Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading

Old February 15th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #1
ken792

TiteWAD in .38 Special?

Basically none of the powders I wanted were at the gun show, except for Trail Boss, so I got a pound of Titewad. The reloading supplies seller told me that Alliant has suspended production of reloading powder for a year, so no Bullseye for me. On the Hodgdon Burn Rate table, Titewad is two steps above Red Dot, and four above Clays. Some Googling shows that people say they use Clays or Red Dot data as a rough starting point, and that they load 2.5-3gr for a 158gr lead bullet with success as a mild target load.

Has anyone loaded .38 Special with Titewad before?

Old February 15th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #2
coopermania
Uneducated Peon

Here is some titewad information from cast boolits forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-it-s-TITEWAD
coopermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Uncle Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken792 View Post
Basically none of the powders I wanted were at the gun show, except for Trail Boss, so I got a pound of Titewad. The reloading supplies seller told me that Alliant has suspended production of reloading powder for a year, so no Bullseye for me. On the Hodgdon Burn Rate table, Titewad is two steps above Red Dot, and four above Clays. Some Googling shows that people say they use Clays or Red Dot data as a rough starting point, and that they load 2.5-3gr for a 158gr lead bullet with success as a mild target load.

Has anyone loaded .38 Special with Titewad before?
I have not. I can say for sure that neither Hornady nor Speer nor Lyman nor Sierra's current editions list data for TiteWad in 38spl. For me, what I find more curious and perhaps more telling is that Hodgdon doesn't list data either. They do list TiteWad data in 45ACP. What that means I can't say. Perhaps never tested. Perhaps not an optimal choice. Perhaps not recommended.

For me, "perhaps" gives me sufficient pause that I'd be reallocating or trading off the TiteWad and looking far and wide for one of many powders with industry certified data. One man's opinion.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Winterborn
Senior Milk Drinker

I have used Titewad in .45acp loads, which works due to the fact that .45 acp is a low pressure cartridge (similar to most shotgun pressures, 10-14k psi). There is data from Hodgon to support this.

I would caution against using such a fast powder in high pressure loads like .38 or 9mm, as the pressure curve will sharply increase past the safe point.

If you can find data that safely supports it, go for it.

Or what menace meet on the road." - The Havamal

Member - NRA, Maryland Shall Issue, and Freestate Gun Range

Suzuki Boulevard C50T - "Summer Wind"
Winterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
coopermania
Uneducated Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterborn View Post
I have used Titewad in .45acp loads, which works due to the fact that .45 acp is a low pressure cartridge (similar to most shotgun pressures, 10-14k psi). There is data from Hodgon to support this.

I would caution against using such a fast powder in high pressure loads like .38 or 9mm, as the pressure curve will sharply increase past the safe point.

If you can find data that safely supports it, go for it.
You bet it can.. This is why I gave out the data from Cast Bullets, With no input from me.
With super fast and with super slow powders you have to be careful with rapid pressure changes. Sometimes in Small cases .01 to .02 tenths of a grain of powder can make pressures scream through the roof.
That's why its prudent to use the powders listed in the middle of the reloading charts. They will in most cases have the safeist and best pressure curve. I load a bunch of small case wildcats and the smallest is 17 squirrel and in that case .02 can mean the difference of no pressure and blowing out a primer pocket.
coopermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #6
ken792

I just called Hodgdon, and they said that they've been meaning to work up some Titewad loads for .38 Special, but not anytime soon since they are so busy.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading