Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Old September 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1
jkray

Deer Transport

I was wondering if MD had any regulations on transport of a harvested animal. Obvioulsy I know I have to fill out the big game field tag and harvest record and check it in and recieve a confirmation number. But once all of that has been completed are there any regulations on how you transport the deer.

For example In Maine (which is the last state I hunted in) you must have enough of the animal open to view so that a passing warden can visually detirmine the gender of the deer. This leads to heads hanging out of car trunks or propped over tailgates.

In Maine this isn't an issue because almost everyone hunts and if they don't they are used to this sight. However I think the average joe in MOCO would have a heart attack followed by months of nughtmares if such a thing was viewed.

Is there something similar in MD? I couldnt find anything in the general regulations

“He who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.” Luke 22:36
jkray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Streetgang
OP4

In MD They teach in hunter safety to cover the kill so as not to offend those who think Bambi shouldn't be killed. This is being a good steward according to the DNR. I don't know if it's law but is taught in hunter safety. I personally think it's dumb but whatever.

SLSC CRSO, NRA CRSO, Rifle and Pistol Instructor. Prior Navy SAMI (0812) and NSW RSO, MDSP Qualified Handgun Instructor, FFL03, MD Designated Collector, Woodworker, Tree Dwelling Backpacker and all around curmudgeon.
Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

common sense and courtesy... cover it if you are not driving a pickup truck.

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
BlackBart
Aging Teen Idol

Back of pick up or in trunk are best, NOT on hood of car which gets warm.

In 1272, the Arabic Islamic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1873, the British somewhat refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.

We Lied and Counted on the Stupidity of the American Voter. November 10, 2014. Unfortunately, they won.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #5
jkray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetgang View Post
In MD They teach in hunter safety to cover the kill so as not to offend those who think Bambi shouldn't be killed. This is being a good steward according to the DNR. I don't know if it's law but is taught in hunter safety. I personally think it's dumb but whatever.
Yeah I figured it would have been covered in the MD hunter safety class but since I took my hunter safety class in Maine I diddnt need a MD one. Thanks all you confirmed my assumption to keep it covered

Old September 20th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #6
foxtrapper
well armed coyote

Now and then someone has the tailgate open and you can see either a large buck with nice antlers, or a stack of does and small bucks. This is called "showing off". Most times you have to go look in the truck bed. Honestly, if you enjoy looking at dead deer, go hang out at a processor on opening day shotgun/rifle. LOL

One time I had someone bring me a whole gutted bear of about only 90 pounds, but it was in a giant cooler with lots of ice. After skinning I joked how it looked like a headless footless skinned person. Now you DON'T want that hanging off the back while driving around.

I have seen some folks with those hitch haul things on the backs of vans or whatnot, with an uncovered dead deer, driving around. Out here in redneck land though LOL.

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Vandy

Not sure of any specific regulations. I've always just thrown it in the bed of the truck and never given it another thought. The animal does need to be tagged, but not necessarily checked in with confirmation number (yet). You have 24 hours from the time of harvest to check-in, but the tag is supposed to be applied right away.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #8
itsslow98

I put it on my cargo carrier on the back of the jeep and cover it with a tarp. No sense in having crazies yelling at you. I mainly do it so 5 year old children dont have to see it.
itsslow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:40 AM   #9
honda53s

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
I put it on my cargo carrier on the back of the jeep and cover it with a tarp. No sense in having crazies yelling at you. I mainly do it so 5 year old children dont have to see it.
They also get dragged out of the woods in the back of a golf kart lol
honda53s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:07 AM   #10
SOMDSHOOT
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to SOMDSHOOT
I strap the Deer to the tailgate of my old Dodge "Huntin' Truck" and roll on down the highway to the walkin cooler. Who sees what I got between point A and point B will either been jealous or offended. Either way it's my person right to hunt and there's no law against me strapping it to any part of my vehicle.

This is how I roll... and that's a damn fine looking '86 Dodge too...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1220111813.jpg (45.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg DODGEMULE.jpg (63.4 KB, 292 views)
SOMDSHOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM   #11
FFMike

Make sure it is tagged.... I believe that is the only thing and I think it is an offense for which they can issue a fine.
FFMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Mooseman
Hooligan #4

Sitting upright in the passenger seat. This way, you can use the HOV lanes.

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:23 AM   #13
davelenard

A deer should be wrapped in at least two layers of plastic, heavy duty yard bags and mattress wraps work great, and loaded into the trunk of a fine German automobile. I learned this from too many mobster movies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer in benz.jpg (31.6 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg trunk.jpg (68.9 KB, 272 views)
davelenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
jmitche4

No laws on it but most of these yuppie types would have a fit if you didn't cover it
jmitche4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelenard View Post
A deer should be wrapped in at least two layers of plastic, heavy duty yard bags and mattress wraps work great, and loaded into the trunk of a fine German automobile. I learned this from too many mobster movies.
sad thing is people laugh if they saw a fake arm hanging out of a trunk but if you put a deer leg or head hanging out people get offended
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM   #16
jkray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
Sitting upright in the passenger seat. This way, you can use the HOV lanes.

Old September 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM   #17
GRAY GHOST
The 43rd

bag it and tag it. a nice buck is like a nice set of tits SHOW THEM OFF!!!
GRAY GHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:48 PM   #18
IndispensableDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkray View Post
I was wondering if MD had any regulations on transport of a harvested animal. Obvioulsy I know I have to fill out the big game field tag and harvest record and check it in and recieve a confirmation number. But once all of that has been completed are there any regulations on how you transport the deer.
Yeah, feet up:

IndispensableDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:05 AM   #19
semper000

Seriously are people really concerned about having other people see their kill. Not much a hunter myself, but damn just thorough it in the back of your truck bed and be done with it. Other than being legal and tagged of course and maybe a courtesy to children not that big a deal to me. Besides, I see way more "slaughtered" animals along the road side, then I ever will see from a hunter.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:29 AM   #20
Atec

Out in the open with tongue hanging out , and big sign attached that says Rodolph the red nose rain deer was bad !
Don't forgot to wear your Santa outfit. Then drive through a few elementary schools during recess a beep the truck horn !
Atec is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports