Florida Permit fingerprint cards wrong??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I used Maryland Livescan for my fingerprints. They advertise fingerprints for the Florida permit system, but when I submitted my application, I received a letter from the Florida permitting office saying that my fingerprints must be done by a "law enforcement agency", and as such, my Livescan fingerprints aren't acceptable. Has anyone else had this problem?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    All Finger Prints submitted to Florida must be done by a law enforcement agency. Several of our students have encountered this problem. When called, Florida advised that they will only accept live scan from an in state agency. So all non residents must submit ink cards.

Make sure to have the name of the agency and the address of the agency clearly printed on the back right corner of the card. There is only one clear area to put this information. Here's a link and quoted part of the instructions.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/forms/Temp/T044715446.pdf#page=1
    FINGERPRINT SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
    You must submit a complete and legible set of fingerprints either on the FINGERPRINT CARD enclosed with this application package or by ELECTRONIC SCAN.
    Your fingerprints must be taken at a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.** Your local Florida county sheriff will provide fingerprinting service if requested and may
    charge a fee not to exceed $5. There may also be a charge associated with the fingerprint service provided by another law enforcement agency. If you have your
    fingerprints electronically scanned at a local law enforcement agency, please read the ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINT SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS included in this
    application package.

I understand that Florida's instructions are a little vague. But it's their playground and we are forced to play by their rules.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Check with various LE agencies around you - when you think about it, there are a lot, what with all the police and sheriff's departments. You can use google, or just call their information number. They usually have limited days and hours, and always call to confirm before you show up.

I had mine done by the Carroll County Sheriff's Department, and they were very friendly and professional.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    :thumbsup: Thanks, Chad. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

:thumbsup::D

Each Station has different days and hours to do cards. They only accept Checks and Money Orders from my memory, $5.00 per card if I believe.

I use them for my FFL Fingerprinting, and various Carry Permits.

The AACP site used to list times and locations for Fingerprinting as well.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Harford County Sheriff's office has suspended fingerprinting since they are awaiting new machines. No ink prints will be done anymore. You can make an appointment to have them done at the MVA though. just an fyi.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    You can make an appointment to have them done at the MVA though. just an fyi.

Is the MVA considered a law enforcement agency? I assume they may have Maryland State Troopers that do the fingerprinting. So that might suffice.

I know this is a hike for most Marylanders, but if you get desperate, you can go to the Loudoun County Sheriff's Department in Virginia to get prints taken. It is only $5 for non-county residents.

My home county, Fairfax, charges $25 regardless of whether you are a county resident or not.

Assuming that Maryland County Sheriff's are elected officials like in Virginia, I would check with Sheriff's Departments first. They would probably be most likely to offer a fingerprinting service. They might actually list the service, times and fees on their Web site.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Does Maryland still do fingerprints? Last I heard, they were sending everyone to Livescan.

Frederick County Sheriff's office will do live scan and ink prints every Wednesday at Frederick Law Enforcement Center (right behind the MVA). That is where I got my FL license prints done. Florida has not bounced it yet, but the app is still pending. They stamp the print cards with the Sheriff's stamp. Use the FBI print card -- they have them there.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    OK, Anne Arundel County police no longer do fingerprinting services unless it's for a liquor license. Baltimore County also no longer offers fingerprinting services. AA and BC Sheriff's departments don't offer fingerprinting, nor do the state police.

Unless you're willing to drive to Virginia or Pennsylvania for fingerprints, you're screwed for a Florida permit, now.

ETA: Thanks, esqappellate. Fredrick County Sheriff's Office does still do fingerprints; they're the only ones left.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Carroll County Sheriff does fingerprints on certain days for a small fee. That would be a drive, though.

You could just smash someone's window, then you'd get fingerprinted.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I called Florida permitting and asked. No go; must be a "law enforcement agency". It can't even be a contracted company on behalf of an agency.

Be careful with the LEA thing too. I know of a few places hiring off duty officers to do the prints. I don't think an off duty officer doing prints on the weekend and making a few bucks on the side equates to having the prints done at a LEA.

I think the statement "Your fingerprints must be taken at a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY." means that Florida expects that the prints are being done at the police station with the knowledge and authority of the agency.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Well this sucks, I was looking @ where to get them done for VA, looks like its going to be a little more of a hassle then originally thought.

Thanks for posting this information, makes it easy on us lazy folk.

Good luck.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Well this sucks, I was looking @ where to get them done for VA, looks like its going to be a little more of a hassle then originally thought.

Thanks for posting this information, makes it easy on us lazy folk.

Good luck.

I live near VA and during one of my trips to the Commonwealth, I just stopped in Winchester VA State Police Branch Station and the very nice officer did my prints for the VA out of state CCW permit free of charge. YMMV.

EDIT: You must already have the card, which is sent to you on request by the VSP, as part of the application package.

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    Baltimore county members can easily get prints done in Towson at the public safety building( corner of Goucher and Joppa) Thursdays and Saturdays. $5 a card. Must bring card with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom