Which Rimfire Lever Action do You Like Best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    The Henry, Marlin or the Mossberg Tactical Lever Action?

(Just kidding on the Mossberg-- it isn't even in the equation-- it is a gun that never should have been:sad20:)

Anybody have both the Marlin and the Henry??-- What do you think?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've fired both and own the Marlin. The Marlin is a full sized rifle in length and weight, it just FEELS like a more substantial weapon. I owned three lever rifles at one point, the 39 is the one I still have.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Haven't had the chance to shoot the Henry we have yet, but I love shooting my dad's Marlin 39! I will say, the Henry I'm not real impressed with. It was a gift from my grandfather to my dad, and has never been fired by either of them. Yet when I went to clean it, I discovered the rod that goes into the tube mag was cracked in several places bad enough that it had to be pulled out (gingerly I might add) with a pair of pliers...and the lever on it feels like it was made out of plastic.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I have a Henry Golden Boy and it's smooth and fun to shoot. I hear the Marlin 39a is the .22 lever to judge all others, but I've also read that the newer Marlins aren't what they used to be, so maybe something to look into.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I have seen a couple of the Henry's in 17 HMR, and seen them jam badly... Wasn't sure if it was the maker or the caliber, but one of the Henry Goldenboys I looked over had bad scratching on the brass PLATED receiver.... scratching all the way through the plating....

I haven't really seen too many of the Marlins, but know what fine rifles they make....

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I will say that I wouldn't trust any Marlin made by Remington, not yet anyway.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have Marlin I honestly cant remember if its a 39 or not but its a lever 22 with a 16" barrel it breaks down and goes in a lil case it came with . They dont make them anymore but its a great lil shooter and pack gun .Ill dig it out tomorrow and find out what model it is .

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    here it is . a Marlin 39tds . random online pick I didnt dig mine out .

Attachments

• images.jpg
      images.jpg
      5.3 KB · Views: 242

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I do apologize ,especially for this . They were only made for a few years and have become quite collectible and pricey .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273740298

Ya I know, I had the same issue with a Marlin 1894P snagged one for around $500 but it took some working thats for sure! Why do they always discontinue successful guns?

Barring that beauty Ill stick with my Ithaca hunt (most are singles, the tube guns are fairly hard to get).

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Ya I know, I had the same issue with a Marlin 1894P snagged one for around $500 but it took some working thats for sure! Why do they always discontinue successful guns?

My father bought it new in the late 80s early 90s for around $300 if I remember right . Ive got it now , it hasnt been fired much but when I did its a fun lil rifle .

And I agree they always stop making the good stuff they are great lil rifles .

Im still looking for a camp 45 . I missed one in the classifieds awhile back .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom