Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Archery

Old April 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Winterborn
Senior Milk Drinker

Been gifted with a bow

Hi all,

I know nothing about archery or bow shooting, but I am curious and recently my father in law gifted me with a compound bow.

I believe it is a 60lb draw, but I am not sure of the weight or the draw length.

When doing some reading on the subject, I am interested in getting the bow set up for me, as far as draw length and pull strength. Is there somewhere in the Middle River/Essex area and surrounding that can do this for me?

I also want someone to check out the string, etc.... and also evaluate the arrows that came with it.

Any advice appreciated. I would give more info but it is at the house and I am at work atm, I cannot remember a model number or brand name.

Oh, and the purpose of this bow is basically just target shooting, I don't really hunt and am not planning to bow hunt with it.

Thanks,

Rich

Or what menace meet on the road." - The Havamal

Member - NRA, Maryland Shall Issue, and Freestate Gun Range

Suzuki Boulevard C50T - "Summer Wind"
Winterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Hi all,

I know nothing about archery or bow shooting, but I am curious and recently my father in law gifted me with a compound bow.

I believe it is a 60lb draw, but I am not sure of the weight or the draw length.

When doing some reading on the subject, I am interested in getting the bow set up for me, as far as draw length and pull strength. Is there somewhere in the Middle River/Essex area and surrounding that can do this for me?

I also want someone to check out the string, etc.... and also evaluate the arrows that came with it.

Any advice appreciated. I would give more info but it is at the house and I am at work atm, I cannot remember a model number or brand name.

Oh, and the purpose of this bow is basically just target shooting, I don't really hunt and am not planning to bow hunt with it.

Thanks,

Rich
If you are unsure of the age of the bow string dont pull it back...it could snap if its old...any bow shop should be able to get you a new string and get your draw length...others will follow for good places up closer to you...
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #3
blksniper2000
certified lurker

Macrotech in Brooklyn should be able to hook you up, I also heard bass pro in arundel mills mall can do it

Associated gun clubs of Baltimore (AGC)
Maryland Tenth Cavalry Gun Club
http://marylandtenthcavalry.org/wd/
Arlington Rifle & Pistol Club
http://arlingtonrpc.net/

Member of the HK yacht club
blksniper2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
xd40c
Business Owner-Gun Toter

I like to use Autumn Sky in Street MD. There's also Deer Creek Archery in Churchville. Both in Harford County.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself.
Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.

Rule No. 1: Always take a gun to a gun fight. (They're great in knife fights too.)
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Ganegrei
Comblock Convert

If you want to get into archery you should not start off with a 60 pound bow. In order to get good at target shooting you should begin with a 30-35 pound recurve and work up to higher draw weight later. It is going to be difficult to practice proper shooting form having to draw 60 pounds each time.
Ganegrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:24 AM   #6
geichel

Ill second Autumn Sky! Great shop, a little far away from you but WELL worth the drive. I've purchased two bows there so far and I would not go anywhere else. Also if you didnt know there is a great range in Gunpowder State Park at the end of Ebenezer Rd. Its FREE!
geichel is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Archery