Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
AliasNeo07

Send a message via AIM to AliasNeo07
So...what's the deal with GI 30 rd AR mags?

I'm going to the gunshow tomorrow in York, PA, and am going to pick up some mags. Definitely getting some PMAGS, so no need to say "don't buy GIs, buy pmags."

I do want to get SOME GI mags just cause they'll probably be a little bit cheaper.

Question is, what should I look for? Are there many different manufacturers? Which follower should I be looking for? Are they NIB are surplus? Etc.

Totally new to aluminum GI mags.

Thx.
AliasNeo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
rj1974
eating crayons and paste

Send a message via Yahoo to rj1974
colt , parsons , adventure line Ill have to get out the book I cant remember all the manufacturers ......... I use mostly GI mags

brownells makes great metal mags too

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
rob
DINO Extraordinaire

I mostly use cheap C-Products steel & aluminum mags.

I have a few AR Stoner mags that are really nice.

Rob.

If the government fears the people, there is freedom.
If the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

The purpose of the 2nd amendment is not hunting, not sport, not self defense, but freedom from tyranny.

Second Amendment Foundation -- Maryland Shall Issue -- NRA Life Member
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #4
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasNeo07 View Post
I'm going to the gunshow tomorrow in York, PA, and am going to pick up some mags. Definitely getting some PMAGS, so no need to say "don't buy GIs, buy pmags."

I do want to get SOME GI mags just cause they'll probably be a little bit cheaper.

Question is, what should I look for? Are there many different manufacturers? Which follower should I be looking for? Are they NIB are surplus? Etc.

Totally new to aluminum GI mags.

Thx.
get mags with anti-tilt followers...the green ones and black followers are typically junk IMO...unless they are anti-tilt...most ive seen are brown or orange followers. around $10 a mag is good average price.
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #5
zombiehunter

I have a bunch of GI spec 20/30 mags by c-products and D&H they work fine in ARs, not so fine in my PLR.

Want Silver? I have some for sale, like these (not my store/ad) One ounce bars, pre-scored into 1/4 ounce pieces. Discounted from Ebay prices premiums depending on quantity (80 ounces available).
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
NHaze
Zombie Hunter

I was wondering the same thing and headed up there for the same thing on Sunday, haha!

Sent from my Droid

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -P. Henry c.1788
NHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #7
JCB003

O-Kay Industries, should be able to get them new for $8-$10 each, sometimes there is a guy there who will sell "buy 10 get one free". I probably have 100 O-Kay mags still in their cardboard boxes. I really need ammo to load them up.
JCB003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Ab_Normal
Ab_member

Recently manufactured - Okay, NHMTG, and Colt are all the "same" mag.

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #9
erwos
Jew with a Gun

Personal opinion? I think pmags handle better and feel stronger than the GI aluminum magazines I have. There's also the maglevel/window feature, which is nice to have.
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Rockerspsl

I can't say which is stronger, I've seen many army mags dent and crack and I've seen a Pmag split apart right down the seam, I guess the difference is that the pmags don't dent.

The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Rockerspsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #11
clandestine
Firearm Technician

Get some Lancers too if you can. A Little nicer than PMAGs IMO.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Indiana Jones
Retired.

All but 3 of my GI mags are made by Center Industries. Those are great surplus mags, and my other 3 are brownells, Colt, and Bushmaster. All of em work great! I think PMAGS are very good too. I prefer GI however for the look. I haven't found a bad GI mag yet, but I've only used those 4 brands. Good hunting!
Indiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Bootknife

D&H,C prod,what the others have said.I usually order new from .44MAG.com because I have a place in Jax Florida so i have them sent there,I have both Alum and SS all work well.And heed the advice on Anti Tilt Followers!!
Bootknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #14
QuebecoisWolf

Uh-oh. You've done it now... you've unleashed my GI mag rant!!!1!!

I HATE GI mags with a vengeance that can only be understood by someone who has used them in the field. First off, they're probably made out of recycled coke cans. They dent if touched by a feather or q-tip. They deform like butter in the microwave. No two GI mags seem to fit quite the same. Some are tighter than *obscene words deleted due to forum terms of service*. Others are looser than *obscene words deleted due to forum terms of service*. That's not all. What the part of the magazine that your fingers touch the most? The feed lips, right? So why don't AR-15 series rifles have a single pointed corner or sharp edge but the standard-issue magazine has razor-sharp feed lips that will rip you fingers to pieces plus four sharp corners on the bottom that can break skin if you have to slap on the magazine to get it seated - which you will almost always have to do because the f---ing thing never fits into the mag well properly? Who comes up with these ideas? Not Eugene Stoner, oh no. He was smart enough to put reasonably thick feed lips on the magazine he built to go with his new rifle. Too bad Stoner didn't make a 30 round magazine. Except the "30-rounder" doesn't really hold 30 rounds. I was trained to never load more than 28 because the mags don't function properly when fully loaded. Why, you ask? Because the USGI 30 rounder has the worst spring and follower ever put into a military magazine. Full stop. Do you like follower tilt? If so, the green follower tilts more than a cheater playing pinball and a carnival ride combined. The magazine spring is so weak and so flimsy that you can probably make a better one yourself out of paper clips. That's nice. Take a rifle that is known to run dirty and combine it with a horrible, horrible magazine that was hurriedly invented in the late 1960s because the big brass morons on the US Army General Staff needed an intoxicated Soviet ex-sergeant to tell them that "30 bullets is better than 20."
QuebecoisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #15
r3t1awr3yd
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecoisWolf View Post
blah blah blah *obscene words deleted due to forum terms of service* blah blah blah
Wait, you read those?

I'm Wally: website | blog | scotchNsniff | twitter | myBand | New Photography Project!
Designated Collector, C&R Licensee
r3t1awr3yd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #16
dneidFIST

The only time I've ever had the original mags fail on me was when I was using blanks during training exercises. That's the only time when I had the follow tilt on me. When using real rounds, I've never had a problem with them. I never liked to use them when I was deployed though - I went with PMAGs, some HK mags we had (which are noticeably heavier and a little longer), and the USGI mags that had the upgraded follower and spring (as state before, the brownish/orange-ish follower). I never had a mag failure with any of those magazines.

I have a couple of USGI mags with the old followers. I'm planning on getting the upgraded followers and springs for them and I heard they cost about $2 to buy, so that might be something to look into.
dneidFIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #17
straightsilver3
Banned

http://www.ar15.com/content/products...formation.html This review covers every G.I Mag out there P mags and Lancer's are not in this review We all know these are GTG
straightsilver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #18
Bootknife

Hey Q maybe Decalf would help LOL
Bootknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #19
QuebecoisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootknife View Post
Hey Q maybe Decalf would help LOL
Can decaf remove minor scars? I've suffered some sort of bloody finger injury every time that I do ammo detail. There's no sane reason why any military magazine should have feed lips that thin. You can probably bend them just by stepping on the magazine.

In all honesty, USGI AR mags are among the worst to be issued with a service rifle since WWII. About the only nice things that I can say about them is that they're cheap, easy to find, and very light. Thanks to the cheap price, I have about 20 or so of them myself. About a quarter of them have new followers and springs. The rest are for range use only. I really don't understand why anyone would go out and buy HK steel mags to go shoot at paper, but whatever floats your boat. For serious field use, however, milsurp GI mags are a poor choice.
QuebecoisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #20
BLACKTALON
Ammo is like food

I always push the front of the follower down look for a orangish brown follower
BLACKTALON is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot