• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Does this "crime" sound like it's worthy of being locked up and denied bail? And since when does owning 12 handguns constitue "hoarding guns"? Sounds like the guy lit off some fireworks and is now rotting in jail...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_county/bal-boom0430,0,6951757.story

Pikesville man accused of hoarding guns, pyrotechnics

A Pikesville condo resident charged with hoarding pyrotechnics and guns after neighbors complained about loud noises and flashes in the middle of the night was ordered held without bail today by a Baltimore County District Court judge who said he is worried about the suspect "blowing up the neighborhood."

The bail for Frederick Lee Mackler, 59, had been set at $1 million, but Judge Norman R. Stone III revoked it during a hearing yesterday in the Towson courthouse. The judge noted that police reported finding 12 handguns, an Uzi submachine gun and fireworks in his apartment in the Stevenson Commons Condominiums.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Just makes me wonder what he really did, vice the media focus on the evil guns and explosives. You never hear the whole truth

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    i saw the report on television...seemed pretty slanted against him to try to make him sound as bad as possible noting that he was a "convicted criminal with a prior battery charge"...or he got in a fight at a bar once. Not sure about this one, need more info...okay fireworks are illegal but how many people have some at their place possibly even now this far away from july 4th? i dont get what the big deal is here besides he just pissed his neighbors off by setting them off all the time.

"Mackler has been charged with 10 counts, including disturbing the peace, reckless endangerment, possession of fireworks without a permit, possession of marijuana and possession of firearms."

didnt know possession of firearms was a crime. maybee it's a big deal because he's a felon and isnt supposed to have emm? i dunno. it di piss me off that watching wbal news yesterday around 6 o'clock they had about 6 gun-related crime stories in a row....5 of them were from crimes from 2003, 2004...from 2000..it looks like the news is drumming up gun issues a lot lately getting ready for the elections

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    I think the real problems was that he had drugs (enough to constitute trafficking/distribution). Drugs + Guns + Explosives = Jail Time.

Information
    Court System: DISTRICT COURT FOR BALTIMORE COUNTY - CRIMINAL SYSTEM
    Case Number: 3C00281515Tracking No:020005550202
    Case Type: CRIMINAL
    District Code: 08Location Code:04
    Document Type: STATEMENT OF CHARGESIssued Date:04/29/2008
    Case Status: ACTIVE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Defendant Information
    Defendant Name: MACKLER, FREDERICK LEE
    Race: WHITE, CAUCASIAN, ASIATIC INDIAN, ARAB
    Sex: MHeight:509Weight:195DOB:03/03/1949

Address: 8002 BRYNMOR COURT #406
    City: PIKESVILLEState:MDZip Code:21208 - 0000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charge and Disposition Information

(Each Charge is listed separately. The disposition is listed below the Charge)

Charge No: 001DescriptionISTURB PEACE - LOUD NOISE
    Statute: CR.10.201.(c)(5)DescriptionISTURB PEACE - LOUD NOISE
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:2 0065MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X
    Incident Date From: 04/28/2008 To: 04/28/2008 Victim Age:

Charge No: 002Description:RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT
    Statute: CR.3.204.(a)(1)Description:RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 1425MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 003Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
    Statute: PS.10.104.(a)(1)Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0016MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X
    Incident Date From: 04/24/2008 To: 04/24/2008 Victim Age:

Charge No: 004Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
    Statute: PS.10.104.(a)(2)Description:FIREWORKS POSS. W/O PERMIT
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0021MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 005Description:CDS: POSS W/INTENT DIST: NARC
    Statute: CR.5.602.(2)Description:CDS: POSS W/INTENT DIST: NARC
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:3 0233MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 006Description:CDS: POSS PARAPHERNALIA
    Statute: CR.5.619.(c)(1)Description:CDS: POSS PARAPHERNALIA
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:5 3550MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 007DescriptionANGEROUS WEAPON-CONCEAL
    Statute: CR.4.101.(c)(1)DescriptionANGEROUS WEAPON-CONCEAL
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 5202MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 008Description:FIREARM/DRUG TRAF CRIME
    Statute: CR.5.621.(b)(1)Description:FIREARM/DRUG TRAF CRIME
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0493MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 009Description:CDS: POSSESSION-MARIHUANA
    Statute: CR.5.601.(a)(1)Description:CDS: POSSESSION-MARIHUANA
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0573MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Charge No: 010Description:CDS: POSSESS-NOT MARIHUANA
    Statute: CR.5.601.(a)(1)Description:CDS: POSSESS-NOT MARIHUANA
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:4 3550MO/PLL: Probable Cause:X

Related Person Information

Also, doing a search, it looks like in 1992 he was charged with 2 counts of battery and given 1 year probation.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    supposedly he was firing 6" class B mortars, not some innocent little bottle rockets, there might be something the judge knows and we don't, these days the paper is expected to take a dig at guns reguardless of circumstances or facts.

Last edited:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    But of course in spite of the class B mortars, and in spite of the drugs, the Slumpaper decides to focus completely on the "hoarding" of 12 guns. How is 12 guns "hoarding". If that's hoarding, than we must be a bunch of terrorists. Hell, I was at 12 YEARS ago .... it called "collecting"

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    the ass has been shooting these off his balcony in the middle of the night for months - he is going to get every possible charge thrown at him - doesn't mean they will all stick

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    supposedly he was firing 6" class B mortars, not some innocent little bottle rockets, there might be something the judge knows and we don't, these days the paper is expected to take a dig at guns reguardless of circumstances or facts.

I shoot fireworks professionally over the Independence day period, and if this guy was shooting 6" mortars around condo's he's in a lot more trouble than local - you need a federal license just to touch the stuff, much less buy it.

That being said, I doubt that's really what he had. If he was setting those off, the response would have been a lot faster than "trouble locating the source" - they travel 600' into the air. Kinda hard to hide.

DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    The definition of hoarding is "Collecting and putting things away in an organized manner" so I don't see any big problem with it.

Plus you need a pyrotechnic license from the state of Maryland, plus there is the whole transportation and storage issue.............

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I shoot fireworks professionally over the Independence day period, and if this guy was shooting 6" mortars around condo's he's in a lot more trouble than local - you need a federal license just to touch the stuff, much less buy it.

That being said, I doubt that's really what he had. If he was setting those off, the response would have been a lot faster than "trouble locating the source" - they travel 600' into the air. Kinda hard to hide.

no doubt, , and not to mention the "uzi sub machine gun". Knowing how the news reports things, the guy might have been getting rowdy with a couple party poppers and an airsoft gun.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    The Sun Sucks

Yes, The Sun, is a totally F'd up newspaper that always blows things way out of proportion, but this guy is an a--hole and has made all legal gunowners in MD look bad ,because he is a reckless F'n MORON!!!

SigXFive

Mar 9, 2008
    Towson, Maryland
    Has the Sunpapers made a fireworks story into a gun story? From what I saw the guy would go out every now and then early in the am and set one off to piss off his neighbors. It would wake up just about everybody. Had been doing it for a few years. So he owned a few guns. The issue is still fireworks. My dogs get more use from the Sunpapers than I do.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    The definition of hoarding is "Collecting and putting things away in an organized manner" so I don't see any big problem with it.

Plus you need a pyrotechnic license from the state of Maryland, plus there is the whole transportation and storage issue.............

"hoarding" gives the image of someone stockpiling huge cashe of weapons. I'm not defending the guy for the fireworks, but 12 guns is not a stockpile of weapons in my opinion. The story should have been about a guy firing off fireworks because he's an ass hole and wants to piss off his neighbors. Instead the Sun chose to slant the story as being about some gun nut hoarding guns and preparing to shoot up the neighborhood.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    hoard Definition hoard (hôrd)

noun

a supply stored up and hidden or kept in reserve

Etymology: ME hord < OE, akin to Ger hort, Goth huzd < IE *keus- < base *(s)keu-, to cover, conceal > hide, Gr skylos, animal's skin
    intransitive verb

to get and store away money, goods, etc.

transitive verb

to accumulate and hide or keep in reserve

Again, the implication (by the Sun) is that he was accumulating massive amounts of guns in preparation for something devious later. 12 guns wouldn't get most of us through the top shelf in the safe :innocent0

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Again, the implication (by the Sun) is that he was accumulating massive amounts of guns in preparation for something devious later. 12 guns wouldn't get most of us through the top shelf in the safe

Good Lord, don't let them ever see Jeep's picture of his ammo stock....:rolleyes:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Good Lord, don't let them ever see Jeep's picture of his ammo stock....:rolleyes:

I heard Jeep only has one can of 223 and a single AR......but he has mad photoshop skills......

Its too bad I lost all MY guns and ammo in the car accident when the truck slid off the bay bridge last year....barely escaped THAT time..... :rolleyes:

12 guns, huh? And that's hoarding? Crap, I'm in trouble then. I'd prolly get a life sentence. Or maybe O'Malley would make a one-time-only death penalty allowance for me! I think I already owned 12 when I was 18.... 18 years ago!

But on the serious side, if the guy was repeatedly popping 6" mortars into the sky in the middle of the night, and I was one of his neighbors, that would piss me off.

Once or maybe twice (on a weekend night!) might be entertaining, but more than that and I start to call into question someones' judgement. I'd be considerate enough of my neighbors not to do that, and so should everyone else.

This guy clearly didn't, so therefore, something is "up" with him.

And I don't think we're talking a few bottlerockets off the deck, either. These things had to be pretty damn impressive to have this many people upset.

Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    A blond was opening an account at the bank with a substantial amount of cash.

Banker - "Did you hoard all this by yourself?

Blond - "No,my sister hoard for half of it"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom