Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety

Old February 19th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #21
K31
You're Harshing My Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
I tried the Nettipot, last time I felt it coming on. The next week I had the worse sinus infection Ive ever had. Could have been a coincidence but not willing to try it.
You're lucky.

http://blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news...neti-pots.html

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

"The 'War on Poverty? Whose side are they on?" - Carl, caller to WMAL talk show
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Forager
Imported curmudgeon

Lasik is the best money my wife and I ever spent. It took her from legally blind without glasses to 20/15.

For self-defense, I can't imagine NOT getting Lasik.
Forager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #23
nomo613

i have indeed thought about lasic in this sense. glasses are definitely a disability in a shtf scenario. but at what point is it worth it? my eyes are bad but not that bad. i need glasses to drive only so i can read signs, is it worth the risk of the surgury? what is the success rate?
nomo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #24
Schwabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
I'm not sure what they use other than a laser but there is "fix" for presbyopia where one eye is "corrected" for short distances and the other for farther away. A co-worker had this done.
The place I went to called that Mono vision. The simulated it by giving me two different contacs. You actually give up some of your "far" vision for this. It is a compromise and does not give you 20/20 vision. It allows you to read your watch or price checks, product labels etc but if you actually read something longer or work on a computer you would still need reading glasses. And of course it is only temporary until your vision further deteriorates. The first day I had the contacts I hated it, then I adjusted and loved it for the next 3-4 days. Then when they were taken out I was like WOW - everything seemed so much clearer. I have basically 20/20 vision but cannot read anymore. With this procedure I sooner or later would need glasses to pass the driver license eye test which I do not need with my vision now.

I debated it for very long time but did not feel like giving something up that was still good, like when the dentist has to shave off enamel to fit a crown. You can never get that enamel back.

I was told if I had the Mono vision procedure done I still would need to wear glasses since I work on a computer all day long, that did not seem worth it.

But what I meant with my post was that Lasik can 100% correct myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism, it cannot do this for age related presbyopia, it will not give you 20/20 near nor far.

The arrogance of their superiority requires this reminder. They don't OWN us, they don't give us rights. WE grant them power. They don't make us safe, we pay to protect them. They don't make us free, WE'RE FREE ALREADY!!!

Change the Free State - become a DINO

For god's sake VOTER REGISTRATION here
Schwabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #25
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo613 View Post
i have indeed thought about lasic in this sense. glasses are definitely a disability in a shtf scenario. but at what point is it worth it? my eyes are bad but not that bad. i need glasses to drive only so i can read signs, is it worth the risk of the surgury? what is the success rate?
Success rate is north of 95%. Researchers calculated the risk of significant vision loss consequence of LASIK surgery to be around 1-in-10,000 cases.

The FDA received 140 "negative reports relating to LASIK" for the time period 1998–2006 according to a 2008 NYT article

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:55 AM   #26
OldSchool1959

Wish I could but a tumor in my right eye precludes any fiddling with my left. I will be spending Lasik level money on an RMR and Stream light TLR. Anyone know how I could use my flex spending money on optics? I typically get the second pair for half price glasses deal at Costco so I guess I could be guilty of stockpiling.

MSI Member, NRA Member, Maryland Collector, FFL03, Utah CFP Holder, Reloader, DINO.
OldSchool1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #27
Eddie Van
Dude

The OP's question reminds me of the classic twilight zone episode with Burgess Meredith:

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Need to borrow a pistol lock? Search here
Eddie Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #28
platekiller

Great video. More worried about survival than reading. So where does everyone get there cheap glasses online? How cheap are they? I don't have the money for LASIK, but I have been thinking about the down side to glasses and contacts.
platekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #29
WARPIG [USMC]
03 Kill Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
i plan on just beating up nerds and dweebs and taking their glasses.
This had me cracking up at work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #30
Mrhyde
Capitalist-Pig

I recently started wearing glasses to correct a very slight problem. I would be comfortable without them if need be. I'm not nearly bad enough to warrant getting lasik. (besides, glasses make me look smarter) haha

I've decided to make use of the online companies and pick up a few very basic sets of glasses to stash around the home and office. My friend gets his for $15 and while they aren't super tough they do the job just fine.

For 45 bucks I can have a pair in the car, office, and BOB. In addition to the pair I've got on my noggin' now.

Seems like the best idea in my situation for sure. Probably not right for a lot of people though.

In a SHTF situation I want every advantage I can get.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM   #31
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
I tried the Nettipot, last time I felt it coming on. The next week I had the worse sinus infection Ive ever had. Could have been a coincidence but not willing to try it.

Afraid if I stockpile sudeophedrine the DEA will bust down my door.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Nettipot is nothing but a saline solution to keep your sinus clean. It helped me little. I gets sinus headaches a lot. If you have infection, you need real meds not the over the counter meds.

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #32
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhyde View Post
I recently started wearing glasses to correct a very slight problem. I would be comfortable without them if need be. I'm not nearly bad enough to warrant getting lasik. (besides, glasses make me look smarter) haha

I've decided to make use of the online companies and pick up a few very basic sets of glasses to stash around the home and office. My friend gets his for $15 and while they aren't super tough they do the job just fine.

For 45 bucks I can have a pair in the car, office, and BOB. In addition to the pair I've got on my noggin' now.

Seems like the best idea in my situation for sure. Probably not right for a lot of people though.

In a SHTF situation I want every advantage I can get.
That's what Binoculars and rifle-scopes are for
Inigoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:14 AM   #33
boricuamaximus

I got lasik as part of my shtf prepper scenario.

However, make sure you have your teeth fixed. Plenty of dental floss, toothpaste and toothbrushes. I mean plenty like a case of each.

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
-- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
1911's dont suck especially if they are Nighthawk, Ed, Les, or Wilson.
boricuamaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM   #34
BlueHeeler

SHTF aside...

It seems like LASIK would be beneficial from now and every day after for the rest of your life.
BlueHeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:56 PM   #35
sbmike

I had lasik surgery almost nine years ago (while in my 50's) and I too never looked back. As has been already pointed out, unless you go the monovision route, you may still need reading glasses if you are over 40, but I think I could manage the reading difficulty better than not being able to see distance. I had my eyes checked a couple of months ago and my vision is still 20/20 with no astigmatism. In a shtf situation, I'd just make sure I've got a magnifying glass of some sort if I didn't have actual reading glasses. I just wish I had done it sooner.

"Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else." Margaret Mead

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Unknown

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." Thomas Jefferson
sbmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety