• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    If all you're doing is punching paper and you're not interested in super tiny groups, ANY AR will work for you. $600 will get you a DPMS or S&W. Spend the rest of the money on mags and ammo. If you want super reliability and tack driving performance, get the higher priced rifles. The extra money is for the reliability.

I'm not looking for sub MOA, but I would like to be able to shoot decent groups. I don't know too much about the platform so I was hoping to get the most bang for my buck w/ the price range I listed (really $1,000-$1,200, prefer to be closer to $1k). There seem to be quite a few rifles in this range so I was looking for advice to narrow the selection down.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I'm not looking for sub MOA, but I would like to be able to shoot decent groups. I don't know too much about the platform so I was hoping to get the most bang for my buck w/ the price range I listed (really $1,000-$1,200, prefer to be closer to $1k). There seem to be quite a few rifles in this range so I was looking for advice to narrow the selection down.

If you're just looking to have some fun, you could always go 9mm AR. They aren't Maryland regulated, and they can cost roughly $1000 or maybe less. Also, 9mm is cheaper than .223/5.56.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    There are so many options, and everyone has an opinion. I have also struggled to find what I want/ need. I have stretched my budget past yours a little, I am deciding between DD and Colt, The decision is hard, I think if you do a little homework, you will be pleased with whatever you decide.

This election BS is really making it difficult on anyone who was planning an AR this year.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    I would look at a DD/Colt or a STAG. Stag has such a variety of levels to enter on. Something as simple as their entry level AR or something like the 2T or the 3G would fit your needs. The 2T has a quad-rail for tacticool attachments. So does the DD(daniel defense)

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    RRA have always been known to be very accurate usually at the expense of reliability. I can see not spending money on a rifle to punch paper. However to me my 6920 is my goto rifle and the one I wod trust my life to if need be. I don't feel like anything less than a colt satisfies that need. If you feel something else does...buy it. To the person that said lwrc etc...is above colt
    ..the only one I feel is above colt is noveske...but that's just my opinion.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    No offense meant but some people like to pay for a rifle not the name on the rifle. Yes they are good rifles but latest prices I've seen make me laugh. But I don't shop around much so take it FWIW

You aren't paying for just the rollmark and name when you buy a Colt. You are paying for a rifle that is manufactured by the same machines and held to the same standard/tolerances that the members of the United States military are using during a war.

I like Colts. They are priced extremely well when you actually think about what you are getting.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I've been looking at the Daniel Defense XV, XVEZ, and the S&W MP15X. All three seem good on paper. The two from DD are about $200-250 more and I don't know if I will notice a difference in performance/reliability between these models. Does anyone have experience with these specific models?

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I've been looking at the Daniel Defense XV, XVEZ, and the S&W MP15X. All three seem good on paper. The two from DD are about $200-250 more and I don't know if I will notice a difference in performance/reliability between these models. Does anyone have experience with these specific models?

Both are very similar it seems from looks. Difference I see in them is that the DD has a few features the S&W don't have. Some are no big deal and some are what others prefer. I see the DD has a magpul trigger guard ( makes for easier shooting when wearing gloves,cheap to buy anytime...about 10 bucks ), The DD also has a quick detach swivel socket in the rear. I prefer these myself. I also see the DD has a CHF ( cold hammer forged ) barrel. They say a CHF is better, as the metal is harder, etc....I don't know how important or just how much it helps. I also see the DD has a M16/Full Auto BCG ( bolt carrier group ).. It wont make it full auto, without other needed pieces ( then there is the legality issue if its full auto ). Many seem to like that style BCG as its suppose to make the rifle "run" a little smoother. I know for a fact that DD's customer service and quality are top notch. If you ever have an issue, they'll be there. ;)

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

You can't go wrong with either; with the influx of so many parts suppliers satisfying DoD contracts it's pretty hard to buy a really bad AR these days. You just need to decide if you want something that is Mil Spec, better than Mil Spec, commercial grade, or a variant that's not Mil Spec but of the same or better quality.

I'd buy the DD.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Colt makes good rifles, but I'm not sure if their QC has been lacking lately or what. The mold marks on the trigger area have been horrible lately from Colts we've received (6920 and 6940). All the Spike's, LAR Grizzly, Palmetto, Bushmaster, DPMS, Ruger, etc have all been nicely cleaned up and without molding marks. Not saying that "makes" the rifle, but it doesn't really show higher quality prices if they aren't aesthetically as nice as any other "lower end" rifles with better prices.

Dfence52

Apr 2, 2012
    Get a CMMG complete lower from Gun Connection for around $300 then get a complete upper from Palmetto State Armory for about $450. Order from their website they will deliver right to your house. That is $750 total. Spend the rest of your money on ammo and optics.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Get a CMMG complete lower from Gun Connection for around $300 then get a complete upper from Palmetto State Armory for about $450. Order from their website they will deliver right to your house. That is $750 total. Spend the rest of your money on ammo and optics.

Ahhh yes, even includes an FN barrel - Just like the Marines use. ;)

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County

I never thought of this option. So I won't need any other parts? The PSA upper in combination with a complete lower has everything I need to be operational and will be put together like you would do after field stripping?

Can anyone attest to the quality / accuracy of PSA uppers? The price point would be great, but I don't want to end up with an unreliable / inaccurate firearm.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    A Rock River National Match runs right around $1000 and is good even if it does have a crappy trigger (even Colt factory triggers suck dog balls). I have a Double Star 24" bull barrel that ran about $1100 and I replaced the trigger with a Geissele. It shoots 1/2 MOA if I do my part, I also added a WOP service rifle upper and that too will shoot 1/2 MOA if the shooter does their part. I will note WOP uppers run $1085 so that's used as an illustration not listed as something to buy given the OP's price point.

ATTom, getting a 1/2 MOA AR is easy, it just takes money. WOA, WOP, CLE, Gene Clark will all do it in service rifle configuration. Just about any in the 24" or 26" bull barrel spacegun configurations will too. But those are actual rifles and not light barreled carbines.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    RRA have always been known to be very accurate usually at the expense of reliability. I can see not spending money on a rifle to punch paper. However to me my 6920 is my goto rifle and the one I wod trust my life to if need be. I don't feel like anything less than a colt satisfies that need. If you feel something else does...buy it. To the person that said lwrc etc...is above colt
    ..the only one I feel is above colt is noveske...but that's just my opinion.

WOA, WOP, CLE, Gene Clark all blow Colts off the map.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    ATTom, getting a 1/2 MOA AR is easy, it just takes money. WOA, WOP, CLE, Gene Clark will all do it in service rifle configuration. Just about any in the 24" or 26" bull barrel spacegun configurations will too. But those are actual rifles and not light barreled carbines.

Fulton Armory sold me a varmint rig upper that's guaranteed @ 1/2 MOA using Hornandy TAP.

That was a few years back, $499. I remember the young guy telling me they bought their bolts from the same supplier as Colt.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    WOA, WOP, CLE, Gene Clark all blow Colts off the map.

Like ****. I could care less what soemones 24" match barrel can do. We are talking carbines...you know like 16".
    As accuracy increases, reliablilty usually takes an inverse dive. Its well known that RRA is very accurate at the expense of reliabilty.
    But i forgot the us military is knocking each other over to trade in their colts for an RRA:rolleyes:

Or if RRA is so awesome, why didnt they submit a rifle to the Army's carbine competition going on right now?
    I'll tell you why...there just one of the many johnny come lately's copying what colt has made since the beginning.

Dfence52

Apr 2, 2012
    I never thought of this option. So I won't need any other parts? The PSA upper in combination with a complete lower has everything I need to be operational and will be put together like you would do after field stripping?

Can anyone attest to the quality / accuracy of PSA uppers? The price point would be great, but I don't want to end up with an unreliable / inaccurate firearm.
    I actually just got mine today from UPS. So I don't know how reliable it is first hand but from research and word of mouth the PSA upper seems to be the best for the money. It has a Chrome lined barrel. U have the choice as to wheather or not u want hammer forged. PSA gives u options u don't have to get their bolt carrier group among other options. Go on their website and take a look an yes if u get a complete upper and a complete lower u can snap them together and fire away. U might need to buy sights separately depending on which options u go with.

wagtail

Oct 13, 2010
    Garrett county.Md
    Sold my Msar STG 5.56 today. And used those funds to purchase a "Anderson Zombie
    Certified AM-15m416ze". Since I bought the PS90, the Msar had not been out to play.
    Now the wait begins. Looking forward to meeting the 3 Hooligans + 1, at the range and scare a few rocks. Will take my tyme,and get a quality long range scope for it. Taking a Sig 522
    to Sang Run Sport shop tomorrow for consignment sale,if any of the group is interested.
    Question.. Jason has several spam cans of 5.45/39. In BIG letters on top of the can NC,
    in Russian cyrillic. Me thinks that it is corr. Price $205 for 1080 rnds..
    Any comments on my latest toy welcomed,Please be gentile.
    Wagtail
    Bud

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom