• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I am left eye dominant but right handed. For handgun shooting this is not a big problem but for rifle shooting I was thinking about teaching myself to shoot left handed. Do you think starting out with a Ruger 10/22 is a good place to start? I have no experience with rifles and would eventually also like to get a shotgun.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    While I can't answer your question, I have interest in the responses as I just recently found out my wife is the same way. My oldest son (who has no interest in our hobby) learned he was left eye dominant many years ago in Cub Scouts. Wonder if it's a genetic thing?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Starting out with any .22 lr rifle would be a great way to start. A semi auto may be a little more of a challenge since you will have casings ejecting into your face or at a minimum your line of sight.

It is far easier to learn to do something with your left hand versus changing your dominate eye.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have the same issue and only shoot right handed with no issues . I just have to close my left eye when shooting a rifle , although with reddots it is not an issue I can still use my right eye with both open . I just worked through it over the years .

I can shoot left as well but prefer right .

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    My wife is the same way, she learned to shoot rifles left-handed and does rather well.

Can't really go wrong with the 10/22, the only real downside is that .22lr ammo is not as common as it used to be.

robertt822

Apr 10, 2013
    Laurel
    I am left eye dominant but right handed, have watched brass fly in front of my face years with semiautomatic rifles, just got used to it, was not a big deal until I fired a Tavor and the brass kept hitting me in the face. But best of all Stag makes a left handed AR-15 which I bought a few years ago, however you cannot with the new laws. And by the way I also have a 10/22 and have no issues with it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My son is the same way. He has learned to shoot well with a rifle with two eyes open ... With an eotech

that's what I have to do...Im left eye dominant but shoot right handed...I cant shoot left handed unless im just messing around and my grouping is not very good lol

Powerstroke

Oct 20, 2010
    Fallston
    Yeah I am exactly the same. I used to always shoot right handed and would have to turn my head all the way over to the right to see the sight with my left eye not even thinking that was wrong until I went to buy a bow, learning I was left eye dominant. I practiced shooting left handed with a pellet gun at first, it was awkward but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I am right eye dominant and left handed. I shoot right handed with long guns and ambi with hand guns.
    You pretty much need to follow your dominant eye especially with shotguns.

In your case Left handed guns will be a pain so if you can shoot right handed it will be cheaper.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I am left eye dominant but right handed. For handgun shooting this is not a big problem but for rifle shooting I was thinking about teaching myself to shoot left handed. Do you think starting out with a Ruger 10/22 is a good place to start? I have no experience with rifles and would eventually also like to get a shotgun.

Since you're just starting out with rifles, learning lefty would be ideal. Eye dominance plays a more critical role in long-gun shooting.

If at all possible, learn to shoot with both eyes open. This might be impossible for you to do right handed (using your weak eye) with a rifle or shotgun. Took Perrin's (Genesis Firearms) Utah CFP class this weekend - he emphasized this concept pretty heavily in his Fundamentals of Shooting section.

My 10/22s eject out about 90 degrees. Don't think you'd need to worry about brass in your face if you decided to go that route. Good Luck!

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Lefty here. Ruger's will eject burning powder on to your arm and face. Less face and more arm. A shirt can solve the arm, but don't even THINK of shooting that rifle left handed without eye protection.

I love my Rugers. But alas, I AM left handed and NOTHING I can do about that.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I also have a left handed AR. People laughed at me, but I thought it cool. After getting two right handed ARs I kinda agree with them now. But it is made for me and I still think that pretty cool. (Every ONCE in a blue moon I get some hot gassing off of them, but not enough to complain....) Lots of inquisitive looks. Something here is not quite right. :rolleyes:

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    OP, I'm the same as you, LED but right handed. I grew up shooting right handed and just learned to do it. I even made it through the Army and regularly scored Expert at qualification on most outings. The key is to keep both eyes open until just before you're ready to shoot, then close your left; at least that worked well for me.

Now, I actually practice shooting with both hands and both eyes. I don't compete for prizes, just for fun, but it's nice being able to switch up every now and then (and prepares you better for strange situations.)

Bottom line: everyone is different, find which way works for you and practice it. Then once you become proficient change things up a bit. It helps to keep you sharp and helps you remember the fundamentals.

C-130_MAC

May 3, 2013
    that's what I have to do...Im left eye dominant but shoot right handed...I cant shoot left handed unless im just messing around and my grouping is not very good lol

I am the same way - BUT after adding a green laser - It does not matter which eye I use (or where the firearm is for that matter -put the dot on target - pull)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am right eye dominant and left handed. I shoot right handed with long guns and ambi with hand guns.
    You pretty much need to follow your dominant eye especially with shotguns.

In your case Left handed guns will be a pain so if you can shoot right handed it will be cheaper.

I am lucky to shoot handguns ambi as well. Not sure if I shoot better one way or the other. With some rifles (with low riser combs) I can rock my face over the stock and use my left eye instead of using a riser to get the correct sight pic with right eye, (which in our case is inferior).

Maybe I should be using higher scope mounts on more of my rifles so I can do this with all of them

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I shoot long guns lefty....and thought I shot handguns righty. (I'm right handed)

My accuracy was suffering...so I switched to my left hand with handguns. Made all the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom