• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Designated Collector

The good folks at "The Gun Rack" told me to put 'personal collector' or something like that in the reason block, I forget now, sorry.

Call them they are very friendly, had the forms printed out there and encouraged me to do it many months ago. I just wasn't sure about having my name in the database, but after reading here, I guess I'm already in it for buying an AR lower.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    This 'Designated Collector" for Maryland, is that the same as a C&R?

What does that get me? Other than buying more than one regulated firearm at a time. Still have waiting period right?

Dave

No - C&R is a 03 FFL - Federal.

Designated Collector = state recognition of a special status.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    The good folks at "The Gun Rack" told me to put 'personal collector' or something like that in the reason block, I forget now, sorry.

Call them they are very friendly, had the forms printed out there and encouraged me to do it many months ago. I just wasn't sure about having my name in the database, but after reading here, I guess I'm already in it for buying an AR lower.

I always put the same thing:

All Lawful Purposes

On any and all forms related to firearms.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm

Big deal - I'm on a list. Just because I am doesn't mean a thing to me. If there is a list - wear your membership as a badge of Honor.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    MDCollector.jpg

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Mailed mine last week (Jan 21 or 22). Anyone know how long it takes to get approved? Will I get a card or something to present to gun stores?

Dave

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Mailed mine last week (Jan 21 or 22). Anyone know how long it takes to get approved? Will I get a card or something to present to gun stores?

Dave

I don't remember, but it wasn't long - less than 2 months IIRC.

No card or anything - just a letter. You are under no obligation to show anything to an FFL - of course some of them won't do a multiple transaction without proof of DC status.

Make a copy, have it shrunk and laminate it at Office Depot if you really need to have a copy.

I have mine filed away and have never taken it out of its file folder.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Hi Minuteman,

That's what my father-in-law told me when I tried to get him to do it with me. He thinks he is hiding in some way by not having his names on a given list.

I told him if you own just one gun that's registered to you that's all of the info they need if they ever wanted to talk to you about your guns.

Even if you own 20 hand guns and none of them are registered to you, they will find you quickly through the people you bought your guns from when the MSP talk to them as the last persons in the data base as owner on record of owning their guns. They will point their fingers right our way.

So unless you think your going to turn to a life of crime anytime soon, jump in with both feet and join the collectors list to get your buying power back.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I don't remember, but it wasn't long - less than 2 months IIRC.

No card or anything - just a letter. You are under no obligation to show anything to an FFL - of course some of them won't do a multiple transaction without proof of DC status.

Make a copy, have it shrunk and laminate it at Office Depot if you really need to have a copy.

I have mine filed away and have never taken it out of its file folder.

Your most likely right. When it comes to FFL's who knows what rules they will make up and try to pass them off as official procedure.

But even with the gun rush many of the FFL's have seen, none of them are getting rich because for most of them there is not allot of profit with each sale. Unless you deal with the hand full of the Maryland FFL's who like to sell at 10% over the MSRP. But even some of them have to charge that much because the distributors charge them close to MSRP because they don't move enough guns each year, so they have higher prices.

What I'm getting at is, if you walk into a FFL's today to buy 5 hand guns and told them your on the collectors list, I be willing to bet they will believe you and will not turn you away if you did not have anything to show them They NEED the money.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Dave

Hi Dave,

They are way backed up. Give it 3 weeks and then call. The Trooper working the app's right now is a nice guy and will try to get your mane in the DATA base while your on the phone. As soon as your in the DATA base, you a collector. That's what he did for me and he told me that if I did have any problem with a dealer just to have them call the MSP.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Hi Dave,

They are way backed up. Give it 3 weeks and then call. The Trooper working the app's right now is a nice guy and will try to get your mane in the DATA base while your on the phone. As soon as your in the DATA base, you a collector. That's what he did for me and he told me that if I did have any problem with a dealer just to have them call the MSP.

Cool thanks. I scan all my forms into my computer so I can print them out any time I want. No worries making an extra copy while original stays in the safe.

Do you happen to have the troopers number and name?

Thanks,

Dave

Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    It's probably going to take a lot longer than 3 weeks. I sent mine in August, got my letter in January. They are waaaay backed up. His name is Cpl. Cusimano and you can reach him through the main MSP Pikesville number. When they answer just ask for him by name. He can get you in the computer quick but you'll be waiting for that letter.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    I had read that as well in a fed law. I say so what. if your not breaking the law why should anyone care. It's not like if this was not a requirement, the ATF can't find out who owns what with just one phone call to the MSP.

Great - what law - statute and citation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom