Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Archery

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1
itsatrap

Arrow Advice for some one interested in purchasing a bow/crossbow

I am an avid firearm user/owner, and always wanted to get into bow hunting. My dads buddy uses a crossbow and my dad would like to get one instead of a compound bow (he'd be the one floating the bill as i'm a broke college grad). So my questions are as follows, what do you recommend Compound or crossbow? Whats a good bow to look at for someone who is not very experienced? What are some things to look for in a good bow/crossbow so i know what im looking at? What are the differences with the material the arrow/bolt shafts are made of? What do you use/recommend? What are some good brands for arrow heads bolt heads etc...?

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by itsatrap; January 8th, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
itsatrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #2
mdram

im no expert, but i would suggest going somplace that has a good selection
hold some of the bows you are interested in
see what feels right in your hand
you should be able to test the draw weights and let offs to see what your comfotable with

match the arrow/bolt to the bow
i prefer carbon

as for broadheads, well thats like asking what brand of bullet people prefer
some fly better/truer depedning on the arrow and bow
mdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #3
itsatrap

Thanks, do you have any brand/model recommendations? I would be going to bass pro and don't want some sales pitch.

Old January 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #4
mdram

thatas a personal preference too
im partial to pse
mdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #5
XFireBowstrings
Custom String Maker

Carbon bolts or arrows are most popular these days...
XFireBowstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Redneck
FISH HARD, F*CK HARDER!

Thats a lot. Go to an archery shop like Autumn Sky or Macro tech and talk to them. Everybody has different opinions on what they like and don't like. I have a PSE with hopes of buying a Mathews in the future. My PSE is just fine. I shoot Easton Axis arrow with Rage 2 blades. I'm also thinking about getting a crossbow bc it would be easier to use out of a few of my stands. Go finger bang and test shoot everything you can.
Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #7
boule

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatrap View Post
Thanks, do you have any brand/model recommendations? I would be going to bass pro and don't want some sales pitch.
It's pretty much a personal preference what you go with. Recurve vs. compound is always an interesting discussion.
I personally use an excalibur recurve crossbow. If you want to try it, It's usually in the car when I am up at AGC. I just need to find the field points somewhere....

Old January 8th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8
kmb

I was in your spot a few months back. I went up to Bass Pro Shops and the place was a mad house. Of course it was after Hurricane Irene came through but I didn't expect it to be stupid crazy. I echo all the comments made before. I'd recommend you go someplace where there is a large selection, touch as many as you can, and fire as many as you can. Then go to a specific shop and ask them for guidance as I didn't feel the guys at BPS knew what they were doing. I actually got better advice from bow hunters there than the folks working the bow counter.

Or just go to a dedicated shop to begin with. There aren't any bow-specific places in MoCo, or at least none that I could find or knew about.

I ended up with a used 2010 Mathews DXT, with about a dozen or so arrows, case, and 2 QRs for $600. And it had new string and wasn't used in all of 2011. It's the only bow I tried where I nocked in an arrow, aimed and hit the vital part of the target consistently. I tried a bunch at BPS when I was there and was all over the place. There's was a bunch of used stuff mid-season on Craigs List and that's how I got mine. I think some gems are to be had if you're careful. Best of luck.
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #9
itsatrap

Thanks, il look for up those shops, My dad made a good point, my shoulder is kinda messed up, has been for a long time, so a crossbow may be better, il see when I go try some stuff.

Old January 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #10
VNVGUNNER

If your thinking about a crossbow, do your self a favor and take a look at TenPoint.

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/Promo.asp
VNVGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Pale Ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNVGUNNER View Post
If your thinking about a crossbow, do your self a favor and take a look at TenPoint.

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/Promo.asp
My money Horton crossbow, somebody else money, Tenpoint.
Pale Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #12
VNVGUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ryder View Post
My money Horton crossbow, somebody else money, Tenpoint.
VNVGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Nelben

Check out bowsite.com you'll be able to find more info than you could imagine.

Nelben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #14
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Bass pro wont be giving you any deals...lol they probably have a good selection. Lots depends on what you are willing to spend. We have a Parker Bushwacker. It has 4 confirmed 1 unconfirmed deer kills...its a 150lb draw and it shot straight through a buck and a spike at 23 yds with rage broadhead. If you get the fixed blade it will have even more pass through as not as much energy is lost because the blades arent moving...a well placed shot will take down a deer whether fixed or mechanical blades...
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #15
Treeguy

marylandwhitetail.com find thi8s site read up lots of archery info

Many of the questions you ask are subjective to opinion.

I shoot a Elite Bow, Carbon arrows, slicktrick heads..

As for the crossbow/ compound thing..well i personly have shot lots of crossbows but prefer the compound bow, its more fun for me then a crossbow. The draw on a deer when they are close, the practicing form and being a archer thing is not really there with a crossbow in my opinion..its more of a scope and gun feel.
Treeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #16
llkoolkeg
Hairy Flaccid Member

Location: Holding the line South of Gettysburg in 2A-friendly Carroll County, USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boule View Post
...I personally use an excalibur recurve crossbow...
Same here...don't they just freaking rule!

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

-Thucydides in The History of the Peloponnesian War
llkoolkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #17
MikeTF

Get a tree stand, camo, play the wind and work on being scent free. Don't forget to scout the area several months before you hunt it.

1997 UK abolishes private gun ownership. 1999 Violent crimes increase 40+%, while in the USA crime rates fall by 12%.
MikeTF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Screwtop.243
Ouch...that thing kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatrap View Post
I am an avid firearm user/owner, and always wanted to get into bow hunting. My dads buddy uses a crossbow and my dad would like to get one instead of a compound bow (he'd be the one floating the bill as i'm a broke college grad). So my questions are as follows, what do you recommend Compound or crossbow? Whats a good bow to look at for someone who is not very experienced? What are some things to look for in a good bow/crossbow so i know what im looking at? What are the differences with the material the arrow/bolt shafts are made of? What do you use/recommend? What are some good brands for arrow heads bolt heads etc...?

Thanks a bunch
I bow-hunted successfully for many years and when I got started I went to a good shop where I was properly fit to a bow that would serve my purposes. I began with a Darton Renegade and several years later upgraded to a Matthews q2. Don't get trapped into the idea that you need alot of draw weight. I routinely got good "pass-throughs" on mature deer shooting at 55 lbs. with a 2314.

I've shot both carbon and aluminum arrows, but always got the best results from a good, sturdy aluminum arrow and a conventional 100-grain broadhead. You may also need a slight helical twist on the vanes/feathers to get good stabalization, depending upon your set up.

Practice alot. You owe it to the animal. Shoot from your tree stand into a quality 3d target so you can get the feel for good arrow placement and can consistently put the arrow in the pumping station. There are few things more frustrating than not recovering an animal as a result of poor shot placement.

As for crossbows, I just bought my first one (an Excalibur Vortex) and I'm anxious to try my hand at this new sport. I am impressed with the simplicity in their design and they seem to offer great technical information and tutorial videos on their website. I'm sure others will have good advice on these.

Good luck!

ST.243

Old March 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #19
xd40c
Business Owner-Gun Toter

Take a short trip to visit these guys. Most awsome archery store you'll ever set foot in.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself.
Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.

Rule No. 1: Always take a gun to a gun fight. (They're great in knife fights too.)
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Archery