• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I usually only wear a left glove. This is to prevent burning my left hand on hot AK gas tubes and to prevent stupid cuts on my hand when I rack certain competition pistols that I own. I have a fingerless glove for when I shoot shotgun, since the thumb section of most gloves get caught while I'm loading shells.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I have a pair of fingerless weight-lifting gloves that I wear to shoot my M1911, the thickness of the leather over the web of my thumb helps hold down the grip safety.

Spitfire22V

Jul 12, 2010
    Frederick
    Gloves give me the psychological edge from the impression that I'm a skilled shooter. ;)

In all seriousness, I wear them in cold weather, and in the heat, I suppose they would improve grip from sweaty palms and avoid potential burns from hot barrels. But part of it is that it just looks cool I guess. :)

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Only time I have worn gloves is when Im planning alot of shooting in of my scoped BFR 500 all afternoon. Even more so when Im testing out some 700gr loads. Just a little more protection for the hands.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    was on the range today and it was just 40 degrees. Wore a pair of these:

51xUpyrHo8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nicer then cutting your fingers on reloading those mags, setting up targets and cleaning up afterwards. They fit real snug and you lose little tactil feel.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I wear gloves to properly coordinate my range ensemble. Gloves must match your 5.11 tactical gear and empty plate carrier.

No seriously, only wear them when my hands are cold.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    When I shoot 124gr or greater with my G17, it is uncomfortable. Purchased a cheap pair of gloves from WalMart for when I shoot over 500 rounds per day, it is enjoyable.

Yes, I am an old puz, but enjoy comfortable shooting.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I've worn gloves when it's cold and once or twice to try it when shooting rifle. I did notice a little difference, but not much. I'll have to see if I still have the gloves in my range bag.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Certain true shooting glove have padding placed at the specific places where really heavy recoiling pistols impact on palms, 2nd knucles, web, etc generic work/ mechanic/ athletic gloves might or might not have padding in proper places. Helps to prevent pain bruises, and even eventual nerve damage >

P.A.S.T. initiated the concept, a cpl other companies make products that purport to be similar.

Other than that , for the above mentioned warmth, traction, protection from hot parts.

And don't forget the medical/ mechanic's latex/ nitrile gloves for cleaning.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    OK. I'm gonna ask another girl question, so brace yourself. Why do you wear shooting gloves? Is it to protect your hands from heat? Or, just to look "cool", like driving gloves? A girl's gotta know!:cool:

Since she isn't here I'll answer your "girl question" for my wife. She prefers to wear shooting gloves because her hands sweat. :o Additionally - and this is the really important part - due to her small hands or more particularly her long skinny fingers, most guns offer a challenge to keep a good grip on. Extended shooting sessions have even resulted in nasty blisters. The gloves protect from such things as well as improving grip... and yeah, they do look cool to!:cool:

One thing you should keep in mind if you haven't already discovered it the hard way. Low cut necklines are NOT compatable with auto pistols. :lol2:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I wear gloves when shooting for one of two reasons, it's cold and I want to keep my hands warm or the heat of the gun is starting to burn my hands. The latter is more when shooting the AR platform.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)

Nicer then cutting your fingers on reloading those mags, setting up targets and cleaning up afterwards. They fit real snug and you lose little tactil feel.

I have the same gloves. I typically only wear them when it's cold or when I take a tactical course and risk cutting up my hands...

Jamie

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I wear gloves because I'm paranoid from the exposure to lead at the range. I'm a little OCD, so... :cool:

It does make it difficult to hand load magazines. I use loading tools for most of my mags so it's not a big deal.

I have the same gloves. I typically only wear them when it's cold or when I take a tactical course and risk cutting up my hands...

Jamie

I use the same gloves, and I can honestly say, these gloves do nothing with regards to keeping your hands warm. At least not the original Mechanix gloves. I think they make a cold weather glove or ones with full leather...which would probably work better.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

How are they at keeping your hands warm in, say 30 degree weather? Looking for warm gloves for shooting trap and skeet.The Duluths I have are warm but too bulky.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    How are they at keeping your hands warm in, say 30 degree weather? Looking for warm gloves for shooting trap and skeet.The Duluths I have are warm but too bulky.

See my previous post (I edited it). They don't keep your hands warm...trust me, I was outside shooting today. Better than bare hands, but not by much. (I think the mesh on the backside of the glove is meant to breathe)

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)

30°? Not sure. But I've worn them down to the low 40°s, (the day began in the high 30°s) and my hands were very warm. Very comfortable when shooting clays...

Jamie

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island

I wear the same Mechanix's gloves pictured above for Carbine classes when I need to protect my hands from heat of the rifle and from things like stones when going prone quickly etc. They work great for those purposes. I will wear them if its chilly (read 40 degrees) for all shooting purposes. When it gets colder then that I use a pair winter golf gloves and they work great at keeping your hands warm. These would probably work for shooting trap/skeet in cold weather.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks, oupa. You really did answer my question. Thanks for the heads up on low sweaters. I can imagine that really hurting. I no longer wear shorts when my husband is welding firewalls either. It only takes one piece of hot slag in your shorts to teach that lesson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom