Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland

Old June 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1
rickyp

myrtle grove today

My wife And I went to Myrtle grove this afternoon about 1600. We talked with dan for a while and started to shoot up some ammo I was trying to get rid of.

I had my 454 and 45-75 encore pistols with me.
It was a nice day, I couldnt beleave all the ar rifles down there.

Is there an ar club in maryland I dont know about? it seames like every time I go down there now I see several of them being shot, not all that long ago you hardly saw any of them it was mostly ak47 and sks.
rickyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #2
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

yeah... since last year.. atleast one or two will pull out an ar. more and more lately.

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Kromesoldier

i have had mine down there a few times. Gotta love the AR.
Kromesoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:38 AM   #4
SOMDSHOOT
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to SOMDSHOOT
It has been pretty quiet on the farm this past week. I totally forgot the range was even closed. I was walking across the field last night about 5:30PM heading back to my truck and thought, "MG sure has been quiet the past few days" and then it dawned on me, "Oh yeah I guess the range is closed"

Those baffles at the range make every shot that's fired sound like it's right on the farm. I can count how many times a man pulls the trigger on a .22 pistol. When no one has been shooting for a few days you tend to notice the peace and quiet in the evenings. The range is to the East of the farm and the baffles act like big echo chambers.

Now, if we can only get rid of airplanes and helicopters... Reagan Nationals southbound departure flightpath is directly, 100%, over the farm. Non-stop flights all day, everyday. The farm lines up with the southbound and northbound traffic with the Potomac River and the farm happens to be directly due-South of the rivers "main lane".

Don't get me wrong. I still feel the 2 week rule at the range is way outdated, but, when it's quiet over there you can not help but to notice after a few days.
SOMDSHOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Lennyo3034

They seem to be a popular first rifle. I had to teach more than one of them on how to use their sights.
Lennyo3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #6
rickyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyo3034 View Post
They seem to be a popular first rifle. I had to teach more than one of them on how to use their sights.

The next time you are down there you can show me how to adjust my sights
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM   #7
cyrano_oneone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyp View Post
The next time you are down there you can show me how to adjust my sights
I not sure if you are kidding here..but just in case you are not you will find a couple of youtube videos that are very good on demonstrating on sighting in an AR
cyrano_oneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #8
jmira
VA Rocks.

Send a message via AIM to jmira
I am probably going to head down to myrtle grove today ( 6/17 ) to verify zero and function check for Topton on Sunday.

~noon or so.
jmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #9
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmira View Post
I am probably going to head down to myrtle grove today ( 6/17 ) to verify zero and function check for Topton on Sunday.

~noon or so.
nice weather.. enjoy! (stuck at work).

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #10
rpker

I'd love to go but my sons school picnic calls...enjoy the weather

"...beneath this mask there is more than flesh, beneath this mask there is idea...and idea is bullet proof"

"One thing is true of all governments: the most reliable records are tax records."

-V-
rpker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #11
jmira
VA Rocks.

delayed! my stupid electronic safe lock wont open.... its just the battery, but shit! kind of annoyed.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #12
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
delayed! my stupid electronic safe lock wont open.... its just the battery, but shit! kind of annoyed.
hate when that happens..

i have small safe w/ electronic lock.. i make a habit of changing the battery at least once a month.

Thomas Jefferson
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #13
jmira
VA Rocks.

I licked the 9v, it still had juice =)

figured it was good for another month or so..
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #14
A. Wayne

Wink

Kids these days wouldn't understand "licked the 9v"
Quote:
I licked the 9v, it still had juice =)

figured it was good for another month or so..
A. Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Nemesis
Russian Grizzly Adams

i feel like a dying breed when i take the ak down there sometimes...ill look around and there will be 3-5 ARs, and then my lonely russian self with the kalash...i feel good though, most of them cannot shoot and my targets usually look better than theirs
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #16
SCARCQB
Get Opp my rawn, Plick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
i feel like a dying breed when i take the ak down there sometimes...ill look around and there will be 3-5 ARs, and then my lonely russian self with the kalash...i feel good though, most of them cannot shoot and my targets usually look better than theirs
Bayonet charge with a Mosin..... You cant do that with an AR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosin.jpg (67.9 KB, 3281 views)
File Type: jpg mosin1938.jpg (91.1 KB, 3280 views)

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM   #17
Nemesis
Russian Grizzly Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARCQB View Post
Bayonet charge with a Mosin..... You cant do that with an AR

thats pretty sweet lol. when i get this knife im making down i should go down there and set the target up just in front of the benches and practice my stab accuracy...only when the range is hot though, of course.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #18
SOMDSHOOT
Banned

My wife and I was there this morning at 8:30am sharp at the clay range. The first shot heard was me at the clay range. We shot until about 9:30 until some old dude and his little mexican/chinese buddy showed up and got set up right in our way like they owned the place.

I'm confident the rules state "one shooter at a time"?? He decided he wanted to set up on the left, since, we were throwing to the right, but, he squeezed his ass right up in the way.

Screw Myrtle Grove. I don't think they will be getting another $40.00 from us after the 31st. Tired of dealing with idiots down there, This is the 4th safety issue we've had down there this year.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:37 PM   #19
rickyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMDSHOOT View Post
My wife and I was there this morning at 8:30am sharp at the clay range. The first shot heard was me at the clay range. We shot until about 9:30 until some old dude and his little mexican/chinese buddy showed up and got set up right in our way like they owned the place.

I'm confident the rules state "one shooter at a time"?? He decided he wanted to set up on the left, since, we were throwing to the right, but, he squeezed his ass right up in the way.

Screw Myrtle Grove. I don't think they will be getting another $40.00 from us after the 31st. Tired of dealing with idiots down there, This is the 4th safety issue we've had down there this year.
Buddy, you had several choices at this point, you could have said somethign to the guy, ignore him and keep shooting or leave. It looks like you did the latter.

This is part of the issue people not pointing out things that are wrong. If It was me I would have said something to him and if he still didnt wait it would have been on from there. In a perfect world he would have asked to shoot with you and all have a good time
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:30 AM   #20
SOMDSHOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyp View Post
Buddy, you had several choices at this point, you could have said somethign to the guy, ignore him and keep shooting or leave. It looks like you did the latter.

This is part of the issue people not pointing out things that are wrong. If It was me I would have said something to him and if he still didnt wait it would have been on from there. In a perfect world he would have asked to shoot with you and all have a good time
WRONG RICKY. I did confront the guy right to his face when he come in there and threw his crap right in front of the table, right in our way, as to claim the next spot on the deck. He said something like "which direction are you throwing, and I'll set up on the other side" and I told him I was not comfortable with him and his buddy shooting beside us on the deck, and I told him we don't stay very long anyway when it's just her and I. I also explained to him that there is only one shooter permitted at a time as per the range rules, but, this old bastard decided to do what he felt, which pissed me and my wife off and we left.

I'm trying to concentrate on shooting clays and she looks at me like WTF? and then I notice the guy has grabbed his stuff and set his thrower up on my right side towards the gravel pit and him and pedro are ready to shoot, I mean bold, this old fella had a big set of nuts yesterday and I've never met anyone more impatient in my life, except for the 4 young military yahoos who came in and did the same thing. I assume they all have more right to be there then we did????? I don't think so. These fellas all but pushed us right back down the path, so, this being the 4th strike going to the clay range...

If this old guy and pedro had of come in there and not been so frigging bold, my wife and I are more than happy to share our clays, shells, and thrower, and we can all make it a group thing and maybe make some new friends, but, this fella obviously felt we were HIS way.

Here are the clay range rules from another thread on this fine forum:

TRAP RANGE:
1. Shooting is permitted at thrown clay targets only. Shooting at stationary targets is prohibited,
2. All shooting and target throwing must take place from behind the wooden timbers.
3. Shotguns with shot only are allowed. Shot sizes larger than T (.20") are prohibited. Slugs and Buckshot are prohibited.
4. Only one "party" of shooters permitted at any time on the range.
5. Possession of handguns or rifles on the trap range is prohibited.

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland

Tags
myrtle grove, range