• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    I completed my first build this weekend. It was definitely fun, and my parts seemed to be within spec, because I didn't have any problems.

I went with a Palmetto State Armory stripped lower:
    15g8cnt.jpg

and a CMMG parts kit:
    15y6q6d.jpg

5lumvp.jpg

15xs2mu.jpg

Based on the instructions given at AR-15.com, I began the build.
    1. Magazine catch and button:
    2irly6d.jpg

6ezmzd.jpg

2. Magpul trigger guard:
    15g8cnt.jpg

3. Bolt catch:
    i4kc2s.jpg

4. Takedown pin (blurry):
    30xbski.jpg

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Looks good..i just want to say however that ars are like the only gun that you can have a whole thread about half a gun...lol

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looks good..i just want to say however that ars are like the only gun that you can have a whole thread about half a gun...lol

Hater... :lol2:

You could do a whole thread about half an AK, but I think you'd need more martini's Nem. :D

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    The CMMG parts kit is pretty neat. Color coded parts bags and a box cover showing where everything goes. Do they all come like that?

Looks like a good set up to recommend for all first time builders.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    Thanks for all of the replies. I'll answer the questions in order:

The upper is going to be this one:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-upperpper.html
    The options that I selected are a black Magpul handguard, charging handle with tactical release latch, and I bought a MBUS gen 2 separately.I am going to use a nickel boron BCG from WMD: https://www.primaryarms.com/WMD_Guns_NiB_X_NiBH_X_Complete_Bolt_Carrier_Group_p/nibxbcg-0002.htm

I really liked the CMMG parts kit, and I bought it because of the recommendation from the build thread here in the rifle forum. I like the look of the Magpul trigger guard, though, so I substituted that one, and I used the plated hammer from the BCG package that I bought. I have to say that I really love the trigger, too. I don't have much experience at all with rifles, but I love how the trigger has nearly zero takeup and breaks very cleanly.

I wish I could have made this into a full build thread, but I don't have the upper from PSA yet. When I get it, I'll update this thread with pictures and I'll also show the nickel boron BCG installation.

Experience won't let me say how this build would be for beginners vs any of the others, but it really was great. I am super excited to shoot my first AR!

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    The enhanced LPk from spikes it all thrown in a tiny bag everything everywhere.
    It doesn't come packed nice like that at all.
    You'd think for an almost $200 LPK you'd get decent packaging...

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I bought the "Classic LPK" from PSA when I bought my upper.....its all in 2 bags, nothing labeled like that.

Next LPK I buy will probably be CMMG, based on your photos.

Steve973

Enthusiast
    Feb 7, 2012
    Howard County
    I have been very fortunate to have several great resources to guide me through my first build. My friend pointed me to PSA and I think they are great. Apone's thread in this forum pointed me to the CMMG kit, and he also pointed me to mid-length gas systems. I think my first AR is going to be great as a result of all of this help.

Hopefully a bunch of us can meet up at Marriottsville when I finally get to shoot this thing!

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Definitely a nice touch by CMMG with their parts kit. It should be pretty obvious what every part is, but some of them can get a little confusing if one is unfamiliar with the platform.

I might have to start recommending these to friends looking to build their first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom