• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    Does anyone know if there are regs/laws in MD and/or Carroll county, or Mt. Airy for building a private range in my home. My plan is to build a big detached garage in the next few years and put a basement underneith with a small handgun lane. Aside from neighbors complaints, which I don't forsee having any, Does anyone know of anything? Thanks for any input.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bad idea to put that label on it. It is an extended Man-Cave and would be an awesome place to have a "walk-in safe" (room). A 4 car garage with a huge man cave underneath would be the schitt!!

Build it...and they will come...(friends). You need a 100" projector screen TV and a beer fridge for afterwards. :innocent0

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I'm not a builder, but I'd check into the legality of building a basement under a garage. If it is even allowed by code, I'd bet there are special construction considerations to be made.
    Otherwise, that's an awesome idea.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    What are the laws for discharging a firearm in city/county limits where you live?
    I would be inclined myself to just build it, soundproof it, and ventilate it well w/o ever asking or saying a thing about it.
    I'm not saying you should ever break a law.
    I'm just saying I wouldn't ask so many questions and wouldn't talk about it after it was built.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I cannot find it in Maryland law, but I thought I had read that discharging a firearm inside the home was not legal. Seems absurd to regulate this, I know, and maybe I'm mistaken.

Regarding building a basement under a garage, easy deal. We've built basements under porches and basements under garages. You can build almost anything you want, including a two level basement...research "suspended slabs".

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    I am sure there will have to be special building aspects. The "Right way" to do it may actually be to have the "underground man-cave/safe-room/action only movie viewing room" off to the side of the garage with access from inside. As far as the legalities I think im ok but it needs further investigation. And of corse, all will be invited to break it in.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'm sure there would be a difference if the dwelling isn't occupied.

Wouldn't be shooting in a house, per se.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I am sure there will have to be special building aspects. The "Right way" to do it may actually be to have the "underground man-cave/safe-room/action only movie viewing room" off to the side of the garage with access from inside. As far as the legalities I think im ok but it needs further investigation. And of corse, all will be invited to break it in.

Looks like the thread is moving to the consensus that you need it to be full auto, silencer only. You need a 5 car garage... :party29:

Anything to help stimulate the economy...it is for the "greater good"...

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    Been thinking about dropping a sea container or two in the ground, not sure about all the features but fully welded and sealed than concrete around it some kind of ventilation and use something like a bomb shelter entrance.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I can't find it now, but I seem to recall several comments in the past that it was legal to build a basement range in Monkey County..??

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Check Carrol county regulations.
    It's allowed in MOCO -called a basement or cellar range.
    Google-moco weapons law summary.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I cannot find it in Maryland law, but I thought I had read that discharging a firearm inside the home was not legal. Seems absurd to regulate this, I know, and maybe I'm mistaken.

Regarding building a basement under a garage, easy deal. We've built basements under porches and basements under garages. You can build almost anything you want, including a two level basement...research "suspended slabs".

Ed, You come through again. I wold imagine the cost to build under a slab like that must be pretty high?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    A little info about Westminster, local Westminster officer told me it was illegal to discharge firearms within the city limit of westminster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom