Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #1
platekiller

TEOTWAWKI/SHTF question.

So I have been thinking about these situations lately and getting a little more prepared. It hit me that once I was out of contacts and my glasses broke I would be up a creek. So has anyone had LASIK or the like so it makes SHTF easier? I guess this is more about long term situations but I was thinking. Any thoughts?
platekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
OLM-Medic
Not Banned Yet

Have spare glasses for SHTF.

Income tax only exists so private bankers can make a steady profit off of your labor. Think about that.
OLM-Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #3
fivepointstar
Support IDF

i wear contacts but I have 2 pairs of glasses and my OLD OLD Pair of glasses to use.

I have daily wears but i can wear them extended so they will last

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."

I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4
smokey0118
2A TEACHER

i plan on just beating up nerds and dweebs and taking their glasses.

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #5
EL1227
MSI Executive Member

Fixed it for ya ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
i plan on just beating up the liberal/progressive nerds and dweebs and taking their glasses.
Us conservative boomers with age-related vision impairments would appreciate some slack ... he said while pushing his frames back onto his nose.

NRA Member
GOA Member
NAGR Member
SAF Member
MSRPA Member
JPFO Member
NSSF Member
TAKE BACK MARYLAND
MSI Executive Member
Utah CCW
MD Designated Collector
EL1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Boom Boom
you got no tattoo?

Polycarbonate lenses are cheap enough, especially if you order them online. Assuming your prescription doesn't change radically between now and TEOTWAWKI, invest in spare pairs of low-cost eyeglasses now and store them someplace safe. Polycarbonate goggles (the kind with the rubber strap that goes around your head) are cheap, too. I found that out when I purchased a pair for swimming.
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #7
Dogabutila

Send a message via AIM to Dogabutila Send a message via Skype™ to Dogabutila
You could have an unlimited supply of glasses, but not needing glasses would be better don't you think? What happens if you get punched in the face and they fall off. Got a spare set? Cool, but it isn't on your face.

"A patriot must always be prepared to protect his country from his government."

Μολών Λαβέ
Sine Metu
Dogabutila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #8
bryanjusmc
Celer Silens Mortalis

Send a message via Skype™ to bryanjusmc
I was nearsighted and had astigmatism. I had lasik done in 2005 and have not regretted it one day since. The procedure is very quick and easy and I can imagine they have made advancements since then. Most practices still have a free eligibility exam to my knowledge and if you would like a referral to the doctor I used I would be happy to pass along the information. IIRC my total price was around $2800-$3500 for both eyes and they had an in house financing program. I was 19 at the time and had essentially no credit and got a very low interest rate.. I don't even think they check your credit. I believe they just want to see that your working or have some kind of income.. My payments worked out to about $100/mo for 36mo. From time to time I still get mailings with coupons to give to people to refer them, usually something like $100-$200 off each eye if you have your procedure with them, I will look for some if you like the pass them along as well. If you have any questions about the procedure itself or anything else PM me.

bryanjusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #9
SamW

This is a very valid concern when looking at it from a long term persepective. If you can afford Lasik seems like it would be money well spent.
SamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #10
shortnfluffy(gummy'swife)

On the shtf topic, yes I have a spare pair of glasses been telling Gummy he should get some and thats just common sense for the everyday situation. I have only thought about lasix and gone no further than thinking. Yesterday at Walmart, it was bat poop crazy and all we are expecting is 1" of snow and this is a rural area, so I can imagine what a real TEOTWAWKI/SHTF scenario would be like and not so sure if anyone would ever truly be prepared for it. No matter what the real scenario would be there is always the crazy human factor to add in, even folks you'd trust.

I work for Walmart and during the whole welfare shopping week, bad weather expected or holiday nearing it is total lunacy so just think what it will be like come December of this year when people start thinking about the Mayan Calendar. All I can say is glad I work in the backroom and not the sales floor.

Oh and by the way I paid less for my two pairs of glasses at walmart optical without eye glass insurance than I did for one pair with insurance at Accurate Optical. Just saying...

The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Kipling
shortnfluffy(gummy'swife) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by platekiller View Post
So I have been thinking about these situations lately and getting a little more prepared. It hit me that once I was out of contacts and my glasses broke I would be up a creek. So has anyone had LASIK or the like so it makes SHTF easier? I guess this is more about long term situations but I was thinking. Any thoughts?
I had LASIK 14 years ago (1998) and I was 30 at the time, but not for a TEOTWAWKI reason... However it is the best thing I ever did for myself ($4,000 USC medical center). The difference was staggering (I couldn't see more than a few feet without my glasses) I was blessed with 20/10 vision following 2 surgeries (first one under-corrected me to 20/200) for reference, my vision was essentially 20/1600 without glasses.

In a TEOTWAWKI situation prior to LASIK without my glasses? I would have been in serious, serious trouble.

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #12
K31
You're Harshing My Mellow

You can't use Lasik to start a fire in an emergency.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

"The 'War on Poverty? Whose side are they on?" - Carl, caller to WMAL talk show
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
You can't use Lasik to start a fire in an emergency.
Yes, but at least I can find my matches.

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Full Chrome Jacket

Water for Elephants and Glasses

Saw a 60-minutes special on the U.N. passing out cheap glasses in East Africa. The lenses were filled with varying amounts of water. You may want to research this. Found this blurb:

Dr. Silver has devised a pair of glasses which rely on the principle that the fatter a lens the more powerful it becomes. Inside the device's tough plastic lenses are two clear circular sacs filled with fluid, each of which is connected to a small syringe attached to either arm of the spectacles.

The wearer adjusts a dial on the syringe to add or reduce amount of fluid in the membrane, thus changing the power of the lens. When the wearer is happy with the strength of each lens the membrane is sealed by twisting a small screw, and the syringes removed. The principle is so simple, the team has discovered, that with very little guidance people are perfectly capable of creating glasses to their own prescription.

Full article here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...es-josh-silver
Full Chrome Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #15
gamer_jim
Beer Czar

This is a great point, something I was thinking about a couple months ago. Not for glasses but about my health. I have chronic sinuitus and $8 a month of generic suedophedrin keeps me going. Without it I get sinus infections, need antibiotics or I am screwed. All the food, water and stockpiled ammo isnt going to help meet my need for a cheap generic drug I can get at walmart.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #16
knightofcydonia

Luckily I don't have to worry about this issue but my gf on the other hand does. LASIK is expensive and can have its risks, I've been looking into a few pairs of bomb proof quality glasses for her just for this type of situation. Your best option stock up on lenses and solution. If shtf outlasts your stuff, you've got bigger problems
knightofcydonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #17
knightofcydonia

Gamer look into some natural ways to fight the sinuses..try em out you may be surprised what you find...
knightofcydonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #18
gamer_jim
Beer Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofcydonia View Post
Gamer look into some natural ways to fight the sinuses..try em out you may be surprised what you find...
I tried the Nettipot, last time I felt it coming on. The next week I had the worse sinus infection Ive ever had. Could have been a coincidence but not willing to try it.

Afraid if I stockpile sudeophedrine the DEA will bust down my door.

Old February 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #19
K31
You're Harshing My Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
I tried the Nettipot, last time I felt it coming on. The next week I had the worse sinus infection Ive ever had. Could have been a coincidence but not willing to try it.
You're lucky.

http://blogs.webmd.com/breaking-news...neti-pots.html

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

"The 'War on Poverty? Whose side are they on?" - Carl, caller to WMAL talk show
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #20
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post

Afraid if I stockpile sudeophedrine the DEA will bust down my door.

Nettipot is nothing but a saline solution to keep your sinus clean. It helped me little. I gets sinus headaches a lot. If you have infection, you need real meds not the over the counter meds.

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety