• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    So trying to get a hunting load for my .243 and from what I've read varget isn't the powder of choice, but H4350 seems to do the trick. Anyone have a line on some? I can trade varget for a few lbs of it.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    First IMR 4350 and H4350 are not the same powder. Similar use, but NOT the same.

H4350 has been harder to find than Varget recently. But a bunch hit the stores a few weeks ago. Keep looking.

Sorry, I don't use it. I probably would have picked some up just in case, but the credit cards were already smoking. :)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    A while back, I picked up a pound of IMR 3031 and I THINK IMR 4350, when I was working up loads for my .45-70 Gummint.

I've not opened/used either, since I found what I was looking for, with Reloader 7.

I'll check tonight, to see IF that canister is IMR 4350, IF you want. :shrug:

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    If you're loading 100 gr pills for your .243 the powder of choice is IMR 4350 as it was always accurate in our .243's. I sold our remaining stock of IMR 4350here as wished still had some would eagerly trade for Varget.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    IMR4350 temp sensitive though? My understanding that H4350 is not as sensitive, like varget?

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Last I checked Varget is neither position nor temperature sensitive, since it is a stick powder. It is a bit of a pain in progressive loaders.

It is usually the ball powders that are more temp sensitive, but not by much. H335 is very versatile, and hard to find.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Stick (extruded) powders are typically single based and less temperature sensitive than double based powders. But even within stick powders, some are less temp sensitive than others. Varget is one of Hodgdon's Extreme powders, which are supposed to be less temp sensitive.

Most ball powders are double based, and tend to be more temp sensitive than the extruded powders.

Vihta Vouri powders can be triple based, which results in better very low temperature performance. Which you might expect with them coming from Finland. :)

Single/Double/Triple based is how many different explosive chemicals are in the mix. Single based are typically only nitrocellulose. Double base is nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. Triple adds nitroguanadine.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I want something that is not tempature sensitive...so I can develope loads in July and hunt in November.

H4350 seems to be it. And yes 100gr SGKs, BR2s in lapua brass.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    If you're loading 100 gr pills for your .243 the powder of choice is IMR 4350 as it was always accurate in our .243's. I sold our remaining stock of IMR 4350here as wished still had some would eagerly trade for Varget.

+1

IMR 3031 is great for lighter bullets. Superformance works well too.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    So trying to get a hunting load for my .243 and from what I've read varget isn't the powder of choice, but H4350 seems to do the trick. Anyone have a line on some? I can trade varget for a few lbs of it.

I disagree with loads of choice. Have you tried Varget loads?
    I have sufficient experience with Varget loads- 100 gr, 80 gr and a few
    55 gr v max bullets. all shoot very well and under 1" at 100 yds.
    The best group is slightly over 1/2" at 100 yds with 80 gr sierra BT's.

BTW Rifle is 243 Remington model 788
    Tasco 3x9 X 40 scope

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I disagree with loads of choice. Have you tried Varget loads?
    I have sufficient experience with Varget loads- 100 gr, 80 gr and a few
    55 gr v max bullets. all shoot very well and under 1" at 100 yds.
    The best group is slightly over 1/2" at 100 yds with 80 gr sierra BT's.

BTW Rifle is 243 Remington model 788
    Tasco 3x9 X 40 scope

I have lots of varget...I guess I will try that before I buy anything else.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I have lots of varget...I guess I will try that before I buy anything else.

Speed3:
    If you don't mind posting what bullets you have now, primers you have now, I can work with on a starting load. 1st thing is to shoot some factory loads thru your gun, just to see where it shoots in relation to bullseye on the target. try 2 or 3 of the most common weights you
    shoot.
    When i get home later I'll attach a couple data forms for you to track the loads with. Okay.

download to your computer and print out a half dozen or so. You'll need them.

Attachments

• reloadlog.pdf
      37.6 KB · Views: 49
    • LoadBookRangeCard.pdf
      358.1 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm shooting lapua brass, CCI BR4 primers and 100gr SGKs.

I did pick up some h4350 at the show to try as well.

It's zero'd now with Remington 100gr core locts now, so,shouldn't shift much at 100 yards.

brackishfly

Nov 17, 2012
    So. Maryland
    Picked up a pound of IMR4350 at the Tackle Box (So. Md.) a mere month ago, I was looking for H4350 but they didn't have any in stock at the time. Worked up test loads for a recent M1895 Steyr purchase (but still haven't taken it out) ;-(...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OP, I'm doing a karma for a pound of W760. I might be able to scrounge up an extra can to trade for a pound of Varget. Let me know if you are open to this. We can meet up at your place so I can try shouldering the PRS and UBR that you offered up a month or so ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom