• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    So several months ago I took my wife and sister out shooting, and my sister who was not really interested has taken a serious interest in it. My wife has always grown up around guns, and been comfortable with them, but never really shot them. They were both out shooting my AR15 (5.7x28mm upper) and 9mm Sig:D.

So as it turns out my sister loves it!:party29: She's not asked me several times about getting a rifle like mine and getting into shooting. I told her I'd have no problem helping her build one (Fun for me!), but suggested that she take a class to get more comfortable before she goes out and purchases a firearm and starts shooting. She was happy to know there were some clases she could take to gain a familiarity before going full tilt into things.

So my question, she's in the White Marsh area, so I was thinking of directing her to Freestate (read a lot of good things about them on here). Where do you all recommend? I figured an NRA Basic Rife/Firearm glass would be good, but I am open to suggestion. Also what can she expect to spend? I know the guys at Gun Connection have expressed that they do some personal one on one training as well. I wanted to see what you all suggested?

Also, as a bonus, my mom, who used to look at guns like plague invested water, is interested in taking the class with her. Thanks for all the help.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    freestate offers a veriaty of classes including basic safety nra courses. they are great to deal with and are patient with beginner shooters. i would give them a call and find out the schedule of there classes and how much they cost.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I am pretty sure they are planning to have some women only classes which may help make the experience a little less intimidating.

TaxMan

Jul 2, 2011
    Free State Gun Range is your answer. I took " Doctor Bob's " advanced
    training class last year. I was numb from the knowledge that guy has.
    From basic training to Olympic level they are the only place in MD that
    I have ever heard of. As a caution, I would be careful of who you get
    advice from. In my experience, only Ed Shell and Doctor Bob have a
    intensive background in competition shooting. They communicate well with
    people - and you will learn ALOT from such teachers. For prices and times
    I guess you should call FreeState to book a class.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Don't forget about the Women On Target clinics at the AGC that Monumental offers!

Also Patty West (pskryja) offers NRA Basic Pistol/F.I.R.S.T Steps Pistol and NRA Basic Rifle/F.I.R.S.T. Steps Women Only classes out at the AGC as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom