Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
rmbstyle17

non resident Florida ccw question

Im looking to get my non resident Florida ccw permit and I know a firearms safety course is required, but I was wondering if it has to be a handgun specific course. I completed a NRA Basic Rifle course back in 2008, and I was wondering if that would meet the requirement? I was hoping to save some money and not have to take a NRA Basic Pistol course.

Thanks!
rmbstyle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
mrjam2jab

It doesn't say "Pistol"...might come down to their definition of "firearm". If it were me, I would just use what you have.

Quote:
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Prudence will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed
mrjam2jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
PJDiesel
Banable

Florida doesnt distinguish between res and non-res, for future reference. As long as you have a MD Hunters Safety card you are good to go. Include your queer MSP online handgun safety card, good to go.
PJDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #4
aray

This is directly from the Florida web pages (with bold text by me)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0790.06.html

Quote:
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;
Take-aways: it is pretty flexible on the specifics of the class, but it also requires a live fire demonstration.

There are plenty of Industry Partner trainers here on MDS who do the Utah certification and who will for a small additional fee get you out to a range to provide the live fire certification requirement for the Florida permit as well.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
rmbstyle17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post
This is directly from the Florida web pages (with bold text by me)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0790.06.html

Take-aways: it is pretty flexible on the specifics of the class, but it also requires a live fire demonstration.

There are plenty of Industry Partner trainers here on MDS who do the Utah certification and who will for a small additional fee get you out to a range to provide the live fire certification requirement for the Florida permit as well.
We did do a live fire demonstration during the NRA basic rifle course.
rmbstyle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #6
ProShooter

Your NRA Basic Rifle class should be fine. I like to see folks take a handgun specific course, but if after having taken that NRA rifle course, you understand how to safely handle and discharge a rifle, the same concept of safety should apply and that is what I believe is the legislative intent of their requirement.

Go for it.

I'm from Jersey, and I take firearms training very, very seriously. Please accept either reason to explain why I come off as an ass when I post about firearms training.

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim, Chief Range Safety Officer
Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Utah, and Florida permits
SABRE Pepper Spray Instructor
12 year veteran - former law enforcement
Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/
ProShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #7
platoonDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbstyle17 View Post
Im looking to get my non resident Florida ccw permit and I know a firearms safety course is required, but I was wondering if it has to be a handgun specific course. I completed a NRA Basic Rifle course back in 2008, and I was wondering if that would meet the requirement? I was hoping to save some money and not have to take a NRA Basic Pistol course.

Thanks!
My hunting partner only ever completed a Black Power Course in NJ and Florida granted him a CCW.
platoonDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8
ProShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
My hunting partner only ever completed a Black Power Course in NJ and Florida granted him a CCW.
Was this him?

I'm from Jersey, and I take firearms training very, very seriously. Please accept either reason to explain why I come off as an ass when I post about firearms training.

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim, Chief Range Safety Officer
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #9
BigW
Tactical Geek

LOL... that was awesome! Almost peed my pants...
BigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #10
ProShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigW View Post
LOL... that was awesome! Almost peed my pants...
I almost did the same while typing it!

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Ruger556

Now THAT is funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
Was this him?

Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor
Maryland State Police HQL Instructor
Federal Firearms Instructor/Rangemaster (Retired)

Federal Law Enforcement (Retired)
Special Forces Engineer 18C40 (Retired)
Explosive Detection Canine Handler (Retired)
Ruger556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Blaster229
God loves you, I don't.

BEST. ZING. EVER!!!

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #13
csanc123

Damn...that should go into the MDshooters Laughable Moment Hall of Fame!

That right there was funny as hell..
csanc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #14
CHEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
Was this him?

Awesome!
CHEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Mason-Dixon Baseball

I can't stop thinking now of the Dave Chappel skit were he played a blind black man who was in the KKK and doesn't realize he's black .... "White power!!" he'd say over and over....

Thanks Markp!
Mason-Dixon Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #16
eruby

I still remember John Carlos and Tommie Smith from the 1968 Olympics.

250px-Carlos-Smith.jpg

Beat your ploughshares into swords, and your pruning-hooks into spears; let the weakling say, I am strong. Joel 3 : 10
eruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Biohazard2m

Ok, I was browsing through this thread with no issue until I got to the picture... I laughed quite out loud. Well played, well played indeed
Biohazard2m is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety