Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1
WSM
Rugeritis

Smith and Wesson Model 94

Deborah from Estate Broker offered me a Smith and Wesson model 94 (i think) chambered in .38+p at an amazing price. I was going to hold out for a GP 100 or Security Six 4 inch stainless but this may be a deal I can't pass up. Any input on .357 vs .38...i know who the winner is but I want to hear the talking points anyway.

P.S. This is a Smith at a Ruger price

P.S.S. I love it when Deb calls me sweetie, she may have a customer for life here

WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2
joppaj

Sheepdog

.38+p is a fine round, but it's simply not a .357. You will eventually get the .357 and unless you just love the way the Smith shoots it will become a safe queen. I've bought and sold a lot of guns. Most of what I sold was because it wasn't what I really wanted, it's what I could find and afford. If it were me, as a revolver guy, save for the .357 and ask Deb to keep her eyes open.

Supporting our MDS Industry Partners helps keep MDS online. PLEASE give them a chance to earn your business and tell them that you found them here.

Quote:
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.- Col. Jeff Cooper
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM   #3
mikec

Are you sure it isn't a Model 64?

S&W Model 94 is a line of handcuffs.

The 64 is a very nice .38 wheel gun. J&G Sales in AZ, was selling some DAO trade ins recently. The 64 is a heavy barrle stainless version of the carbon steel Model 10.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #4
WSM
Rugeritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Are you sure it isn't a Model 64?

S&W Model 94 is a line of handcuffs.

The 64 is a very nice .38 wheel gun. J&G Sales in AZ, was selling some DAO trade ins recently. The 64 is a heavy barrle stainless version of the carbon steel Model 10.
you are correct

Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Biggfoot44

I will presume also it is a M64 , the stainless verson of the M10 . A decent loading of .38 +P is "reasonably adaquate" . CorBon's 11O JHP loading provides similar velocity and performance to major mfg's 110gr .357s .
And Ruger Speed Sixes go for a premium over similar K frames.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM   #6
jjbduke2004

Quote:

The 64 is a very nice .38 wheel gun. J&G Sales in AZ, was selling some DAO trade ins recently.
Indeed, I picked one up earlier this month from J&G via 2A Sales. It is in very good shape and I would not feel undergunned carrying it if I lived in a carry state.

jjbduke2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM   #7
WSM
Rugeritis

My only justification right now is that .38 is something good enough for me to train on and tame enough for my mother to shoot. I could see picking up a .38 and moving on to .357 in the future and leaving the .38 for my mom since she is getting a little uneasy about living with herself. Too many bizarre murders around town in the last few years.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
mikec

A .38 Special caliber wheel gun, loaded with Winchester 158 gr lead semi-wadcutter hollow points is a serious defense gun. Some of the 125 gr JHPs may be as effective.

I own a GP100 and do not load it with .357 ammo except for range time.

When I lived elsewhere I used to carry an alloy framed Colt snub nose with the Federal 125gr Nyclad lead HP. I didn't feel undergunned. Today a small framed Glock or S&W M&P in 9mm would be my #1 choice for carry.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #9
fivepointstar
Support IDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSM View Post
My only justification right now is that .38 is something good enough for me to train on and tame enough for my mother to shoot. I could see picking up a .38 and moving on to .357 in the future and leaving the .38 for my mom since she is getting a little uneasy about living with herself. Too many bizarre murders around town in the last few years.
You sound convinced...perhaps you should buy it before its gone. I saw it there last week....VERY NICE!

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."

I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:41 PM   #10
WSM
Rugeritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
You sound convinced...perhaps you should buy it before its gone. I saw it there last week....VERY NICE!
get ur hands off mah gun, piggy

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:06 AM   #11
joppaj

Sheepdog

Quote:
I own a GP100 and do not load it with .357 ammo except for range time.
May I ask why? I shoot about 30-50 rounds of .357 at range time to stay sharp, but it's mostly .38's at the range. My nightstand rounds however are always 125gr .357jhp.

Supporting our MDS Industry Partners helps keep MDS online. PLEASE give them a chance to earn your business and tell them that you found them here.

Quote:
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.- Col. Jeff Cooper
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM   #12
Eudaimonia

I just went through this dilemma. I wanted a GP100, but saw the DAO Model 64s at JG Sales and decided I could always get an S101 later if I really want a .357...

I can't wait to bring it home next week and take it to the range.
Eudaimonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #13
WSM
Rugeritis

my next dilemma is looking at the nice little SP 101's in .327 Federal Mag...love the cartridge versatility and ballistics...as always I would be throwing off the shelf cartridge availability to the wind

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #14
mikec

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppaj View Post
May I ask why? I shoot about 30-50 rounds of .357 at range time to stay sharp, but it's mostly .38's at the range. My nightstand rounds however are always 125gr .357jhp.
I carried the .38 and it was enough. With newer bullet designs and powders .38 ammo particularly the +P stuff is hot enough. It really doesn't matter. I am almost done testing/breaking in my P2022 and that will be the house gun. 15+1 of 115gr 9mm JHP's beat the .38 or .357 for home defense.
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #15
WSM
Rugeritis

Quote:
I carried the .38 and it was enough. With newer bullet designs and powders .38 ammo particularly the +P stuff is hot enough. It really doesn't matter. I am almost done testing/breaking in my P2022 and that will be the house gun. 15+1 of 115gr 9mm JHP's beat the .38 or .357 for home defense.
I beg to disagree...if you miss your first shot with the .357 the report will make your attacker deaf and disoriented so you can then get closer for your second, third, fourth etc....

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns