• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Smooth cylinder, smooth sides, ridiculous attachments... I want it! http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...750051_765744_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView_Y .

Kind of wish I could find one (locally) to actually poke at, but they seem pretty rare. I fired a friend's model 29 years ago and liked it.

... talk me out of it!

Anyone have any experience with S&W Performance Center revolvers?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I have some but none with that particular one. I do have a bunch of experience with 29/629 revolvers.
    The Vcomp looks like a whole lot of money for a gun with an internal lock and MIM parts.
    Whatcha thinking about using this gun for?

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just target shooting. I'd love to start IDPA or somesuch someday, but it isn't on the immediate horizon.

Do all vertical comps shave lead? I mostly reload plated or semi-jacketed (though, hard to find big-bore plated these days; but I've only just started looking for .44 bullet options).

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I think all comps shave lead...Better off using a jacketed bullet. I tried plated but eventually gave up and gave the remainder of my plated bullets away. By the time I had just enough crimp I wouldn't suffer bullet jump I had cut the plating and the bullets were separating and keyholeing.
    I load a lot of Hornady XTPs for mine which I can usually buy for $20-21.00 per hundred.
    I shoot more hardcast than anything using a Penn or Dardas bullet which cost a little over $100 for 1k.
    Here are some posts from the S&W forum which after reading would turn me away from that revolver.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/search...iodb9lchnk&cof=FORID:9&q=629+v+comp&sa=Go#717

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    It does sound like some people had problems. Somewhat convincing. I really do want to get a .44 pistol at some point, in the 5" or smaller barrel range.

Ruger Redhawk, S&W 629, or Dan Wesson 744 (I wonder if they'll start producing new ones next year...)?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Experience with other PC guns. Like them , but are pricey.
    I DO like and recomend the M629 in the 5in heavy bbl format. For the price difference easily cover an action job if needed/ desired.

Not to say a 5.5in Redhawk would'nt work also.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I've got a couple of the 4 inch guns. You can find some good deals on quality used guns if you look. I would look for the older 29/629s and see what's out there.
    The Redhawk is a nice 4 inch but unless you get the larger Super Redhawk the trigger isn't much and you're limited on what you can do w/o spending a bunch of money.
    IMHO here's a much nicer gun much cheaper...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222572821

Pinned and recessed early model 629 with real forged parts and the firing pin where it should be. This is one you can use in IDPA as well as for basic packing when you are off the beaten path.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , with M29s and M629s the "durability upgrade package". Added circa early '90s did go a long ways to help then hold up to comparitily heavier loads. Kind of a narrow wiindow of prefered vintage top get them with the durability upgrades , but still with hammer mounted firing pin, square butts, and no lock.

The Redhawk is carryable , kind of comprable to N Frames. The totally different internally Super Redhawks are what they are , but are pretty much pure hunting/ range guns. ( Insert prefered punch line about either slings, trailer, or tripods). I mean they are BIG, and hefty.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    1990 Smith started the Endurance Package in all of their .44s. If you have a revolver w/o the package Smith will upgrade your revolver with the package for $50.00.
    I have a 29-2 and a 629-2 Mountain Revolver neither of which with the package but that doesn't bother me a bit. A 4 inch gun is a bit rough with full house loads any way you look at it so I reserve those guns for shooting lighter loads. My light loads push a 240gr bullet at either 1100fps or 1180fps depending on the load. Those bullets at that speed will handle just about anything I may come across and I can shoot them all day long w/o pounding me or the guns at all.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    So, if I find any used 629s, which revisions are the good ones? I can't seem to find very much info on that via google at all,and S&Ws website is not very good. Not even sure what the current 629 revision is. Doesn't seem to say; assuming it is -6 based on things I have managed to find.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    If I were to buy one it would be a -4 or older. I believe those were the last ones before they changed the firing pin and started with the MIM parts.
    Now don't get me wrong on this, they are all good, just different. I am a fan of the older models when they were still using forged parts and the quality and craftsmanship was better. The only one I absolutely would not own would be one of the new models with the lock in it. There have been a few cases of the locks engaging on some of the large bore guns under recoil. There is a bunch of good information over at http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php.

LeadPumper

Jul 20, 2008
    My S&W PC 629-5

SW629-5.jpg

First version (IIRC) to move the firing pin off the hammer. Pre-lock model. My favorite range .44. The front 'comp' (not V-comp) unscrews and can be replaced with a non-comped shroud for when you want lead or plated bullets.

Can go from mild to wild (especially if you reload). Action is tuned and trigger is sweet.

I have a well documented weakness for S&W PC guns...

Shop around and find an older model- you'll be happyier.

-Jeff

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks for the replies. You've all given me much to think about. I guess I'll be on the lookout for a used 629. ... possibly still a PC-Comp one, that looks really nice LeadPumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom