• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    looking for a place to re-blue and Beretta 28" 390 barrel.. i have got it down to bare steel and polished.
    thanks

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    looking for a place to re-blue and Beretta 28" 390 barrel.. i have got it down to bare steel and polished.
    thanks

Have you considered rebluing it yourself ? I have been using the Birchwood-Casey Blue /Rust remover and then the Super Blue and finish up with several coats of oil. I have done several barrels and always an excellent outcome. Or you could just finish it with some Rustoleum Textures pain in black.

This is reblued barrel I did recently on a 410 with the B-C Super Blue. The 410 is showing examples with 1 coat and then the final third coat. Practically black finish

The other is my 16 gauge I did with the Rustoleum. The Rustoleum is well... awesome.

Rebluing with the B-C products is super simple. Bring it down and we can do it up for you. I have plenty of chemicals left.

Attachments

• TONYS 410 AFTER REBLUING - AUGUST 2, 2013.jpg
      TONYS 410 AFTER REBLUING - AUGUST 2, 2013.jpg
      57 KB · Views: 181
    • REVELATION 16 FINAL FINISH - JUNE 1, 2013.jpg
      REVELATION 16 FINAL FINISH - JUNE 1, 2013.jpg
      108.9 KB · Views: 184

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Brownells T-4 gives more even and consistant color than Oxpho . Supposed to be a hair less durable than Oxpho , it is still more durable than the mass market products.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Many shotguns are originally rust blued. Because vent ribs and double barrel can be soldered. And hot bluing will melt the solder.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have Brownells Oxpho Blue. I think it is a little tougher than BC.(which I have also used)

I will agree that there may be other products out there that are better, even though I have never used anything but the B-C Super Blue, but, now that I have found the Rustoleum Textures paint I have no desire to ever blue a barrel again. I'm all about that waterproof / rust proof Rustoleum finish now.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I will agree that there may be other products out there that are better, even though I have never used anything but the B-C Super Blue, but, now that I have found the Rustoleum Textures paint I have no desire to ever blue a barrel again. I'm all about that waterproof / rust proof Rustoleum finish now.

I am a fan of low maintenance as well but a nice rust blue and nice walnut is a beautiful thing. Most of my nice guns are safe queen heirlooms though. Give me a collapsable stock polymer and stainless any day.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Oxpho paste/cream or Van's

Yes heating up the barrel or gun works well. And you have to be sure and clean all oil off the metal.

Last edited:

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    looking for a place to re-blue and Beretta 28" 390 barrel

There is a big outfit in Accokeek.

Agreed, just got a gun I sent in to them for a new stock and it was turned around in a week. Great customer service. I have talked to them about sending in a 471 barrel for reblue, but haven't decided if I want to or not.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am a fan of low maintenance as well but a nice rust blue and nice walnut is a beautiful thing. Most of my nice guns are safe queen heirlooms though. Give me a collapsable stock polymer and stainless any day.

I won't and can not argue with a blue and wood combo. I hate and despise plastic and composite stocks. My argument for the Rustoleum finish is simply that my Mossberg 500 and Revelation 16 Ga. sees a lot of wet damp weather. I will stand in the rain for hours and shoot Geese and Crows and not concerned with the rust on the barrel or action of the gun. If it were a constant sunny / dry hunt gun blue is fine by me. I basically want to be able to throw the Mossberg and the Revelation in the mud and keep on shooting. Heck I only paid $30.00 for the Revelation I don't much care about it getting damaged, but, that Rustoleum sure is nice when you don't have worry about throwing the gun in the case after a wet hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom