• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    So here it goes a 1940 Mauser K98K 42 Code Russian Capture. The one I got from Auction Arms in this thread: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=52265

KeepShooting did the transfer for me. I am going to order the front sight hood, screws, cleaning rod, and bayonet at a later date. I first want to get the stock back to it's former glory. That's easier said than done since I have no experience in this area. So I would like you guys to walk me through this, I hear it involves denatured alcohol and linseed oil, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also wondering about that screw in the last picture above the trigger area, I don't see that in any of the Mausers in the Mauser Picture Thread.

DSC_2798.jpg

DSC_2800.jpg

DSC_2803.jpg

DSC_2804.jpg

DSC_2805.jpg

DSC_2806.jpg

DSC_2808.jpg

DSC_2809.jpg

DSC_2810.jpg

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    First, it's a nice Mauser. Take your time and learn before you go stripping finishes and fixing stuff. Understand what you're going to do before you do it.

I've recently restored several Turk mausers. Not the same rifle, but very similar. There is much to be learned on stock repair and refinishing on this forum: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php. Join, read a lot and send "Candyman" a PM there. He's a master at stock repair and refinishes.

You'll also get much advice here. But as I said, take it slow and plan ahead. And we definately want to see pics of your progress.

P.S. That screw above the trigger and under the bolt handle looks like an added crossbolt (recoil lug). It's not a normal action screw and could have been added by the Ruskies, You'll need to look closer inside to see why it's there and what it's there for. Could be a stock crack it's trying to reinforce. There are ways to reinforce cracks inside the stock that are invisible on the outside.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    P.S. That screw above the trigger and under the bolt handle looks like an added crossbolt (recoil lug). It's not a normal action screw and could have been added by the Ruskies, You'll need to look closer inside to see why it's there and what it's there for. Could be a stock crack it's trying to reinforce. There are ways to reinforce cracks inside the stock that are invisible on the outside.

My Norwegian stock I purchased has a wooden dowel through the same place. Seems a lot of the stocks separate there.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    My Norwegian stock I purchased has a wooden dowel through the same place. Seems a lot of the stocks separate there.

+1
    I have seen a few Norweigan stocks with a wooden dowel in that area.
    First time I have seen a cross bolt there...The Russians usually put it in the wrist area. It's to reinforce an internal stock seperation in the trigger area that is common but normaly never a problem.
    If it was mine after you strip off the shellac (if that's what you intend to do) I would cold blue that cross bolt just to make it less noticeable. I also cold blued the electro-pencil #'s to make them less noticeable as well.
    If you want it to look more "original" you need to remove the Russian blue from the buttplate.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    +1
    I have seen a few Norweigan stocks with a wooden dowel in that area.
    First time I have seen a cross bolt there...The Russians usually put it in the wrist area. It's to reinforce an internal stock seperation in the trigger area that is common but normaly never a problem.

So what you're saying is...mine is unique. XD Is this good or bad? :D

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'm about to take a second shot at the one I was doing. There is too much crud left in the grain from the russian shellacking. Just doesn't show off the grain like I was hoping. Might have to re strip and bleach it.....

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    So what you're saying is...mine is unique. XD Is this good or bad? :D

I think it depends on what you want out of your rifle. AFIAK, that extra bolt/lug near the trigger gaurd wasn't standard issue. If you want an R/C K98k its good. If you want to restore the gun as close as possible to the way it looked in 1940 when it left the factory, then, IMO, it's bad.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I decided to do a light refinishing. I wanted to get her a little lighter but for now she's okay.

Before:
    DSC_2812.jpg

DSC_2814.jpg

After opening her up, I found out what that bolt was for:
    DSC_2818.jpg

DSC_2817.jpg

Reinforcement near the trigger guard area, wish there was a way to remove it.

Finally, after a very light refinishing:
    DSC_2822.jpg

DSC_2823.jpg

Overall she's much smoother now, Russian red is off, she's a little more brown now. I may go for a second pass at maker her lighter in the future.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The Mauser looks much better. As you can see the reinforcement was added to repair the crack still visible in the pics. Could you remove it? Sure. But you'd need to put a cross dowel in its place. It's probably not worth the effort. If it was me, I'd cold blue the visible metal on the repair to make it less noticeable and call it a day.

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    The Mauser looks much better. As you can see the reinforcement was added to repair the crack still visible in the pics. Could you remove it? Sure. But you'd need to put a cross dowel in its place. It's probably not worth the effort. If it was me, I'd cold blue the visible metal on the repair to make it less noticeable and call it a day.

Wood looks nice but remember that it will never be anything more than a cleaned up Russian captured & refurb'd Mauser and that is a part of it's history.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I have the cleaning rod, front sight hood, capture screws, and sling on order. It cost me $45 as a package. Time to find a bayonet.

Does your rifle have the notches on the front sight for the hood? Your rifle is 1940 model, IIRC. If the notches aren't present your rilfe won't take the sight hood. Nothing wrong with this, just the earlier K98ks didn't have sight hoods and weren't designed to take them. Just an FYI for you.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Does your rifle have the notches on the front sight for the hood? Your rifle is 1940 model, IIRC. If the notches aren't present your rilfe won't take the sight hood. Nothing wrong with this, just the earlier K98ks didn't have sight hoods and weren't designed to take them. Just an FYI for you.

I made sure it had the front sight hood before I even bid. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom