• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    Hi all, not sure if this is the right thread to ask this so my apologies if it is not the correct thread.

I'm in the act of my first semi-auto long gun purchase (for double the MSRP of course). I went into J&K Associates yesterday to use them as my FFL and they said the gun I am purchasing (S&W M&P15) is considered an "assault weapon" in MD and the fee is $60 with about a two week waiting period. Is this average and correct for pricing and timeline right now? I was under the impression that long guns were generally cheaper to transfer with an instant background check. But this is my first purchase of a long gun (I own handguns) so I'm mostly making assumptions. Hence why I'm asking on here.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If your M&P has a stepped, (Non HBAR) barrel, it is regulated in MD.

$60 is about average, $50 for the dealer and $10 to MSP for procesing.

The current wait time is 3 1/2 to 4 weeks for MSP to respond.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    that is a evil gun you got there. To make claim to that gun you must wait 5 weeks, supply 1 pint of blood, $3000 fee, and your first born.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I believe there are a couple of Industry Partners (IP) that will do the transfer for $40 including the MSP fee. In a perfect world, the background check should be back within 7 days, but I hear it's a lot longer now.

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and used them as my FFL. The seller is shipping my new toy out "within the next 48 hours" and they were nice enough to ship the mag to a friend in PA too at no extra charge.

I thought that the law was that the FFL submitted the paperwork to the MSP and then simply held the gun for 7 days (no more or less) to give the MSP time to respond if there was a reason to deny. I didn't realize they had to respond either way. I thought it was "Here's his/her info, you have 7 days to deny it or he/she gets it". I knew the laws sucked here but...damn...

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    We do a transfer for $30 to MDShooters members plus the $10 for MSP. So $40 total. You must tell my counter person you are MDShooters or PM me. My regular price is $50. The gun is regulated and I can't do anything to speed up the state. They have told me they are getting 450-650 apps a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom