• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steampunk

Oct 11, 2008
    IAC HAWK Mag Extension Install

Thought I would just do a quick write up since I just finished this. Custom 2 round mag extensions are available from max100 who has posted here and other places about his Hawk endeavors. His contact info is
    ==GUN CONNECTION==
    GunConnect@prtcnet.com
    7103 HWY 101 N
    GRAY COURT SC 29645

He answers emails very quickly, ships fast, makes a nice product and is glad to help. I am very pleased with his customer service.

So here's what you get:
    3356985821_b11f8f5cc3.jpg

Mag tube extension, follower and spring.

Here's the difference:
    3356985379_1efb67c528.jpg

It's pretty straight forward, you need the following tools:
    A Drill, a 3/16 drill bit, oil, sand paper or a Dremel with sander bit, flat tip screw driver, electrical tape, some rags and a wire coat hanger.

The Hawk takes down like an 870 and the instructions are in the manual. Unscrew the magazine cap, put the bolt at half open and jiggle the barrel until it slides loose being careful not to scratch the mag tube when sliding the lug off. In the mag tube there is a plastic cap that is being held in by the little indents that we will be getting rid of. It has a slot at the end. Use a flat tip screw driver to turn it while keeping pressure on it or the spring will fly out and scare you. Pull this cap out and the spring and shake the shotgun upside down until the follower on the receiver side falls out.

Secure the gun to your bench or table and stuff a rag in the receiver end of the mag tube to keep any stray metal shavings out from the drilling. I clamped the stock and supported the front of the gun with a folded up bath towel. I put tape on the mag tube threads and on the other side of the indents so not to scratch anything up.
    3356982925_74475bf0f4.jpg

3356982423_9c89b7cfca.jpg

Put some oil on the indent to help with drilling and to keep shavings from flying everywhere. I also put some tape on my drill bit to keep it from going to deep once it made it through. Try to keep it straight and start drilling. It drills very easily and almost no pressure is needed. This will also keep you from going too far once you pop through as well.
    Then you have this
    3356983397_1ecd21c379.jpg

yes that was the bad side I was a little off, but not to worry the entire area is covered by the barrel lug. Once you do one side flip the gun over and do the other side. Now take your Dremel or sand paper and smooth out the inside of the magazine tube. I can imagine that this could be a bit tedious with sandpaper. I have a Dremel and sanded and polished it smooth as glass. Just make sure your new follower slides in the tube without hanging up on any burs, and is nice and smooth. Now you're almost finished and you just need to clean up the magazine tube to get any shavings and dust out. I used a liberal amount of oil and a rag and pushed it through the tube with a coat hanger until it came out clean. Now drop in your new follower, put the new spring in and reinstall the barrel in the reverse you took it off. Now screw on your new extension tube to hold everything in place and you are done!
    3357801202_27c187b77d.jpg

3357802120_e7bea8e22a.jpg

With the high vis follower that max100 includes the Hawk will now take 6+1 shells. With a metal follower it will take 7+1 2 3/4 inch shells. Thanks, to max100 for the email help and Dan at Gun Connection here for the great service when purchasing the Hawk. Now what to put on it next :)

Last edited:

MAX100

Aug 2, 2008
    steampunk

Good job and good writeup. The tube extension looks nice installed.

With standard 2 3/4" shells you should be able to get 7 in the tube with the solid end follower. The spring maybe a little long. You can trim a few coils off but I wouldn't trim it under 25" and shape the end. Some shells are a little longer than standard and you will only be able to get 6 in the tube with them. Open end metal followers allow the most room in a shotgun mag tube and you will be able to get 7 in the tube with all 2 3/4" shells but ones that are rolled crimped like Wolf.

A good low cost upgrade that can be done too the 982 is to replace the two flat head slot screws that hold the rear ghost ring sight on with socket head screws. Also replace the elevation set screw with a socket set screw. The size is M4 and they are sold at most hardware stores for 50 cent each. They look and hold better. Get the right length set screw but you will have to get the socket head screws longer and size them with a grinder or dremel. Pull the trigger group and you can see how far they protrude into the receiver and shorten them accordingly. Don't over tighten them.

GC

steampunk

Oct 11, 2008
    Thanks again for your quick replies to my email questions and tips. The 7th shell just barely won't go in, and I'll be picking up and aluminum follower which will remedy that.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Thanks again for your quick replies to my email questions and tips. The 7th shell just barely won't go in, and I'll be picking up and aluminum follower which will remedy that.

Hey Steampunk, I had the same problem with the 7th shell not going in. Turns out the problem was not with the extension or spring, it was simply that the shells were longer than standard. If you are using shells where it is rolled at the end, they come out just a bit longer than standard pressed shells.

What ammo are you using. Get a ruller and measure it end to end. If you measure a few different types of shells you'll see that not all 2 3/4" shells are the same length. I suspect you may have the longer ones. Once I switched over to standard pressed 2 3/4" rounds I had no problem.

Hope this helps - it will save you a lot of grief if this is the cause. Good luck!

steampunk

Oct 11, 2008
    mag extension was 67 including shipping, not sure about the the clamp, but it looks like the streamlight clamp.

netspec

Sep 30, 2008
    Randallstown, MD
    steampunk

A good low cost upgrade that can be done too the 982 is to replace the two flat head slot screws that hold the rear ghost ring sight on with socket head screws. Also replace the elevation set screw with a socket set screw. The size is M4 and they are sold at most hardware stores for 50 cent each. They look and hold better. Get the right length set screw but you will have to get the socket head screws longer and size them with a grinder or dremel. Pull the trigger group and you can see how far they protrude into the receiver and shorten them accordingly. Don't over tighten them.

GC

I've replaced the screws on my 982. Makes a world of difference!

MAX100

Aug 2, 2008
    Something a little different. Here is one of my Norinco made shotguns, the H&R NEF Pardner Protector. Same shotgun as the 982 with a different style receiver. The recoil is very light with the pistol grip stock and muzzle brake. It's a joy to shoot.

SpeedFeed LE Stock
    Hogue Forend
    Vang safety
    John Masen HS
    Ceramic non rust finish
    King Armory Breacher Brake
    GC 7+1 Mag Extension
    Hi Viz Spark II sight

PARDNERTac-2.jpg

GC

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts