• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    thoughts on using a sxs for turkey
    been going over this in my head since Saturday thinking about the 300yd crawl I did to try to get on some gobblers while dragging my 11-87 30" barrel.

I currently have one of these I was trying to sell a few months back
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129765032
    but it is only a 2 3/4 chamber choked imp, mod

I was thinking a sxs with 22-26" barrel removable chokes, and 3" chambers

What are others thoughts on this. I think it would be light, maneuverable, and kinda like a step back into hunting history with modern convenience.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Id think a double barrel would still be rather heavy, wouldnt you?

I use an 870 with 20" rifle sight, remchoke barrel and monte carlo stock. Pretty light, much easier to move around than the 28" bbl I had on there and the rifle sights are great.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The last turkey I shot with a mod choke and I could have easily used an imp/cyl. I've followed along behind a turkey before waiting for it to turn a little bit so I could see if it had a beard. I think the extra-full choke thing is over-blown.

Yeah, some SXSs are heavy. I've got an old 20 guage however that's probably lighter than an 870. It's certainly light than a Mossberg 500.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    my thought is that the sxs would be lighter or as light as a short barreled pump gun, also with the break action the total length of the shotgun would be shorter then the pump, the other option would be to get rid of my IAC with mag extension and pick up one of the newer style tacticool turkey guns

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    my thought is that the sxs would be lighter or as light as a short barreled pump gun, also with the break action the total length of the shotgun would be shorter then the pump, the other option would be to get rid of my IAC with mag extension and pick up one of the newer style tacticool turkey guns

The other nice thing about a SXS, if you put camo tape or a camo sock on it like discussed in another thread, it will only have to have basically one break in it. Maybe not even that in the case of the tape just make one turn near the breach/trigger a bit wider.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    The other nice thing about a SXS, if you put camo tape or a camo sock on it like discussed in another thread, it will only have to have basically one break in it. Maybe not even that in the case of the tape just make one turn near the breach/trigger a bit wider.

more good points, looks like finding a beater with 3" chambers may actually be a good idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom