• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Hi Folks,
    Is an AR-10 in 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester always a regulated weapon?
    Or, is there an HBAR version such as there is for an AR-15 that is effectively Cash and Carry.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hi Folks,
    Is an AR-10 in 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester always a regulated weapon?
    Or, is there an HBAR version such as there is for an AR-15 that is effectively Cash and Carry.

The AR-10 is NOT an AR-15, parts do not interchange in general and thus it is not a clone, nor is it regulated.

That said, good f'ing luck finding an MD dealer who will transfer the AR-10 as not regulated.

Before people start telling me it's regulated, remember these important points.

1. Bolt, Carrier, Lower, Upper, Barrel, and other parts do not interchange. The few parts that might interchange are inconsequential.
    2. There is no such thing as a lightweight AR-10 barrel.
    3. AR-15's never (EVER) came in .308 or 7.62x51 caliber.
    4. There is no prohibition on the action (like the AK) but only on SPECIFIC models... AR-15 != AR-10, they are different.

Mark

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Both AR 10s that I bought were regulated. One is a DPMS AP4 with 16" barrel and the other is a DPMS LR 308 with 24" stainless fluted bull barrel. You would think the 24 would be a "heavy barrel" but law makers don't see it that way.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Both AR 10s that I bought were regulated. One is a DPMS AP4 with 16" barrel and the other is a DPMS LR 308 with 24" stainless fluted bull barrel. You would think the 24 would be a "heavy barrel" but law makers don't see it that way.

Let me correct this post for you:
    Both AR 10s that I bought were transfered as regulated. One is a DPMS AP4 with 16" barrel and the other is a DPMS LR 308 with 24" stainless fluted bull barrel. You would think the 24 would be a transfered as "heavy barrel" but my FFL don't see it that way.

JDBoss

Quiet Professional
    Nov 8, 2010
    Florida
    Since we are on the subject of AR-10s... I have an early AR-10T (bought it new in 1995), and recently had Armalite upgrade it to their Gen II spec (for improved reliability). Of course this requires use of their GenII magazines... Needless to say, I now have several Armalite GenI mags for which I have no use. PM me if interested.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Let me correct this post for you:

No I still stand behind MD lawmakers do not see it as a non regulated rifle. An HBAR only refers to the AR 15 which an AR 10 is not and has been stated why above therefore it would not fall under the same guidelines. Just FYI the law also stats that only a Colt HBAR and "it's" variants can be transferred as a non regulated rifle. I know of a shop in Baltimore County that will not under no circumstance transfer any non Colt HBAR cash and carry because that is how they interpret the law. Does "it's" mean Colt or any other AR 15 I guess we will never know..

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Just recently there was a letter stating that 22 AR clones are not regulated because they are not interchangeable with an AR-15 in 223. You cannot use the 22 lower to put a 223 upper on it, no buffer tube.
    So using the same LOGIC (I now that does not exist in Maryland Law) a 308 lower is not interchangeable with a 223 lower. So it too is not a direct clone and should not be regulated.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Just recently there was a letter stating that 22 AR clones are not regulated because they are not interchangeable with an AR-15 in 223. You cannot use the 22 lower to put a 223 upper on it, no buffer tube.
    So using the same LOGIC (I now that does not exist in Maryland Law) a 308 lower is not interchangeable with a 223 lower. So it too is not a direct clone and should not be regulated.

Very true, and pretending that they are interchangeable is insanity. The fact that the residents of this state comply to laws that don't exist says a lot about the way lawmakers have influenced our minds. I find this to be incredibly bothersome.

Tyranny sucks.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    No I still stand behind MD lawmakers do not see it as a non regulated rifle. An HBAR only refers to the AR 15 which an AR 10 is not and has been stated why above therefore it would not fall under the same guidelines. Just FYI the law also stats that only a Colt HBAR and "it's" variants can be transferred as a non regulated rifle. I know of a shop in Baltimore County that will not under no circumstance transfer any non Colt HBAR cash and carry because that is how they interpret the law. Does "it's" mean Colt or any other AR 15 I guess we will never know..

Rick's Gun and Pawn in Cecil County told me that only the Colt can be sold as cash and carry. I guess they missed the HBAR memo MSP sent out many years ago.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The AR-10 is NOT an AR-15, parts do not interchange in general and thus it is not a clone, nor is it regulated.

That said, good f'ing luck finding an MD dealer who will transfer the AR-10 as not regulated.

Before people start telling me it's regulated, remember these important points.

1. Bolt, Carrier, Lower, Upper, Barrel, and other parts do not interchange. The few parts that might interchange are inconsequential.
    2. There is no such thing as a lightweight AR-10 barrel.
    3. AR-15's never (EVER) came in .308 or 7.62x51 caliber.
    4. There is no prohibition on the action (like the AK) but only on SPECIFIC models... AR-15 != AR-10, they are different.

Mark
    Thanks Mark.
    Yet an M1A in 7.62x51 is regulated.Right?

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Rick's Gun and Pawn in Cecil County told me that only the Colt can be sold as cash and carry. I guess they missed the HBAR memo MSP sent out many years ago.

They didn't miss the memo is just how they read the law..

It's sucks, but if it makes them feel like they aren't breaking the law then that's what they are gonna do.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    They didn't miss the memo is just how they read the law..

It's sucks, but if it makes them feel like they aren't breaking the law then that's what they are gonna do.

While I disagree, I totally respect their decision to do so. It's their business, and they are free to run it as they see fit. I'm sure they look at it from the perspective of never knowing what the goons in Annapolis are going to do next.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland

Mark

Check with Gun Connection. They told me last Saturday that AR-10's weren't reguated. They're an outstanding shop and worth a call. BTW, they're at the SHOT Show this week.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    To the best of my knowledge there is nothing made in reference to the AR10 in .308/7.62NATO on the MD "assault weapon" list. This would lead me to believe it is non-regulated. I have sold a few AR10's in the past as non-reg.

Approximately one year ago there had been a big stink amongst some dealers come up about AR15 HBAR's not manufactured by Colt being regulated or non-regulated. After going through the appropiate channels I turned over the findings to the MLFDA. Long story short; if the AR15 (set aside NFA) regardless of manufacturer, is in a bona fide HBAR configuration, it is non-regulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom