, but I'm only aware of one other bill, namely the 'Assault Weapon' bill. What are the cross-filed bills?

They were never adjudicated as being illegal. They just pulled the bill last year because of the impending public relations nightmare that they were facing.

Bills can be cross-filed in both chambers at one time. It allows for quicker passage and allows for legislators to pander to their constituencies. Not all bills are cross-filed but the two high profile bills were.

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    They were never adjudicated as being illegal. They just pulled the bill last year because of the impending public relations nightmare that they were facing.

Huh. So tell me, how does one go about shaming a politician?

Bills can be cross-filed in both chambers at one time. It allows for quicker passage and allows for legislators to pander to their constituencies. Not all bills are cross-filed but the two high profile bills were.

Hmm... If these are intended to be a screen for something else, what could it be? I can only think that, if it is a screen, and if the people behind such a deception are on the ball, the thing they're trying to slip in is might be hidden in an unrelated bill. Maybe something like a public safety bill, or a health related one?

Are there any other avenues that might be used? If there's no change in the legislation, can there be a change in interpretation or policy on the way? Might we be missing a court case that's coming up?

Again, I apologize if these are irrelevant questions.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Letter from an individual in the Frederick News Post:

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/opinion/display_lte.htm?StoryID=101377

Gun owners beware: You are under attack by both the Maryland Senate and House of Delegates, and you need to voice your concern -- unless you are OK with massive changes to your hobby.
    House Bill 820 and Senate Bill 645, proposed by Sandy Rosenberg and Brian Frosh respectively, seek to: 1) brand your driver's license with a mark noting that you are a gun owner; 2) force you to obtain a permit to own your firearms through several labor intensive actions that will have a cost that is yet to be determined; 3) make the business of buying and selling firearms nearly impossible to maintain, due to legal red tape and added fees; and 4) create a list of firearms and their owners.

History has not been kind to individuals who have been singled out, branded, and placed on a list. Please read more on these bills, and contact your local representatives to voice your opinion. You cannot afford to let these bills pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom