Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Long1MD

Problem with S&W M&P 40c

I was hoping to get some advice on this pistol. I have been having a problem with the accuracy of this pistol. Every pistol I have, I can hit dead center at 25ft. With this pistol, I struggle to keep it on the sheet...WTF? Aside from being all over the place on the sheet, I find that, for the size there is entirely too much recoil. Part of the inaccuracy problem is the inability to get back on target because of recoil. A friend of mind shoots well in tournaments and owns the full sized version. We have tried different ammo with the same result. My question is does anyone else have a 40c with this problem or corrected this problem? Am I in need of a new recoil spring that will lower the recoil?
Long1MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Small 40s are not enjoyable to shoot. 9mm will be softer.

As far as the accuracy it could be you bit if another experienced shooter has the same rests it sounds like the gun is the problem. Call S&W and have them send a call tag and have it sent in for service. M&PS have had accuracy issues with some older models, perhaps this one just was the luck of the draw.

Don't try to modify it, it will void the warranty.

I assume you are using GOOD factory ammo, not reloads or steel cased ammo.

The post/s above is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing Gunsmith advice. My post/s do not constitute, nor do they create, a Gunsmith Contract or Warranty.

The opinion/s expressed do not reflect the opinion/s of Maryland Shooters or any Business and/or Organization.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Long1MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Small 40s are not enjoyable to shoot. 9mm will be softer.

As far as the accuracy it could be you bit if another experienced shooter has the same rests it sounds like the gun is the problem. Call S&W and have them send a call tag and have it sent in for service. M&PS have had accuracy issues with some older models, perhaps this one just was the luck of the draw.

Don't try to modify it, it will void the warranty.

I assume you are using GOOD factory ammo, not reloads or steel cased ammo.
CCI Blazer...cheap stuff, but shoots well in everything else I own. Speer Lawman, and Federal American Eagle. All of these brands perform well in everything else I own...low end or high end. Never any steel in anything I own except the AK.
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #4
xd40c
Business Owner-Gun Toter

I have an M&P .40c. I've never had any "unusual" accuracy issues. I'm not as accurate with it as I am with my revolvers, but I'm also no less accurate with it than say the xd40c. Compacts, by their nature, will be less accurate (in my opinion) than a given full size.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself.
Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.

Rule No. 1: Always take a gun to a gun fight. (They're great in knife fights too.)
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Long1MD

Hate it when THAT happens!
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #6
frdfandc
Touch it

I have this same firearm. I'm less accurate with this then my XDm .40. It's due to it being smaller (sight radius is shorter) and not having as much time behind the trigger. Every time I shoot it, I get better with it.

Most of my shots are about 1-1.5 inches left of center with the 40c, as opposed to my XDm, which I can place shots where I want them.

I want to get around 5-600 rounds through it first before even considering using it as a carry piece. If I don't get used to it, I'll trade it for a M&P 9c instead.
frdfandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Braddbdl
Fed up Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
I want to get around 5-600 rounds through it first before even considering using it as a carry piece. If I don't get used to it, I'll trade it for a M&P 9c instead.
Just get the conversion barrel from Storm Lake, and some 9mm mags. Then you will have the ability to shoot both.

NRA Life

NRA CRSO
IDPA SO
USPSA RSO
Braddbdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Magnumite

Test as indicated, that's the first step, it must be ruled out. If that is deemed okay the problem may have more to do with shootability than intrinsic accuracy. A long heavy trigger pull with lots of over travel allowing 8 or more pounds of released force to slam into the frame. Improving the trigger helped my 5" Pro9 a great deal. But I do NOT advise that now.

Last edited by Magnumite; August 27th, 2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Finished the post
Magnumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Boom Boom
you got no tattoo?

Look closely for any damage on the barrel crown with a flashlight. A common cause is dragging a steel cleaning handle along the bore's muzzle edge. Could also be due to barrel scoring, but not easy to see without a good bore scope. Heavy use of metal brushes for cleaning will do it. If you know anybody with the same gun, try their barrel in your gun and see if accuracy is any better. Frankly, the most common cause is jerking the trigger, especially if your finger is not quite long enough to comfortably reach the trigger.

"Society is doomed when its people are satisfied with their ignorance." - Me
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Long1MD

I have a few avenues for help. No one that I know personally is a true gunsmith. I posted because I own the LCP 380 and LC 9. I also have an XDS 45. I give you this info because I am truly use to small, "snappy" pistols. I can hit bullseye consistantly will the previous listed (the LCP takes a TON of practice). That would rule out shooting stance and trigger squeeze. I am thinking clean, examine bore/spring. I really contemplated trading in for a Remington 700 308 SPS with 20" barrel.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Jackson923
Hell Yeah!

Got mine to the range yesterday for the first time and noticed a similar issue. Put 70 rounds through it and it shot well at 10 yards from a defensive posture and while moving in retreat, but when I toed the line and shot at 2" circle from the same distance I only put 2/10 shots on the dot, shooting 1/2 silhouettes for the other shots no issue. I think I am use to the full size 9mm with my upgrades and I was anticipating the recoil prior to my shot because 8/10 were 3-4" low at 6 o'clock. OP please update if you find out the issue I am interested.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."
- Clint Smith
Jackson923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Long1MD

Will do. I have a custom Crossbreed holster and 4 mags. The pistol feels great and looks great. Really trying to keep this one especially with the climate here in MD.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #13
Jimbuck

Mine shoots low like Jackson923 mentioned. This is the only one that I have issues with (XD45, Sig 229 9MM and Glock 21SF).
Jimbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 02:20 PM   #14
John from MD

For you guys having accuracy problems, try some different ammo. I have noticed lately that brands that I thought were good to go now seem to have reliability and accuracy problems. Maybe it is a sign of the times.

My M&P40c, one of my carry guns, will shoot 1 inch groups from the bench at 20 yards using my handloads. White box stuff gives me three inch groups and blazer copper washed stuff is worse. I just shot the same test in a friends Sign229 (1982 US PX Germany) and it gave similar results so I know it is not just my gun.

As an aside, I carried a 229 for some years and it never had the trigger my buds has stock out to box. I wonder if the European guns didn't get the lawyer mods that ours do.

Old August 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM   #15
montoya32

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
For you guys having accuracy problems, try some different ammo. I have noticed lately that brands that I thought were good to go now seem to have reliability and accuracy problems. Maybe it is a sign of the times.

My M&P40c, one of my carry guns, will shoot 1 inch groups from the bench at 20 yards using my handloads. White box stuff gives me three inch groups and blazer copper washed stuff is worse. I just shot the same test in a friends Sign229 (1982 US PX Germany) and it gave similar results so I know it is not just my gun.

As an aside, I carried a 229 for some years and it never had the trigger my buds has stock out to box. I wonder if the European guns didn't get the lawyer mods that ours do.

I know my M&P9 has accuracy changes with different weight ammo. It likes 115gr the best. The heavier I get, the wider my shot groups are. I suppose it could be me, but it is less accurate with heavier rounds.

443-463-3592 cell
www.themarylandrealestateblog.com
www.allhomes4me.com
www.whatsupharford.com

<a href=http://www.facebook.com/timmontoyarealtor target=_blank>http://www.facebook.com/timmontoyarealtor</a>
montoya32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Long1MD

I fixed the problem by selling it today...dam I'm good! Using the proceeds for a long range, bolt 308 project.
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #17
Long1MD

.40 cal ammo

Since I got rid of the only .40cal that I owned, now looking to sell the ammo. I have Winchester White Box 165Gr, Winchester Ranger Bonded JHP, Winchester PDX1 180gr, Remington UMC 180gr and a couple of others to sell. Anyone interested let me know and we can work something out.
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #18
yellowfin
Pro 2A Gastronome

Send a message via AIM to yellowfin
I was going to suggest trying different grip backs as that made a HUGE difference for me, but too late now I see.

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #19
Long1MD

I actually tried that also. I liked how it felt in my hand, but it was just too snappy. One could say all compacts are snappy, but I have subcompacts with less recoil. I pulled it apart and found nothing wrong with the spring or barrel. I tried different rounds as well as backstraps. Maybe I got one made on a Monday or a Friday. Whatever the case, I used the proceeds for a .308 bolt rifle with a threaded, 5R barrel.
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Long1MD

Anyone interested in a worn-one-time, s&w m&p 40c Crossbreed IWB Supertuck?

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing