• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Getting around the 30-day wait between regulated purchases is simple. Fill out, get notarized, and mail the Maryland Regulated Firearm Collector form to MDSP. You should get an approval letter back in two to four weeks.

:lol2: :sad20: :tap: Coming up on 8 weeks myself, which I understand is typical.

Never mind the law says that have to get back to us in 14 days...

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I put a down payment for the weapon, and they took info from my drivers license. I didn't know about any paperwork that was being filled out. I figured they was doing the check when they was taking all my info. When I came back with the safety cert I filled it out.

Yes it is Freds, but I am learning as I go on.

Fred's?! See if you can get your money back. Find someplace else.

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    Don't they have the ammo log as well. Truly going above and beyond what is required by law. Try keepshooting.com or All Pawn next time. You will get much better service and they will help guide you through the process. Freds got me once but never again. I think we all learned a lesson from them at one point in our life.

pingrr

Dec 7, 2011
    Getting around the 30-day wait between regulated purchases is simple. Fill out, get notarized, and mail the Maryland Regulated Firearm Collector form to MDSP. You should get an approval letter back in two to four weeks.
    http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=7BJZzDT7kt8=&tabid=561&mid=1395&forcedownload=true

Then you can purchase as many as you want as often as you want, with the standard 7-day waiting period before picking up each purchase.

It took me about 2 months to get my approval letter in.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    It took 10 weeks for the paperwork on my first handgun to comeback clean in 93, but I got my designated collectors letter inside a week when I sent that in.

I've used Ron's Bay Pro Shop and had speedy, quality service. Where is Fred's?

Middle of Waldorf, south side of Rt5

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It took 10 weeks for the paperwork on my first handgun to comeback clean in 93, but I got my designated collectors letter inside a week when I sent that in.

Middle of Waldorf, south side of Rt5

10 weeks?
    You're name isn't Charles Manson, is it?

Huckleberry43

Apr 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    It only took me 2 weeks from Ron's (in Dunkirk) to get my AR lower paperwork back. It was my first firearm purchase in Maryland, and they guided me through all of the hoops really easily. I was pretty upset to take the online course, but I figured, hey, since all of the criminals robbing convenience stores are taking the course (not to mention MUST have good reasons to carry concealed) I would just shut up and bear the course myself. Super helpful folks over there. Their firearms prices are a little steep and so is their ammo cost (I like to buy in bulk over the web). I paid 50 bucks for the lower transfer which wasn't bad though.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    And don't allow them to copy either your mil ID or DD-214. That will get you in hot water. DOD just recently came out with a reminder that copying Gov't ID's is illegal. I can't say for sure if it covers DD-214's but there is too much personal information on there for me to let anyone copy mine.

Good to know thanks!

http://ww2.dcmilitary.com/stories/081309/stripe_28227.shtml

If anyone happens to have the law I'd love to print it out. :)

Swoop

Say hello to my little...
    Mar 25, 2012
    MD
    http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=7BJZzDT7kt8=&tabid=561&mid=1395&forcedownload=true

Then you can purchase as many as you want as often as you want, with the standard 7-day waiting period before picking up each purchase.

Can you send a collector form before you ever purcahse a firearm in MD? Just curious since I want to purchase several firearms before the end of the year.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Can you send a collector form before you ever purcahse a firearm in MD? Just curious since I want to purchase several firearms before the end of the year.

In the past the MSP had been wrongfully denying designated collector applications if you haven't already purchased a regulated firearm.They weren't supposed to and were called on it. They started following the law after that and issuing the letters.
    Go ahead and apply and you can always call them to request that they process your application if it doesn't come through.Nothing in the law states that you need to have already purchased anything.

nquinto2

Apr 16, 2012
    SOMD
    That'll be an expensive lesson then.

FFL-wise, you can do much better than Fred's, still going to make a drive (since there isn't sh@t in Calvert Co.) - but it'll be less $ than Fred's.

New member here - wish I would have found this forum prior to purchasing through Fred's. Very expensive, had to special order gun due to being out of stock (10 days waiting so far when they told me less than a week) and they act as if you are bothering them if you inquire about anything. Should have went to Keepshooting.com as others have mentioned already.

Thanks to all for the tips about the Reg. Firearms Collector Application!! Got it filled out to get notarized.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Never been to a shop that filled out paperwork for me, other than writing down my driver's license, and certification numbers. In fact the first thing they asked for was DL, and online certification card. This shop seems completely incompetent if they didn't ask for this stuff as soon as you picked something out.

Two of the last three regulated firearms I purchased, the FFLs actually filled in the paperwork for me and all I had to do is sign and date. That's what I call good service. I just did paperwork on Friday and the FFL has me do it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Fred's is also notorious as one of a small number of stores which cooperate with the State Police's extra-legal rogue "ammo log" program. Do a search here on "ammo log".

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    I some how messed up the process of the purchase since I didn't show them my DD214 or the MD safety cert at the time of purchase. So with that said they didn't do the back ground check and today I will be stopping by to show them my cert. I will figure this out one way or another.

you didn't mess up, the sales guy did. he should look over everything after you fill it out.

Super helpful folks over there. Their firearms prices are a little steep and so is their ammo cost (I like to buy in bulk over the web). I paid 50 bucks for the lower transfer which wasn't bad though.

uh yes. yes it was bad $50 is f'n crazy, thats almost another lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom