• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1969Vette

Jun 10, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Hi All,

I am a new member of MD Shooters.

I found this form on the MD State Police site, named Form MSP 29-56 (MD State Police Regulated Firearms Collector Application) at http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/Collector_Application_Affidavit.pdf

From what I understand, this provides exemption from some of the waiting periods in MD. Is that correct? Does anyone know the process of completing this form (e.g., where to turn-in; the waiting period, etc)?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Ralph

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Welcome Ralph

since you'll be a collector you're able to purchase as many "regulated" firearms as you wish otherwise you're limited to 1 regulated per month. you still have to wait 7 days and you can complete the Form 77 w/ multiple firearms on it.

waiting on the return application is usually 1 month

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    It has to be notarized so they probably need the original but you will want copies. My primary reason for getting one is so I can transport for "private display" instead of just to/ from the range.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    One of the prerequisites is that you must have previously purchased 2 regulated firearms in your name.

The collector's status also gives you a bit more flexibility as to where and for what reason you are able to transport handguns.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    One of the prerequisites is that you must have previously purchased 2 regulated firearms in your name.

That is not true, If the MSP is stating that then they are not following their own regulations.

COMAR 29.03.01.04

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

alpm4

May 2, 2011
    I sent mine in about a month ago by fax. Called MSP Thursday they said I was approved (there is a "Y" next to my name she told me) but letter has not gone out yet. Not sure how long before letter shows up.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    That is not true, If the MSP is stating that then they are not following their own regulations.

COMAR 29.03.01.04

Agreed. However, the collector program does not cost anything and is also unfunded. The only reason it was started to begin with was because MD was concerned about the constitutionality of the one-gun-a-month rule so they made an exemption in case someone challenged it. The issue is that without funding they cannot run a background check on the applicant. Therefore they only approve a collector if he is in their system after passing a background check on a regulated firearm. That is the only way they will know if he not a prohibited person as per COMAR.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Agreed. However, the collector program does not cost anything and is also unfunded. The only reason it was started to begin with was because MD was concerned about the constitutionality of the one-gun-a-month rule so they made an exemption in case someone challenged it. The issue is that without funding they cannot run a background check on the applicant. Therefore they only approve a collector if he is in their system after passing a background check on a regulated firearm. That is the only way they will know if he not a prohibited person as per COMAR.

Nothing is in the COMAR, for the MSP to know. The MSP needs to follow the rules, just like the rest of us ;)

There is something going on with the AGC, to get the MSP in compliance.

JRBENJR

Jan 5, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    Engage Armament said:

You are correct, this is what they appear to be doing, although it is in contrast to what the law states. They did this with me when I applied. However, as soon as I challenged them on it, I was approved and had my "not disapproved" letter within a week.

alpm4

May 2, 2011
    How long does it normaly take to get the letter? I got the phone approval but in writing is much better to have

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

COMAR 29.03.01.04

A friend recently inquired as to why she had not received her collector status after about 2 months of waiting. She was told that she must have purchased at least two guns in her name to be eligable. That's where I go that info from. Once again. it appears as though the MSP is making up the rules as they see fit.

If you apply the law as it is written, you don't even need the approval of the MSP. A notorizes application is all that is required.

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Nothing is in the COMAR, for the MSP to know. The MSP needs to follow the rules, just like the rest of us ;)

There is something going on with the AGC, to get the MSP in compliance.

In COMAR its says "If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector"

The response from MSP is how are we to know if the person qualifies, i.e. not prohibited, if they have never purchased a regulated firearm. I dont agree with it but thats what we have. I always thought we should be able to fax over the designated paperwork with the regulated firearm application and they would automatically approve it once the person is "not disapproved". I think that would be far easier.

The AGC is going personally after Cpl. Cusimano which really isn't cool in my opinion. He has always been a straight shooter and helpful. Doesnt sit right with me on a personal level.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    In COMAR its says "If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector"

The response from MSP is how are we to know if the person qualifies, i.e. not prohibited, if they have never purchased a regulated firearm. I dont agree with it but thats what we have. I always thought we should be able to fax over the designated paperwork with the regulated firearm application and they would automatically approve it once the person is "not disapproved". I think that would be far easier.

The AGC is going personally after Cpl. Cusimano which really isn't cool in my opinion. He has always been a straight shooter and helpful. Doesnt sit right with me on a personal level.

The MSP contracts out the checks from what I understand, they can just as easily throw the designated collector affidavits in the pile, just like regulated weapons purchase request. The contractors are getting paid regardless...

Someone has to be named in charge, unfortunately it's a corporal. The good news is the state will pick up the tab in his defense.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

So you received that letter, too. That situation is a big clusterfluck and AGC should back off as Cusimano is one of just two decent people we have to deal with in MSP Licensing (as if we need to make more enemies:sad20:). This "Designated Collector" status is not funded and those applying for it are not charged for it by the State, so well enough should be let alone. If one is interested in obtaining the "collector" status, get in the system first with a regulated purchase then file for the status.

With the difficult economic times we're in, the State is in just as bad of shape, if not worse, based on the lowered tax base (reduced amount of employed people paying taxes) and paying out unemployment benefits to an increased amount of working people becoming unemployed. You may ask, "Why does this statement have any bearing on the thread topic?" The answer is as another retires out of "MSP Licensing and Firearms Registration Unit", that person's vacancy is almost certainly not going to be filled with another person; it'll remain vacant.:sad20: It could be possible that we may see an increase in fees and additional fees imposed along with a greater amount of time to accomplish a given task performed my that unit. These people at the firearms unit are getting hammered alot of the times with the amount of work to be done within the timeframe guidelines. If the economy doesn't get better soon, I can see this situation only becoming worse. I get pissed from time to time at MSP licensing, but I can, in most cases, understand their situation.

The above is strictly my personal thoughts and in no way represent the thoughts, words, deeds, views, of any organizations that I am affiliated with.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    Just thought I'd mention that I mailed my Collector Status paperwork in March this year. Hadnt heard anything so I emailed Corporal Cusimano about two weeks ago. Everyone on here said they got quick replies from him. I recieved a computerized reply stating that due to computer issues I wouldnt be getting a fast reply and it had another persons email address to contact. I figured I would ride it out and see what happens. Well today I got an email saying his computer is still down and "Also due to current manpower issues I will be tasked with higher priority issues and will not be able to process collector applications at this time".

Anyone else get anything like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Guest123

Latest threads

Top Bottom