• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I know in the state of Maryland one is not permitted to sell, buy, transfer, or receive any weapon or magazine with a capacity exceeding 20 rounds (out side of .22lr tube magazines). However, possession of these magazines is not prohibited.

So my question is, if you have them, can you use them? Or is just the "holding onto them" a better idea.

-CR

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    How about if I take 2 of my Mac 10 30 round mags and cut them apart to join them into a 50 rounder. Is this manufacturing a HC mag? They were already HC's to start with.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    So wait. I can go to PA and purchase a 33 round magazine for the Glock 17, and use it here in Maryland. Or perhaps I bought a Beta or C mag for the AR-15, and I can use it here. That just doesn't sound legal. Is everyone sure this is okay with LEO and local ranges?

BTW the regulation for 10 round limit for handguns expired. 20 round limit is the current mandate.

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    So wait. I can go to PA and purchase a 33 round magazine for the Glock 17, and use it here in Maryland. Or perhaps I bought a Beta or C mag for the AR-15, and I can use it here. That just doesn't sound legal. Is everyone sure this is okay with LEO and local ranges?

BTW the regulation for 10 round limit for handguns expired. 20 round limit is the current mandate.

Yes, it is perfectly legal to purchase or take receipt of High Cap magazines outside of Maryland and bring them in to the state to own, use, store, etc.

The law only states that they can't be shipped or sold or someone receive them into their possession inside the state of Md.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Maryland is 20 max for Rifles, 10 max for Handguns!

It is 20+ for handguns and rifles both. Also it is detachable mags, so if you have a fixed mag over 20 rounds then it is allowed.

§ 4-305.
    (a) This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.
    You must be confusing the defunct fed AW ban with the MD ban. The AW ban said 10 rounds max for both handguns and rifles IIRC.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    How about if I take 2 of my Mac 10 30 round mags and cut them apart to join them into a 50 rounder. Is this manufacturing a HC mag? They were already HC's to start with.
    If you did this, then I am sure it either cannot be done while within the state, or if you made a fixed magaizine to the Mac 10, then it should be legal.

An idea of what a fixed mag is, it could be argued anything like the SKS fixed mag is an example of what qualifies where it takes some dissasembly or a tool to remove the mag.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Harrisburg farm complex gun show is a WONDERFUL place:innocent0

I don't really care for "hi-cap mags", they tend to be a bulky monstrosity, expensive, and a good way to overheat a weapon or break a mag latch, but standard cap mags are cheap, plentiful, and basically what the platform was made to handle, not the 10 or 20 rd reduced cap crap.

$12 for new 30rd AK mags, $15 for new black teflon 30 rd AR mags, and mags for just about anything else you could want, also a great place for those with C&Rs to pick up milsurps for much less than those in MD. There are usually posts about it when it comes around, it is worth the trip up 83, if nothing else to browse the selection.

I am curious how do belt feds factor into this? would loading a disintegrating link belt be considered manufacturing? To maintain legality would you have to take a pile of links, a loader, and a couple cases of ammo out of state, crank out a couple belts, and then bring them back home?

This is just another one of the stupd MD gun laws that serves no purpose other than to infuriate or criminalize decent people, like stopping for gas on the way home from the pistol range.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

I am curious how do belt feds factor into this? would loading a disintegrating link belt be considered manufacturing? To maintain legality would you have to take a pile of links, a loader, and a couple cases of ammo out of state, crank out a couple belts, and then bring them back home?

This is just another one of the stupd MD gun laws that serves no purpose other than to infuriate or criminalize decent people, like stopping for gas on the way home from the pistol range.

As I guess, belts are not magazines by any definition, but a box or bag to hold a belt that attaches to the side of a gun might be. But even the box to hold the belt may not be considered a detachable magazine because it does not have a spring, follower or other components that would normally qualify it for the definition of a "magazine".

I have absolutley nothing to base this on because I doubt anyone to date has ever been even charged with violating the mag law so therefore no precedents to go on.

I bet this is a good one to ask the MDSP or the Attorney General's office for an opinion.

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    If you think our laws are strange, in California the belts that were loaded and registered as high cap before their ban cannot be shot down below 10 rounds or it will not be considered high cap any more. If they were to load them back up, it is considered manufacturing a high capacity feeding device. Most of the guys out there put a dummy round in the belt to stop it before hitting the last 10 rounds.

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    If you did this, then I am sure it either cannot be done while within the state, or if you made a fixed magaizine to the Mac 10, then it should be legal.

An idea of what a fixed mag is, it could be argued anything like the SKS fixed mag is an example of what qualifies where it takes some dissasembly or a tool to remove the mag.

You'd never be able to load a fixed mag in a Mac.:eek: I could take a trip to a buddy's house in Pa since it's only a few minutes from the house. His tig welder would do a better job than my mig anyway.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You'd never be able to load a fixed mag in a Mac.:eek:

I remember people talking about a way around the CA or the fed AW high cap ban with AR15 pistols, they would weld the mag to the lower and the way they would reload was to disconnect the upper on the back, tip it up and then feed the mag with strippers or something like that.
    I am not totally sure, but I think the MAC 10 can work similarly. Also, it might be possible to remove the floorplate, the spring, the follower and leave the magazine body attached and load from the bottom while upside down and then reassemble if my theory is correct.

Of course this intellectual excercise is pointless when you can do this.....
    I could take a trip to a buddy's house in Pa since it's only a few minutes from the house. His tig welder would do a better job than my mig anyway.
    :)

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    I am not totally sure, but I think the MAC 10 can work similarly. Also, it might be possible to remove the floorplate, the spring, the follower and leave the magazine body attached and load from the bottom while upside down and then reassemble if my theory is correct.

Of course this intellectual excercise is pointless when you can do this.....:)

I guess that could work if you have strong enough thumbs:thumbsup:. Once you get to around 20-25 rounds in the mag, it get's very difficult to load the last few without the loading tool. I couldn't imagine trying to get up to 50 rounds in there since the tool wouldn't fit over the mag while it's permanently attached in the grip.

I'll most likely make a trip north as soon as I find a couple mags that I don't mind experimenting with.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Ok, question for you guys..

I found a Stag 5L 6.8mm in stock at a PA gun store near my parents.
    That gun far as I know only comes with a 25 rnd and 28 rnd mag

Easy answer is to ship the gun to a MD FFL dealer and the mags to my parents house.

BUT

Is it ILLEGAL for them to sell me the gun as a MD resident sinc I dont think the gun is mfrd with less than 25 rnd clips. There are 5 and 15 rnd 6.8mm clips but the gun iisnt manufactured and shipped with anything less than 25rnds

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom