• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadsen Flag

Nov 15, 2011
    Hi all, I'm new here and just had a question. I'm not from MD, but am going to my girlfriend's house in St. Mary's County for thanksgiving. Her house is on a couple acres and was i hoping to shoot my 9mm a little bit. My question is, is this legal what are the laws like for shooting on your property?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    How are you going to transport it legally is the better question?

Hint: You need to find a legal reason in section 4-203 to transport a handgun.

Learn how to say, "I am on my way to an informal shooting practice."

Just saying, "I am going to my girlfriends house" will get you arrested if you get stopped.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    having couple of acres doesnt mean anything.. check/ask whats the surrounding neighborhood (how far from adjoining houses/buildings etc.)

being in southern maryland its relax somewhat.. just depending on the neighborhood and local laws.

Gadsen Flag

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks for the replies so far. the neighborhood is fairly residential but her land goes back pretty far (I'm sure I could easily get 150 yards from the nearest house).

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I was having this conversation the other day with someone. He didn't think you could target practice on private land at all. Since you're not allowed to hunt with a rifle in St. Mary's, he thought you couldn't target practice either. Is there a place to find out local laws regarding this for St. Mary's?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I was having this conversation the other day with someone. He didn't think you could target practice on private land at all. Since you're not allowed to hunt with a rifle in St. Mary's, he thought you couldn't target practice either. Is there a place to find out local laws regarding this for St. Mary's?

Check some of the links in this thread.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59964

You can target practice, but you have to be safety conscious (shoot into a dirt pile, woods don't count).

Also make sure you are neighborly, and talk with the neighbors before-hand. If they are in ear shot, the last thing you want is someone calling the Sheriff about a man with a gun.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Saint Marys County Code:

Ch. 317 of 1985, adding § 268C to Article 27 of the Annotated Code, provided that in St. Mary's County a person may not engage in target practice with or discharge a gun or weapon on certain lands without first obtaining written permission of specific individuals; provided that violation of said Act is a misdemeanor; and provided certain penalties on conviction of a violation of said Act.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=14466&stateID=20&statename=Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom